This Just In: 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS

Drew Dowdell

Interactive Review:

2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS

gallery_51_11_11745.jpg

Stock Image

This just in! A 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS 3.6 SIDI. The interactive review on the GMC Terrain SLE-2 went so well I think this will become our standard review format. My initial impressions are quite favorable. In a quick spin around the highway, I can safely say that the 3.6 has a lot of kick. The car looks stunning in person. So while I'm finishing up writing the GMC Terrain review, gear up your questions for me on this 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS.

gallery_51_11_74292.jpg

Hows the visibility? On the highway, I wouldn't imagine any issues, but high belt lines, thick pillars, and tall rear decks tend to be a problem in built-up areas.

Any circumstances where you wish for more than FWD? Torque steer? Understeer?

Thanks!

6 speeds and only 17/27 mpg? (20/32 imperial MPG, for us Canadian folks)

That's not actually very good mileage. Granted, it's a stunning looking car, these numbers aren't very reassuring in a world that has suck varying gas pricing from day to day. :confused0071:

It's only 1mpg highway less than the Camry/Avalon while being a more powerful engine. It's on par with the Lexus ES350. The city suffers because of the 400lbs. -500lbs. weight gain over the Toyota models.

It's only 1mpg highway less than the Camry/Avalon while being a more powerful engine. It's on par with the Lexus ES350. The city suffers because of the 400lbs. -500lbs. weight gain over the Toyota models.

:AH-HA: Ahh so it's not so bad then! I see the malibu as having a lot better mileage, and that was what I was basing my post on. But that's a 2.4 Malibu. ;)

Rear visibility is pretty limited--that much I was able to discern from LAIAS.

I'd appreciate your opinion, Oldsmoboi, in areas of rear visibility, trunk (design, size, usability, etc), driving dynamics, steering weight, cupholder design, and overall levels of fit and finish.

NVH--Noise, Vibration, Harshness. i.e. is it quiet and smooth as would be expected of a Buick...any excess road noise, wind noise, engine noise/vibration, etc?

I forgot my :AH-HA:.

I know what NHV is.... I was joking that since this was a Buick, it naturally wouldn't have any.

Found a minor gripe fairly quickly. There is no interior trunk release? Is this becoming common on new cars?

Pretty annoying, huh? That said, it certainly removes a security issue. Never understood why GM cars always came with a valet key, but never a valet fob, which would be so much more useful than key alone.

Now, neither.

Hows the visibility? On the highway, I wouldn't imagine any issues, but high belt lines, thick pillars, and tall rear decks tend to be a problem in built-up areas.

Any circumstances where you wish for more than FWD? Torque steer? Understeer?

Thanks!

yes, i was also wondering about torque steer with the large engine

what's this thing making for power anyways?

Edited by CanadianBacon94

My wife and I were able to take one for a lengthy drive and I found the 2010 LaCrosse to be the most comfortable car I have ever driven. It seemed the perfect car for I-5 or other long interstates. Our friends 2009 acura tl is MUCh noisier, seems to jolt you around more and has more confusing controls.

How do you think it compares to cars twice the price when it comes to highway cruising?

Heard a lot about these cars and just drove one yesterday.

Gotta say, the car was pretty nice. I didn't notice the lack of trunk release. Not sure it would matter in the end though. My Corolla has a remote release but lacks the release on the key fob. To be honest, I miss having a release on the key fob far more than anything else.

On my '06 you hold the "Unlock" on the door locks for a couple seconds. Hate to sound like an @$, but have you tried that?

Doesn't work. I did try it.

However, I did find that you can leave the fob in your pocket, just walk up to the trunk, and lift it open. It's got that proximity detection thing in it.

yes, i was also wondering about torque steer with the large engine

what's this thing making for power anyways?

280hp/259 ft/lbs

It does have some torque steer and I'm trying to get some power curve graphs out of GM for these engines. Yeah, the peak is all the way up at 6300rpm, but it's got gobs of power over the entire RPM range.

Quite honestly, I think this is the limit for FWD on this platform. Anything more powerful would have to be AWD.

Hmm no interior trunk release would be slightly annoying, if only because every car we own besides the Prizm has it, and it's just habit to push the button while getting out of the car to get at what's in the trunk. But it's not a huge deal, there is a fob after all.

My only complaint so far is the lack of pics and that I have to wait for the full review for them. :P

Here's a question for Camino to ask, since he's a gangsta: How does it look in white with dark tinted windows, 20" blingy rims, chromed-out B-pillar trim and a second set of portholes stuck to the fenders?:)

Hmm no interior trunk release would be slightly annoying, if only because every car we own besides the Prizm has it, and it's just habit to push the button while getting out of the car to get at what's in the trunk. But it's not a huge deal, there is a fob after all.

A trunk release button would be a little redundant given the fact that as long as the key fob is in your pocket all u have to do is lift the trunk to open it . No buttons to push at all .

• Agree 1

Even the most basic Cobalt has an inside trunk release, hidden inside a small compartment left of the steering column. Over at Edmunds, it's funny to read the dipwads writing reviews on Cobalts they RENT, crying about the lack of an inside trunk release. Look around, you dopes.

It's infinitely cooler, however, to just have the transmitter in your pocket and be able to open it with no outwardly visible means, as with the 2010 LaCrosse.

Even the most basic Cobalt has an inside trunk release, hidden inside a small compartment left of the steering column. Over at Edmunds, it's funny to read the dipwads writing reviews on Cobalts they RENT, crying about the lack of an inside trunk release. Look around, you dopes.

It's infinitely cooler, however, to just have the transmitter in your pocket and be able to open it with no outwardly visible means, as with the 2010 LaCrosse.

I don't remember looking for the inside release on the rental Cobalt I had a couple years ago, I just used the remote to open it when outside, IIRC.

So I'm not following w/ the '10 LaCrosse..is this a button on the fob (like many cars have) or does the trunk automatically unlock when you approach it w/ the fob...there would still have to be a latch to release and open it. And does it lock automatically when you shut it?

One of the things that took me a while to get used to w/ Benzes and BMWs is that the trunks can be shut but not locked...never seen an American car w/ that property.

Apparently, I make ricers twitchy with this thing.

The other night, returning home after seeing Sherlock Holmes with friends, this riced out Acura Vigor pulls up next to me at the light, looking over at me, reving the engine, pulling forward, etc.

Here we are, four 30 somethings in a Buick. I really had no intentions of humouring the douchebag. But when the light changed and he farted away from me. My friend in the back says "You're gonna let him get away with that?"

Well ok then. I put my foot down and immediately caught up with him. He in turn farted louder as I blew right by.

Not exactly a difficult victory, but still.

Next up was a Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe that I swear was trying to run away from me on this fun twisty road that I know. The big girl rolls a bit in the turns, but she holds on. I kept right on that Altima's tail the whole time. It's not a BMW 3-series and never will be, but it's far more fun than any Buick has business being.

I'm waiting for power curve graphs from GM Powertrain because this thing has way more power than it has any reason to have. The 6-speed auto does a great job of keeping you in power.... but the crux of it is, that there seems to be plenty of power all over the rpm band. It just pulls and pulls and pulls.

The one thing that impresses me about this vehicle is how solid and vault like it feels. The title of the full review article is probably going to be "Buick Lacrosse: Personal Luxury Locomotive"

There is a button on the fob that will fully open the trunk if you press it.

If the car is locked and you have the fob in your pocket, just walk up to the car and lift the trunk lid.

If the car is locked and you don't have the fob in your pocket, well go back inside and get it dummy cause you're not opening the trunk without it.

Does the '10 LaCrosse have one of those little rubber-covered electrical trunk releases tucked under the chrome trim molding on the lid?

yes

My VWs were like that, as well.

That's where I first encountered a trunk like that. A buddy in college had a 2nd gen Jetta..just like my sister's Mercs, it had a button for the trunk release. That wierded me at first out that you could shut the trunk w/o locking it. The hatch on my Jeep (and the Bronco II before that) work that way, but w/ a handle.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Found a minor gripe fairly quickly. There is no interior trunk release? Is this becoming common on new cars?

On my '06 LaCrosse the interior trunk release is accomplished by pushing and holding in the top side of the door lock button. I'm curious how you feel about the overall size since this is soon to be the largest Buick sedan after the Lucerne dies next year.

Backseat comfort for adults?

I know in the back seat there is a hard plastic cover on the front seatback that has imprints in it for legs. I sat in one with the drivers seat all the way back and it was tight but not uncomfortable. I am 6'4''.

Question: Have you found any of the chrome to put off an annoying glare when the sun hits it?