Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I won't buy another car from GM if they kill Saab

12 posts in this topic

I won't buy another car from GM if they kill Saab

Will you support GM if they don’t support Saab?

with 2,248 comments

Hi everybody.

The mission for this website is to answer a very simple question: Will you buy another GM product if they do not support Saab Automobile by selling the brand to a willing buyer?

BACKGROUND

As part of their acceptance of bailout money from the US government, GM stated that they would reduce their brand portfolio. One of the brands selected to leave GM is Saab.

GM received expressions of interest for Saab early in 2009 and chose the Koenigsegg Group as their preferred bidder, however the sale to Koenigsegg collapsed in late November due to unacceptable delays in getting approvals from the European Union for a loan that was part of the sale agreement.

On December 1, 2009, GM announced that they would either sell or close Saab by December 31st. They began negotiations with Spyker Cars, however these fell over on December 18, with GM announcing that they would wind Saab down, starting January 1, 2010.

Despite repeated setbacks, GM are currently negotiating with two bidders:

Merbanco/Swedes – Merbanco are an investment group from Wyoming, USA, and are bidding for Saab in conjunction with a group of as-yet unknown Swedish investors.

Spyker – a Dutch car company that makes exotic sports cars, who are said to have a partnership with another Dutch investor, as-yet unknown.

There is some concern that General Motors may not get this deal completed. There is even concern amongst some analysts, particularly in Sweden, that GM may not want to get this deal completed, lest they end up with a competitor in years to come. I don’t subscribe to this theory myself, but it’s out there.

BELIEF

We believe that Saab should have a chance at life. We believe that Saab has given plenty to GM over the years, and received very little in return.

Saab have developed a business plan for the future, a plan that has been reviewed by the European Investment Bank, the Swedish National Debt Office and accounting firm, KPMG. The plan has been assessed as being viable, though not without risk.

Saab have three new models ready and waiting for release. These are the Saab 9-5, the Saab 9-5 wagon and the Saab 9-4x SUV. The Saab 9-3x was released earlier in 2009.

Saab have begun moves to consolidate all production, aside from the 9-4x, back into their factory in Trollhattan, Sweden, thus maximising the efficiency of this plant. Not that the plant isn’t efficient already. Earlier in 2009, the Saab factory won a LEAN award for efficiency, and when you’re talking about a country like Sweden that gets customers at a McDonalds to sort their own trash into groups, then you know you’re talking about an efficient plant.

Saab have a worldwide following of dedicated customers, as well as a huge historical market that it can tap into when independence is established and production lines begin to run.

Saab have never been the major focus of their owners. In early days, they were the offshoot of an airplane company. Later they were the offshoot of a truck and bus manufacturer. Next, they were part of the General Motors group and sorely neglected.

Under either of the two prospective owners that GM are negotiating with now, Saab would become the major focus. They would have a chance to really do what they are capable of doing without having to compete with other arms of the business for attention.

Saab have a future, if GM will let them live on.

———-

YOUR TASK, SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT……

….is to simply leave a comment if you can answer the following question:

If GM fail to sell Saab, are you ever likely to consider purchasing a GM product again?

If your answer to that question is “No”, the please add a comment to this entry with the following details:

Your stated intention to not buy from GM in the future if Saab are closed down.

Name (can be abbreviated for privacy)

City, Country

GM Cars you’ve owned in the past (incl Saabs)

This is not meant to be any sort of threat to GM, nor should it be construed as such. This is simply a chance for consumers to let GM know how the decision with regards to Saab will effect their choices in the future.

link:

http://iwontbuyfromgm.wordpress.com/

>>"My SAAB 900 Turbo AERO is from ‘88 and has 350,000 Km on it. if SAAB isn’t permitted to continue producing the most fantastic car in the world... I’ll buy a Trabant before I buy another GM product."<<

This dude is still on his PRE-GM saab, and he's threatening GM to never buy another (when his wasn't one anyway!!). Just : wow.

-- -- -- -- --

>>"I will not ever consider ever purchasing anything to do with GM and its products again...

2 opel mantas, 4 opel asconas, 1 vectra, 1 insignia (company car), 2 saab 900s classics (1 owned at present)"<<

This one had SEVEN Opels (plus an 8th Co car Opel), and 2 hoary, ancient, '80s saabs.... but he's not going to buy another Opel... cause his fweelwings are hurt. How?? He hasn't bought a saab in 25 years !!

-- -- -- -- --

>>"1 Cutlass 1 Ninety-Eight 1 Seville 1 Fleetwood 900SE 900S 9-5 Arc ‘06 GTO – (no more SAAB) = 0 GM in my future"<<

This can only mean he ONLY bought 2 Olds', 2 Caddys and a Pontiac BECAUSE saab was still selling cars. WTF kind of logic is that ??

-- -- -- -- --

It's just amazing.

I spent some time looking for the sites that are logging comments from those boycotting the potential BUYERS of saab that backed out- they are FAR MORE to blame than GM... but I'm having difficulty finding them. ;)

If there really are THOUSANDS & THOUSANDS of 'loyal' saab fans- go out RIGHT NOW and buy a new saab; without a doubt any sharp uptick in saab sales will delay the discontinuance, maybe permenantly.

Uh-oh; I smell a site logging comments from those boycotting the SAAB FANS WHO REFUSE TO BUY NEW SAABS coming...

And yes: someone really did mention the Vega.

The comments are spectacularly entertaining.

>>"...even though the GM product line is probably the best it has ever been, I would absolutely not by another if Saab is closed. Do the right thing! Keep people employed."<<

Except if you anger me... them I'm all for boycotts that put people out of work!

-- -- -- -- --

Some folk don't seem to be able to see the hypocracy as they list 8 saabs owned, meanwhile they beg GM to allow saab to continue under a competitor's ownership.... where the aforementioned will continue to go and only buy more saabs and no other GMs... like they already have been all along. Meanwhile, they call GM 'stupid'.

So you disagree with those who have said they wont buy another GM because they canned Pontiac?

Yes I do. I see no logic in that. And how many of these same people will tell you in their next breath that 'GM cars are all the same', so what exactly went away for them ??

The only way that this would be logical WRT Pontiac was if it was 1979.

It's the same as those who drag up the Vega in order to support not even looking at a new GM.

These folk are taking a business decision as a personal affront directly aimed at them. I don't entertain that theory.

Edited by balthazar

The truth is that any brand with a loyal following who have established an emotional attachment to the brand's cars will get this same reaction if the brand is killed.

I'm sure those making the decision expect it and have considered it.

If GM somehow sells Saab, the Saab loyalists will leave the GM fold to buy their Saab from whatever copany produced it. Really, their threat is hollow.

Yes I do. I see no logic in that. And how many of these same people will tell you in their next breath that 'GM cars are all the same', so what exactly went away for them ??

The only way that this would be logical WRT Pontiac was if it was 1979.

It's the same as those who drag up the Vega in order to support not even looking at a new GM.

These folk are taking a business decision as a personal affront directly aimed at them. I don't entertain that theory.

As much as I dislike SAAB going away, I agree with you 100%.

And I'd like to specify my position WRT Camino if I may - I see his position as quite different. He has very specific likes & dislikes, (putting aside the emotional roller-coaster of getting/not getting his exact preference) - so in his case, it's well thought out; not a knee-jerk emotional reaction. If he walks away, I can support that because the 'work' behind his 'answer' is there to see.

Most of these saab 'terrorists' are hypocrits, IMO ('I've bought 5 saabs, but I'll never buy another GM if GM shuts saab down!' -- so what, you never bought another one any other time). And the idea that merely stating 'This site is not about being threatening' is also mass hypocracy- that's ALL that site is.

Thanks Balthazar, I didn't want to have to explain that again.

I will add though, that I took the position I currently maintain specifically because of the G8 ST debacle, and prior to the killing of Pontiac. GM has been killing-off the stuff I love forever, the ST was just the last straw for me.

The truth is that any brand with a loyal following who have established an emotional attachment to the brand's cars will get this same reaction if the brand is killed.

I'm sure those making the decision expect it and have considered it.

Exactly!

It's not about whether or not the consumer 'knows his GM' like we do.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room