I've been hit!

A page goes over the PA system at school (work) yesterday afternoon (12/22) for the owner of a black Cadillac to contact the main office. My office is next door, so I walked over to find out what was up. I was told that my boss, the school's principal, hit my car as he was pulling out of his parking space (we were both backed in, my car parked on his right). He claims that he was looking left to make sure no one was coming as he turned the wheel to the right and he clipped the left front corner of my car with his Dodge Ram pickup (the bed in front of his right rear wheel is what caught onto my car). He claims to have hit my car and stopped, backing up as to not block traffic (more like get more attention paid to him). Today I learned from some witnesses that he hit the car, continued to give it gas, and subsequently caused more damage to my car and moved it a couple of inches in its space, then backed up. Attached are the pictures I took using a co-worker's digital camera. Not a great way to start the holidays off, nor celebrate a birthday (today).

post-418-12615938709052.jpg

post-418-12615938776483.jpg

post-418-12615938826678.jpg

post-418-12615938880947.jpg

post-418-12615940862261.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Look at the bright side, at least you weren't driving your new Toyota Avalon...

(Stang Ducks)

Seriously...someone ran into my car last summer and just drove off...

Sorry to see this happen to the Caddy!

Edited by 66Stang

Probably 15 years ago something like this happened to my Dad..he was at the grocery in a small town in Ohio in his (now my) '69 Mustang, and the mayor of the town backed into the rear quarter panel, denting it and the rear bumper corner. The mayor conveniently owned a body shop, paid to straighten the quarter and replace the bumper.

Both quarter panels had been replaced (along w/ the doors, front fenders, floors, rockers) about 10 years earlier in the resto.

Yeah, we had a problem a few months ago... my sister's Sunfire is normally parked in the street in front of the house... well, we have a turn around in front of the house and people turn boats on trailers at higher speeds... well, I guess someone finally clipped the car... leaving a bunch of red and black stripes... I hate people... Security cameras will be going up soon.

Jeez!

Well, if you need any help getting the pieces, I'll happily assist :AH-HA:

I was heartbroken when the entire side was peeled off of my '95, but thanks to finding every single piece I needed used, the car was rebuilt & better than ever despite the age. We'll fix it...then again, in all honesty, now yours looks even more like the classic old lady example with crumpled corners. Ours were both scraped, albeit lightly.

It shall be fixed! Just consider it a little bruise!

I hope you are finding some closure Roger and I know how frustrating this is during the holidays and your birthday. I really do. your thread. I just know how painful it is and how you feel. Please let us know what happens. You know who it is, it will be fixed and it can be fixed.

This is not the best way to spend a holiday and a birthday.

You have people here who want to help you.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Arg..... That sucks, GMT. Sorry that happened. Sure hope the principal takes care of it for you. Somehow, I don't think he stopped ... the car MOVED for goodness sakes.

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Somebody snitched on me" ... Barry Gordon ... 'Nuttin' For Christmas'

Your boss hits your Caddy = Instant raise.

Too bad I'm a public employee (teacher) and Rich <the principal> doesn't control that. Hopefully he'll remember to "forget" my name when the lay-off list is being generated as a way to say sorry for damaging my car.

Geico, Rich's insurance company, called me yesterday to accept full responsibility for the accident and offer their repair facility to expedite the repairs at no cost to me. They have a local shop in the town next to mine (very local & convenient) and I scheduled an appointment for this Saturday, 1/2/10 at 11:00 AM to meet with an adjuster. The adjuster will prepare the estimate by figuring out what has to be done, how they're going to do it, and how long it's going to take, but I'm leaving the car there on Saturday and driving away in a covered Enterprise "full-size car" rental on their tab. I will be sure to find out what new parts they will purchase, what used parts they intend to use, and if they plan to repair any of the existing parts on the car (like the fender). I will also ask to see if I can stop by the shop and see the car during the repairs (get some photos for my records) or if they will do it if I give them a disposable camera. I'll update this thread after my appointment on Saturday.

I attached some pictures of the damage I took with my own camera after the holidays to document the accident.

post-418-12622146385263.jpg

post-418-1262214768807.jpg

post-418-12622147870938.jpg

post-418-12622149159649.jpg

post-418-12622149379121.jpg

post-418-12622149597147.jpg

post-418-12622149927402.jpg

post-418-12622150081272.jpg

post-418-1262215022112.jpg

Well at least you haven't been rear ended over, and, over, and over again, like ocnblu ... :smilewide:

Technically...this car got it at least once in the rear too, somewhat gently, as we found :AH-HA:

Otherwise, seems like the process is off to a decent start, and having gone through it twice with 2 Fleetwoods in years past, I'm here for Roger & any pointers.

Well, I see the oral gal of delphi is still in lurve with me. Rear ended over and over? Really now. :smilewide:

Looks like some small moldings will have to be replaced, I hope they're still available from GM. The delicate hood edge molding, the cornering lamp reveal molding, the upper fender molding (I see the plastic chrome is bubbled, a problem with those from way back, we used to keep them in stock for warranty replacement, I'm saying it needs replaced because they should not leave it on and tape around it when they paint and it will be near impossible to remove without damaging it) and the wide lower bumper extension/fender molding. You'll need a bumper rub strip, too, and I cannot tell if the face bar is bent by the photos, I hope not. Fender and hood look repairable, definitely.

Good luck with the gecko in getting your Patrician Lady repaired and back to her former glory, Roger.

Edited by ocnblu

Well, dropped the car off at the body shop on Saturday and Enterprise provided me with a 2009 Chevy Impala LT as my "full-size" rental car. They said that the car should be done by Friday, January 8th, assuming all of the parts they need arrive early in the week. Most of the stuff is still listed as "available" from GM, with only one part discontinued (and they'll search used for it). I will be sure to post pictures of it when I get it, and hopefully all goes smoothly.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Good stuff.

Having ordered various pieces for these cars in recent years...I think one thing unavailable are the "straps" that attach the chrome panels to the body. Actually, several of them were unavailable for years now, as I couldn't get them when rebuilding my '95 either. The body shop did great work piecing together a few key old ones, even broken, masterfully. If that's it, not a huge deal, and at least there's only 1 or 2 on a front fender. Seems like most else is good to go.

fleetwoodfender.gif

Ah...an Impala. Well, at least you should have a lot more front legroom :AH-HA: Otherwise, eh, but GM, so not bad.

Edited by caddycruiser

No word from the body shop since last Saturday (I will admit I am enjoying the Impala as far as how well & quickly it heats up in this frigid cold and the remote start, so I'm in no rush to go back to the Caddy right now!). I will call them tomorrow afternoon for an update, assuming they don't call me first to say it's done & come get it.

I won't harp on the Impala too much - a lot of people already do that anyway - I put on almost 300 miles so far with it and the experience has been okay to date. I will say that I do enjoy it's ride compared to the Epsilon cars I'm use to, and unlike the Caddy it doesn't have that "floaty" feel to it (I've gone over several "speed humps" and the Impala has handled each one perfectly). The 3500 V6 is quite impressive in this car, although it is a "loud" engine and can be heard both in & outside of the car. The doors feel "tinny" to me - something I've not felt on previous GM cars (none of my Epsilons, nor my wife's '00 GP GT Sedan, felt this way). The tires make a lot of noise too - three of them are Goodyear Integrity tires and there's one Pirelli tire on the front, but otherwise handle decently. Interior space is decent, but I can see where it's close to the Epsilon cars (I was also expecting the interior to be more roomy). caddycruiser - I will say that while leg room is good, the design of the floor (firewall) makes it uncomfortable for me to find a really good seating position and I've used the cruise control on my 7-mile drive home to find comfort (I do have some medical problems with my feet, so that doesn't help).

It's not a bad applicance - but that's the point, it really is an appliance. I enjoy driving it because it's not a 14 year-old car like my Caddy, but it's not something I'm craving to own when it goes back.

(2009 Chevrolet Impala LT, Slate Metallic/Ebony Cloth, 34K miles, DIC MPG Fuel Average = 22.6 MPG)

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

The doors feel "tinny" to me - something I've not felt on previous GM cars (none of my Epsilons, nor my wife's '00 GP GT Sedan, felt this way). The tires make a lot of noise too - three of them are Goodyear Integrity tires and there's one Pirelli tire on the front, but otherwise handle decently.

As the tires wear the Integrity tires quiet down. Also in our 2010 Impala LS rental we noticed that the doors feel tinny. That's odd because all 06-08s I've seen haven't been this way but it seems the 09-10s are. Perhaps a change in supplier.

Awe, I felt the same way when I had a '07 Malibu 1LT 2.2L for a month while my Fleetwood was being rebuilt. It was no Caddy, but cool old car to new car with new everything, comfy, smooth, efficient, new electronics, etc. and a lot more front legroom had me okay to be in the 'Bu. I enjoyed it. Boring as hell, but it was nice to see what having a perfectly perfect daily appliance of a car can be like, rather than a special. Kinda disappointed to give it up and get the Fleetwood back right before Christmas '07, but I adjusted :AH-HA:

Good review on the Impala. I still miss the 3.5L/4-spd from my G6, what a little torquer that sips. Vroom. As for the tinny doors...you're not imagining things. I don't know what it was specifically, but going from '08->'09+, the same thing happened to the Malibu. Well, marginally so, but something was different. Just not the same or as "whoosh" and I swore there was always just a hair more noise that got in my '09 vs. mom's '08. Think, decontenting, insulation or otherwise, under the skin and you'd have the right idea. Likely what happened to Impala too, insulating parts just got removed rather than the actual sheetmetal design changing.

As for the tinny doors...you're not imagining things. I don't know what it was specifically, but going from '08->'09+, the same thing happened to the Malibu. Well, marginally so, but something was different. Just not the same or as "whoosh" and I swore there was always just a hair more noise that got in my '09 vs. mom's '08. Think, decontenting, insulation or otherwise, under the skin and you'd have the right idea. Likely what happened to Impala too, insulating parts just got removed rather than the actual sheetmetal design changing.

Thank you for confirming to me that I'm not crazy.

The doors on my 2008 Impala arent tinny. I dont really hear the tires that much, less actually than the old cars. If I had one complaint, the back seat could be a little longer. Otherwise it is a very good car for me. I'll take proven design and engineering right now over new design that may have mistakes. Mine gets about 21-22 or so in town and 29-31 highway for fuel economy.

Thank you for confirming to me that I'm not crazy.

It's one of those things no one ever could figure out, but I remember first discussing it on a Saturn Aura forum after a member working at a dealer noted it as a 2009 vs. 2008 difference at the time. Then more and more people did.

Can't confirm totally, but it sure seems like decontenting you can't see...same as the triple laminated windshields on things like the Malibu/Aura. Another noise quelling factor noticed by some & not others. Having an '08 & '09 copy of the same model for a few months, I could confirm it.

Alas...Roger...any word on anything they can't get for the car yet, parts wise?

Just got a call from the auto body shop that the Cadillac repairs are finished and the car is ready for pickup. I plan to get it today between 3:00 and 4:00 PM.

SWEET!!! Looking forward to the updated pics! :booyah:

Congrats to you! I hope the repairs and appearance are to your satisfaction. I am happy for you..

Overall they did a nice job but there are a couple of issues that need to be addressed. I'll be taking it back Monday after work. I don't understand why businesses taut "quality control" when a blind person could do a better job! Posting this using the wife's iPod Touch, so I'll post more about this later.

The two issues - not major and can be addressed easily, but something quality control inspection shpuld have picked up on - include:

1. The filler panel between the bumper & headlights is raised on the right side (left side was repaired). This is due to the fact they removed the bumper. I have to bring it back so they can adjust the right side of the front bumper (also noticable is the fact that the right front fender & trim piece don't align with the bumper - how could I see it 5 secs after looking at the car & their quality inspector missed it?).

2. The left cornering lamp is not lighting up (maybe just a bulb issue?). The damage was done primarily to this area. They installed a new lamp assembly and don't check to see if the light works? I saw this after I got home, so I'll address this to the shop when I take it for the bumper adjustment.

They repaired the fender and hood, and of course that looks nice (shiny new black paint!). The chrome fender trim though was not available, so they repaired that and you can see a couple of dimples in the chrome. I guess I can live with that, though that's not what it looked like before the accident. I have some pictures I took Friday when I got home, I'll have to download my camera if my home computer isn't acting up again (it was yesterday) and I'll post the shots here.

Again, nothing too serious, but begs the question of why taut "quality service" when you obviously don't give it??