This Just In: 2010 GMC Terrain FWD SLE-2

Drew Dowdell

now that you express this sentiment, i detect a tone of disappointment. do you now understand more behind what i was saying earlier? it really is a waste to develop two essentially identical product, put one slightly more attractive wrapper on one [up to you to decide which one] and then voila we have two competitors, except they're in the very same segment.

Exept thats not how they werfe designed, know think about this if someone was trading down from a full size truck to one of these little truck they might apreciate the looks and think the Equinox isnt styled truck-like enough, but if a different person was moving up to a suv from a little car they would probably like the 'nox's cr like styling better, GM was actually thinking when they thought this up,both of these trucks get more sales together than either one could by its self

When an extended cab 4X4 SLE-1 Canyon is in the $28k range, suddenly a sub-$27k Terrain SLE-1 AWD seems like a bargain. I wonder how they compare when it comes time to insure them.

Both of these vehicles (4x4 Crew Cab Canyon), as well as an Ext. cab Sierra 4x4, are in my list of possibilities in the next year or so. I'm leaning to the Canyon, wife said we should get a full size truck, but she really likes the Terrain. :)

I think the Terrain is a knockout. A really well-done vehicle.

I sincerely hope GM sees fit to continue to field an entry in the compact truck class, especially with new fuel economy regs coming, now is not the time for them to give up on the segment. They invented the domestic compact truck with the original '82 S and T-series.

The exterior and mechanical improvements to the GMT355 last year really make it a hard decision for me.

• 2 weeks later...

First off -- Thank you for all of the information shared. It has been really nice to read and use!

My question is: Have you driven the AWD version of the Terrain? If so, would you recommend it? I'm looking at getting a Terrain in the near future and am still undecided about getting AWD vs FWD. I live in PA if that has any impact on your answer.

Thanks in advance!

I live in PA also. I did test drive a 4-cylinder AWD Equinox prior to getting the 2010 Equinox LTZ V6 tester around Thanksgiving. It was marginally slower than this GMC Terrain 4-cylinder. For my own purposes, AWD is almost a necessity. My driveway is so steep it can double as a ski jump.

That said, I really didn't have any difficulty with the Terrain in the snow. It was no better or worse than any other FWD vehicle.

So my recommendation is... it depends on your needs.