Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

NASCAR turns right, headed to Road America in 2010

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: Motorsports

ra-competitor-map-2009.jpg

Some motorsports fans take issue with the fact that the vast majority of NASCAR tracks are little more than a series of left turns. This is for you, roundy-round jokers. The official sport of the South is mixing in some right turns and working the brakes a bit more in 2010 with a pair of road courses. The first race, a June 20 Sprint Cup affair at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California, was already on the books, and now the truck racing series has added a second road course on June 19. The Nationwide Truck Series race will be held at Road America near Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, where a scenic 4.04 mile, 14 turn course awaits tailgate-loving NASCAR drivers.

We joke about NASCAR and right turns, but Wisconsin native Paul Menard thinks the biggest challenge will come courtesy of the brake pedal. "Braking will be the hardest aspect. Strategy will play a big part in this race." NASCAR hasn't run a national cup race at Road America since way back in1956, back when race cars used carburetors weren't as fast. Racing Road America will likely be a challenge for drivers who participate in both NASCAR Series, as a trip from Wisconsin to California inside of 24 hours sandwiched between a pair of tough races doesn't sound at all easy to us.

Whether you love NASCAR or you can't stand it, we're thinking middle America's racing sport of choice deserves hats off for mixing it up a bit this year.

[source: NASCAR | Image: Road America]

NASCAR turns right, headed to Road America in 2010 originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:56:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=4h4xf9_PEvM:9sTEbPundWA:wF9xT autoblog?i=4h4xf9_PEvM:9sTEbPundWA:V_sGL
4h4xf9_PEvM

View the full article

This is the Nationwide series (AAA NASCAR) The Nationwide Series has now become the most diverse series in NASCAR. They race Watkins Glen a Road Course, At the Villnueve Circuit in Quebec and now at Road America. So that's 3 road races and the Cup series only races on 2 road courses.

Throw in some actual "stock" cars and I'd be interested.

Should be interesting. Road America is an awesome track.

+1

I watch anything race at Road America, ok so thats not the truth ... I'd not watch Aveo RS's

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0