NewsFeeder

2011 Ford Mustang GT and 5.0-liter V8 unwrapped early

18 posts in this topic

Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Coupe, Performance, Ford

2011-mustang-5.0-gt_opt.jpg
2011 Ford Mustang GT - Click above for gallery of images

2011-mustang-5.0_opt.jpgThanks to some embargo breaking that's already occurred, we've known for a week that the 2011 Ford Mustang GT would pack a brand new 5.0-liter V8 producing 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. We thought those tidbits might hold over the internet 'till the official embargo date lifts early next week, but we were wrong and therefore are still awake at 1:30 AM on Christmas morning writing this post. Thanks to Jalopnik via MustangHeaven via BurlappCars, we have the first images of the 2011 Mustang GT and its new 5.0-liter V8.

You can read more about some of the engine's details that have already leaked here, but let's just take a look see at what we've got. Kudos to Ford for leaving the engine's tippy top unadorned and we also dig those 5.0 badges on the engine and fenders. Nostalgia FTW - OMG! An old fat guy with a sack of stuff just crawled out of my fire place! I think he's a burglar. Gotta go hide the silver, Merry Christmas!

[source: BurlappCars via MustangHeaven via Jalopnik]

2011 Ford Mustang GT and 5.0-liter V8 unwrapped early originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 25 Dec 2009 01:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=wdp7dQc1LRU:zrCuRvj7zJc:wF9xT autoblog?i=wdp7dQc1LRU:zrCuRvj7zJc:V_sGL
wdp7dQc1LRU

View the full article

Further proof that Ford understands Mustang people. So fitting, those 5.0 badges, and the motor is a beauty.

Cadillac needs an engine like this. The Mustang just needs an independent rear suspension and Ford would have it all right. Lincoln could really benefit from a rear wheel drive car, whether it be a Infiniti M style car or a sports coupe, this engine would be perfect for it.

TiVCT stands for twin independent variable camshaft timing. Sounds pretty sweet, Ford say it gives 5% more torque and fuel economy and 7% more hp than a non-TiVCT engine. Which makes sense, the Mustang V6 gained 35 hp on the Lincoln V6, and this V8 makes more power than Mercedes' or Jaguar's V8. Good job Ford.

I agree 'blu, Ford understands Mustang Culture...and that is a sweet looking V8.

However, I still like the Camaro better.

Chris

I'd rather have the Mustang. This coming from a 3 time Camaro owner. Nice job Ford!

There are going to be a lot of happy 5.0 fans out there tonight. I really, really want one of these.

Anybody else see the slight nod to the old 5.0 turbine wheels?

ford-mustang-gt-1987-front-1_219.jpg

It's a handsome looking engine as well, much better than the ugly 4.6 and no plastic cover like the Camaro's.

Sweet. I like.

pricing is supposed to be an barley more than a 2010 GT, they accounted for most of the price difference in the 2010 refresh

this is gonna make the 'maro to mustang gap a tad bigger... with how the mags rate them typically.

The embargo on this new engine was lifted today, I haven't seen a post on it yet, but I will say that Ford has maxed out the compression on this thing, 11:1 on port injection is very aggressive. From a modification stand point, this will be very un-friendly for boost.

The embargo on this new engine was lifted today, I haven't seen a post on it yet, but I will say that Ford has maxed out the compression on this thing, 11:1 on port injection is very aggressive. From a modification stand point, this will be very un-friendly for boost.

leaves room for DI huh? future enhancement goodness.

Is it too late for GM to buy this engine off Ford to put in the CTS and XTS? Ford likes to sell things off, maybe they will sell some engines to help a fellow domestic out.

I'm wondering if we will see this engine in other Ford cars...considering the Mustang will be their only US RWD car after the Panther platform goes away in '11, where will they use it? Maybe the Aussie Falcon?

I wonder where the NG Taurus and MKS will be in a few years, in the post-Volvo era.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'm wondering if we will see this engine in other Ford products...considering the Mustang will be their only US RWD car after the Panther platform goes away in '11, where will they use it? Maybe the Aussie Falcon?

I wonder where the NG Taurus and MKS will be in a few years, in the post-Volvo era.

Trucks?

Trucks?

Probably. I'm interested in the car applications, not interested in trucks.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor