NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM up to their old tricks - plan possible re-badge of Saab 9-5

23 posts in this topic

According to Dagens Industri's sources, GM is planning to use the new Saab 9-5: an own model program, including a future Buick in the U.S.. GM is also in a letter to Saab's sub-contractors have estimated the time of closure of Saab to five years.

There are sources in Saab Automobile in the Dagens Industri - DI - indicates that GM now see positive opportunities to closure of Saab. By making use of Saab's technology, tools and production equipment for GM use the new 9-5: an - that would be launched in the spring - to a future Buick in the U.S..

In the GM is also talk of exploiting Saab technology for the production of a new premium car for Opel, "says DI's sources. It would then be about the reopening of the closed trial with an Opel Senator in Europe.

link:

In Swedish:

http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/gm-anvander-9-5an-i-framtida-buick-1.1019824

Use Google Translator.....

2010 Saab 9-5 to live again – as a Buick?

12/28/2009, 2:41 PMBY MARK KLEIS

With the likelihood of Saab finding a buyer dwindling with every passing minute, GM may be looking past the reality of Saab’s inevitable death. A Swedish newspaper is reporting that GM may be seriously considering resurrecting the not-yet-born, and not-yet-dead 2010 Saab 9-5 in the form of a Buick.

To those who have followed Saab over the years it is likely quite clear that Saab’s carry a very distinct design language – with lines of their own. So the news of a possible re-badged Saab may strike some as odd – if not impossible. At first glance, that may very well make sense, but upon further investigation and the realization that the new Saab 9-5 actually shares a great deal with the Opel Insignia (due to parallel development), the idea starts to make a little more sense – and less at the same time. It makes sense because GM has found some great gems in the Opel brand to bring stateside, but the problem here lies in the fact that GM already created a Buick on this platform – meaning there would be substantial overlap in the Buick lineup.

Saab has enjoyed very little in terms of design language reinvention over the last decade, but the new Saab 9-5, although true in general form to Saab legacy, actually boasts a fresh and modern design language of its own.

The speculative reports coming from the Swedish newspaper, Dagens Industri, suggest if no proper suitor can be found for Saab that at least the work done to create the now complete 2010 Saab 9-5 could possibly find life in the form of a Buick. Considering the recent renaissance within the Buick brand already taking place with the new, edgier LaCrosse, Regal and upcoming Excelle sedans – the idea of a “radical” Buick taking shape with lines true to the Saab heritage may not be so far fetched.

It seems as if GM is treating Buick as a type of testing ground for new designs already – so introducing one of the most modern Saab designs ever created with a more popular Buick nameplate just might be exactly what the 9-5 needed to finally achieve volume sales.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2010-saab-9-5-to-live-again-as-a-buick.html

I wouldn't call it old tricks. The 9-5 is a compelling design that GM doubtlessly spent a lot of money on. Almost everyone who wrote about it lamented about the design's probably fate of the dustbin. The 9-5 could fill a soon to be vacant spot in the Buick lineup once Lucerne goes out of production.

It's a great looking design inside and out that shouldn't go to waste. But it has really strong SAAB design cues..hard to see it as a Buick w/o a lot of changes.

As much as I would like to see the 9-5 in showrooms, I'm not sure how it would work out with a Trishield badge. I mean, the Insignia is a relatively bland, traditional notchback. People aren't gonna know it wasn't designed as a Buick, but the 9-5 will stick out like a sore thumb. :deathwatch:

I fail to see this as a badge engineering given the fact there will not be two vehicles in the same market - one wearing SAAB and one wearing Trishield.

We'll see ... I prefer a Zeta Park Avenue lifted from China to the USA via Holden with love ... :smilewide:

+1.

I'd love to see that...who knows, now that GM has gotten rid of some of the stale turds at the top, who knows what ideas will be greenlighted? :)

From the pics, the 9-5 would need a complete interior gutting to keep it remotely above the LaCrosse in design, language & expression. Exterior would need complete nose & tail jobs- only visible thing that has a sensible chance of remaining is the greenhouse with the fake cantilevered roof.

-- -- -- -- --

This was pretty funny, tho I suppose it wasn't intended as a joke :

>>"Saab has enjoyed very little in terms of design language reinvention over the last decade"<<

I think 1980 is a bit farther back in time than 10 years now. :)

Edited by balthazar

99% sure this rebadging talk is nothing but BS. There's a reason there was no Opel Omega replacement: Opel cannot compete in the premium segment. Period.

I think SAAB should be allowed to die with some dignity, but GM knows the brand has value so they have to tarnish it whatever way they can before they kill it. Then Opel will try to become SAAB in order not to be pushed out of the market by a fast growing Chevrolet. Let's see if that strategy flies.

Edited by ZL-1

I still just don't get this whole thing. Something about this saga just seems "off" and I'm not sure what it is...

I still just don't get this whole thing. Something about this saga just seems "off" and I'm not sure what it is...

Well, official word is that GM is looking for a proper bid and that if they don't find one then there weill be a wind down. That amounts to two options: sell or don't sell. If the road taken is don't sell, then either the brand is discontinued or not discontinued.

I don't remember if GM's CEO wording was of a wind down of the Saab brand or of Saab Automobile AB. That could be quite significant in judging GM's intentions.

If they do want to get rid of it, then it makes sense to drag the name through the mud.

Edited by ZL-1

Well, official word is that GM is looking for a proper bid and that if they don't find one then there weill be a wind down. That amounts to two options: sell or don't sell. If the road taken is don't sell, then either the brand is discontinued or not discontinued.

I don't remember if GM's CEO wording was of a wind down of the Saab brand or of Saab Automobile AB. That could be quite significant in judging GM's intentions.

If they do want to get rid of it, then it makes sense to drag the name through the mud.

Aren't you the smart boy ... :smilewide: It's all in the wording, same with my post, but then you know that ... :yes:

Edited by Oracle of Delphi

Aren't you the smart boy ... :smilewide: It's all in the wording, same with my post, but then you know that ... :yes:

Yep.

Lifted from China fully assembled or in parts? hehehe :P

No, no...I "understand" what's going on, processes, etc. There's just something about the way this is playing out that makes me doubt the veracity of all of the news sources. I know something else is going on...I can read the presence of subtext, I just haven't translated the subtext yet. Something just strikes me as off, and it's bugging the crap outta me.

No, no...I "understand" what's going on, processes, etc. There's just something about the way this is playing out that makes me doubt the veracity of all of the news sources. I know something else is going on...I can read the presence of subtext, I just haven't translated the subtext yet. Something just strikes me as off, and it's bugging the crap outta me.

Besides subtext, there is nuance. Maybe IKEA is involved in this whole plan somehow...hmm. IKEA, 4 letters, Scandanavian. SAAB, 4 letters, Scandanavian. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! :)

1st of all, there's something different from the brand phase outs in NA as, SAAB Automobile AB is a separate company and thus can be sold or liquidated, in all or in part. Pontiac couldn't be sold off, as it was fully integrated into GMNA. That situation feeds all the rumours floating around.

But I too sense something going on under the surface here, some subtext or untold story...

Edited by ZL-1

1st of all, there's something different from the brand phase outs in NA as, SAAB Automobile AB is a separate company and thus can be sold or liquidated, in all or in part. Pontiac couldn't be sold off, as it was fully integrated into GMNA. That situation feeds all the rumours floating around.

But I too sense something going on under the surface here, some subtext or untold story...

Exactly. GM isn't just shutting this thing down...they might end up doing that, but something is certainly also going on.

The fact GM has gone to the point to say there is no hurry should be a bold statment there are many things they are telling. How many times do talks seem to keep coming up again and again after they look done.

No matter what way this goes this car will live on in some capacity. Lutz has been a big fan of it and GM has been know not to waste things they like. The G8 looks to be on a second coming. Also in the past even the 1990 Fiero GTP was rehashed into the 4th gen F body styling.

The 9-5 in some modified form will show up some where as a Saab, Buick or Opel.

Exactly. GM isn't just shutting this thing down...they might end up doing that, but something is certainly also going on.

You know the plan, I taught it to you this this past autumn. Stall, Talk, Stall , Talk, Stall, Talk ... And then a miracle happens ... :smilewide:

Edited by Oracle of Delphi

Oh, I know. I majored in business administration back in the day, and I definitely know about negotiating, hardball-style. How do you think I got my Aurora for under 7.5k + free brake job and something else when it listed for 12k? I knew my numbers, and at the last minute before my final signature was to be signed, called the deal off over an inconsistency on the dealership's part, raised my voice a little bit, and suddenly they were really accommodating. Could it have been I was starting to create a scene and could potentially scare off other customers? Could it have been that I knew the red book value of the car, knew it had been sitting on the lot with no action the past 52 days, and knew at day 60 it would be auctioned off to another dealership for less than 7.5k? Hmmm...maybe a bit of each...

Trust me I'm familiar with the tactics. There's more than just hardball going on. GM's ultimate decision will either be absolutely brilliant, or incredibly frustrating, nothing in between the two.

You know the plan, I taught it to you this this past autumn. Stall, Talk, Stall , Talk, Stall, Talk ... And then a miracle happens ... :smilewide:

:facepalm:

They just like to torture us, don't they? :smilewide:

oh i get it. Kerk Kerkorian is gonna buy it.

I still think Elin Nordegren or IKEA should take it over.

Elin doing SAAB ads would instantly vault the name recognition of the brand into the STRATOSPHERE.

Does Dick Cheney have his grubbies in this?

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room