Cheers and Gears Drives: 2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2

Drew Dowdell

Cheers and Gears Drives:

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 FWD I4

By: Drew Dowdell

Photography by: Drew Dowdell and Joe Joyner

gallery_51_10_318031.png

Following our review of the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ, we decided to try something different for this GMC Terrain cousin. This time, I wanted to know what you wanted to know while I was evaluating the vehicle. This gave birth to a unique new concept called the Interactive Review. Well, today I gave the GMC Terrain back to General Motors and picked up a 2010 Buick LaCrosse. The Interactive Review of Buick Lacrosse is underway here.

gallery_51_10_571116.png

The GMC Terrain is GM's most recent entry into the compact crossover segment using the same Theta platform as the Chevrolet Equinox, Saturn Vue, and Opel Antara. GMC is marketing the Terrain to people who want a little something more from their cute-ute.... namely.. looks that are more on the masculine side of the scale. That's not to say that the handsome Chevrolet Equinox looks feminine, the Terrain just looks more brash. The GMC looks like a downsized version of the big daddy GMC Yukon. My partner, who is not at all into cars, preferred the more upscale look of the GMC, likening it to a Cadillac, in spite of a $4,000 lower sticker price for the non-loaded GMC. Without a measuring tape in hand, the Terrain looks bigger than it's corporate cousin, however that doesn't play out when you look at the numbers. Dimensionally, they are the same vehicle.

gallery_51_10_940876.png

Most of the questions I got about the Terrain were in regards to the 4-cylinder power plant. I can safely say that if AWD is not a concern (I haven't tested an AWD version of these vehicles), the direct injected 182 horsepower I4 in this Terrain will satisfy all but the most power hungry. The Terrain will break the front tires loose if you put your foot in it and it feels very peppy around town. The 6-speed automatic it's attached to makes shifting quick and smooth. The only time I had a hunger for more power was the occasional passing maneuver on the highway. Here in the C&G hometown of Pittsburgh, we don't have many flat and level highways, so passing uphill sometimes required some planning. The automatic, however, was plenty willing to downshift twice if need be, and once it did, you were off to the races. Unusual for a 4-cylinder is the Terrain's ability to hold 70mph at just 2050 rpm. This helps, along with some high tech active sound cancellation in the Pioneer audio unit, to give you a fairly quiet highway ride. There was slightly more wind noise noticeable in the Terrain compared to the Equinox, but it was mostly noticeable because everything else was so quiet. When driven conservatively, the Terrain's engine is barely audible. Put your foot firmly on the right pedal and you'll awake a V6 like growl. My one week stay with the Terrain was 95% city driving... during the final shopping days of Christmas and a couple of good snowstorms... as such I only got 22.1 mpg.

gallery_51_10_719686.png

One thing I should mention here is the Eco-Mode option available on just the 4-cylinder versions of these vehicles. According to GM, Eco-Mode improves engine efficiency by lowering the idle RPM, upshifting the transmission sooner, downshifting it later, reducing throttle sensitivity, and locking up the torque converter at a much lower rpm. When in Eco-Mode, driving refinement suffers slightly, but not so much as to be noticeable. You can feel the difference, but only if you're looking for it. Even in Eco-mode, the Terrain is more refined than my 2004 Honda CR-V. My suggestion is to try both and then leave it in Eco-Mode for the gas savings.

Most of the driving dynamics carry over from the Chevrolet Equinox we tested last month, however there is a noticeable difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder models. In the V6, the weight is more noticeable... not cumbersome, but you can feel it's there. The 4-cylinder, though only about 100lbs lighter, actually feels lighter. I'm not sure if this is due to the actual weight of the vehicle or the tuning of the electric assist steering (standard hydraulic power assist comes on the V6). The electric assist feels just slightly overboosted at parking lot speeds but firms up nicely at anything over 25mph.

Pretty on the inside

Instead of the dual cowl Chevrolet dash, a large trapezoid overlays the instrument pod and center stack. The interior of the Terrain gets a slightly more upscale treatment than it's Chevy cousin with extra chrome and faux leather padding with contrast stitching on the instrument pod. Instead of blue ambient lighting, the GMC gets red. If the ambient interior lighting of the Equinox made you feel like you were piloting a starship, the red in the Terrain feels like you're at the helm of a nuclear attack sub.

My minor complaint about the green indicators in the speedometer are obviously still there.

gallery_51_10_162580.png

Some things I failed to mention on the Equinox review were the great cruise control, were you set the speed through a digital readout on the dash

and, important for parents, a rear door child power lockout control on the center stack. This button allows you to be a parent during the day, preventing your kids from opening doors without you, and in the evening take your friends out on the town without having to open the door for them or fumbling for a small switch in the door. I had my partner's nieces with me on my final night with the Terrain and with the touch of a button, I was able to prevent them from opening the rear door even if it was unlocked.

gallery_51_10_649741.png

I was disappoint to find a couple of fit issues in the seams of the dash panels where it meets the center stack. Tellingly, it was only in places where the part was a different shape than that on the Equinox.

The seats...well, I simply cannot do them justice in this text. The outer border of the seat is in a robust, but pleasant to the touch solid color fabric. The inlay is a type of sports mesh that is at once very comfortable while providing great lateral support...and in the SLE-2 package, they are heated. Even if you aren't in the market for a compact crossover but find yourself at a Chevrolet or GMC dealer, do yourself a favor and sample the seats available in these two vehicles.

gallery_51_10_1486447.png

Overall, both the GMC Terrain and Chevrolet Equinox are setting new standards for comfort and convenience in the compact CUV segment. My personal inclination is to go with the slightly more upscale Terrain but either way you choose, you'll get yourself a winning vehicle.

Cheers

Peppy I4 around town

32 EPA highway mpg

Great front bucket seats

Jeers

same flimsy fuel door as the Equinox

off color and too bright indicators in the dash

some minor interior panel alignment issues

Test Vehicle info

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 FWD I4 6-speed automatic

EPA Fuel Economy 22/32 city/highway

Horsepower: 182 @ 6700 rpm

Lbs. - Ft. Torque: 172 @ 4900 rpm

As Tested MSRP: $27,285

2010 GMC Terrain photo gallery

no way you can say that from these pics. it looks fine.

This coming from the guy who thinks he can make interior material judgments based on a couple press photos.

Panel misalignment is something you can actually deduce from photos. At least the color shades match. I Terrain at the auto show had a different shade of lower dash plastic than the center stack plastic it met with.

• Agree 1

If Drew was trying to show a fit and finish issue in his center stack photo, I can't see it. Can someone point out the problem?

Nice review. Beautiful vehicle.

gallery_51_10_649741.png

Look at the vertical seam in the lower right corner of this photo by the HVAC vent. The gap appears to be wider on the top than it is on the bottom. There's also an issue with that same center stack panel where it meets the top part of the dash directly underneath the vent. The gap there is narrower than the gap between the lower dash and the upper dash. I see what he's saying, but I also see what he's saying in that it's minor. I've seen worse in more expensive vehicles. If he were an average driver and not a keen-eyed reviewer, that would probably go unnoticed.

How did you find the overall layout of the controls? Did you find yourself looking to the owners's manual or was everything typical GM stuff? Overall good review and great job incorporating the request/etc from the first review.

Wasn't a problem. The only thing I didn't find right away on the Equinox was the power door locks which are on the center stack rather than the doors. The Lacrosse I just got has the same thing, albeit better marked. So I'm guessing this will be a new GM thing.

I can't see such microscopic changes in a panel gap being a selling issue. I think this is a majorly important vehicle for the "New GM". I love the Terrain. And those panel gaps are no worse than ANY japanese competitor.

Yeah, that's why I described it as minor. Compared to the Equinox however, it really stood out.

• Agree 1

I think you guys are taking this panel-gap issue to a new extreme.

I mean, BFD... getting out the micrometer? LOL... getting out the microscope... Nobody is going to be satisfied until GM starts using nanobots and the car is manufactured in one piece, as an atom-by-atom perfect copy.

I wish everyone attacked the styling shortcomings on modern cars and trucks as vigorously.

• Disagree 2

I think you guys are taking this panel-gap issue to a new extreme.

I mean, BFD... getting out the micrometer? LOL... getting out the microscope... Nobody is going to be satisfied until GM starts using nanobots and the car is manufactured in one piece, as an atom-by-atom perfect copy.

I wish everyone attacked the styling shortcomings on modern cars and trucks as vigorously.

Well, GM thought it was no big deal for the last 3 decades, and they got knocked in the press for it. Consumers notice stuff like that, especially when they spend so much money on a new car, and it leads to a perception of low quality. When the superficial details are wrong, people assume the mechanicals aren't well-built either. GM is NOT on top, which is why Toyota gets more of a free pass in the press. GM is the underdog with something to prove. It has to change public perception, and to change minds one has to be as close to perfect as possible. That's why the Lacrosse is so good--it has blown the ES350, the standard-bearer of its class, completely out of the water. So has the Malibu, and so has the Equinox.

THAT'S why, albeit minor, this stuff actually does matter. You're on a GM fan website, so we pretty much can assume you like the company, and have for a while, so these things don't bother you. But when you have Toyota fanbois running around at auto shows taking photos and video of themselves pulling off pieces of interior trim because of poor fit-and-finish, it reflects badly on GM, even if the same can be done for said Toyotas. Do a forum search for auto show coverage posts by Polish_Kris if you don't know what I'm talking about.

• Agree 1

Sounds like a great vehicle, and I prefer the styling over that of the Equinox by a mile.

Also, thanks for the vid of the light cluster operation! I know it seems like an odd request, but Volvo used to (and still might) put a lighting feature on their website so you could see what the interior and exterior lighting of all their vehicles looked like. I wish more companies would do this.

And about that panel gap, I didn't even notice it until z28 pointed out exactly what was wrong...

Well, GM thought it was no big deal for the last 3 decades, and they got knocked in the press for it. Consumers notice stuff like that, especially when they spend so much money on a new car, and it leads to a perception of low quality. When the superficial details are wrong, people assume the mechanicals aren't well-built either. GM is NOT on top, which is why Toyota gets more of a free pass in the press. GM is the underdog with something to prove. It has to change public perception, and to change minds one has to be as close to perfect as possible. That's why the Lacrosse is so good--it has blown the ES350, the standard-bearer of its class, completely out of the water. So has the Malibu, and so has the Equinox.

THAT'S why, albeit minor, this stuff actually does matter. You're on a GM fan website, so we pretty much can assume you like the company, and have for a while, so these things don't bother you. But when you have Toyota fanbois running around at auto shows taking photos and video of themselves pulling off pieces of interior trim because of poor fit-and-finish, it reflects badly on GM, even if the same can be done for said Toyotas. Do a forum search for auto show coverage posts by Polish_Kris if you don't know what I'm talking about.

If you look inside and outside any new Toyota, and even my 2005, the panel gaps aren't even. My car interior isn't any better put together inside than my previous car, an 02 Sunfire GT.

If you look inside and outside any new Toyota, and even my 2005, the panel gaps aren't even. My car interior isn't any better put together inside than my previous car, an 02 Sunfire GT.

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, though your post seems to support my point on Toyota to an extent. That said, I definitely think that in 2010 GM should aspire to more than matching the build quality of a 2002 J-body.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Well I just called that chick Flo @ Progressive, and she said a 2010 Equinox AWD 1LT 4 cylinder would cost $39 more over a six-month term to insure than my Cobalt, while a 2010 Colorado 1LT regular cab 4X4 5 cylinder would cost $75 more than my Cobalt over the same period. I gave her VINs of vehicles I located online, just as examples, for checking the relative cost to insure a compact pickup and crossover, if anyone's interested.

try it before you knock it.

in tan that seat cloth looks really nice, almost euro. one of the best cloth interiors i have seen recently. anyone who disagrees hasn't shopped enough lately to see a lot of the really poor seat cloth that is out there in these price classes lately.

the eek and terrain cloth seats are the exact same i think. just like the G6, Malibu, Aura cloth seats were identical.

Edited by regfootball

Well I just called that chick Flo @ Progressive, and she said a 2010 Equinox AWD 1LT 4 cylinder would cost $39 more over a six-month term to insure than my Cobalt, while a 2010 Colorado 1LT regular cab 4X4 5 cylinder would cost $75 more than my Cobalt over the same period. I gave her VINs of vehicles I located online, just as examples, for checking the relative cost to insure a compact pickup and crossover, if anyone's interested.

That's actually good to know. Is your Cobalt a coupe or sedan? Usually a 2dr commands a higher premium...

Thanks Drew for the review, the pictures, and the YouTube videos. Although your review was good, I'm still not sure about the 4cyl engine over the V6 if I were to buy one. I can see the benefits of the 4cyl, but after owning the '07 SKY and wishing it had a V6, I'm sure I'd want the V6 in the Terrain too (I'm just not a 4cyl kind of guy!). I will defintiely go and read the review of the Equinox soon (too busy around the house this vacation & not enough play time on the computer!).

I will say that the cloth seats are comfy and nice, though I don't prefer the gray color on the black fabric for the way it stands out on the seats (very noticable). If I were to go cloth (SLE), then it would be all black (the SLT/leather models don't have two-toned seats, so I'm not sure why GM felt the SLE/cloth needed to be). The interior of the SLE-2 I drove back in November, an Atlantic Blue Metallic with the Gray & Black cloth seats, stood out negatively in my view and I knew right then that a SLE would need to be all-black for my taste.

I can't wait until I can get behind a Terrain myself for an extended drive. My local Enterprise has had a black Terrain on their lot in the past, so I'm planning on renting one (if they can get me one!) for a day or two to see how well I like the 4cyl engine (I'll make sure a day-trip is planned to see how it is on local and highway drives).

As for the color, Merlot Jewel Metallic, that was the color I fell in love with when I saw it on a preproduction '10 Chevy Equinox LTZ at last year's Philly Auto Show (February 2009). Then I saw pictures of the Summit White, which is a color I like trucks in (I know, white is a very utilitarian color, but with the right amount of chrome like on a SLT-2, white can look very luxurious). But now, after seeing your review with the Merlot, I'm second-guessing my color choice of white. Those are my two favorite colors, and if GM would replace the Atlantic Blue Metallic with a darker, more navy blue metallic, then I'd have yet another color to select from. Though I will admit I do like the Mocha Steel Metallic, but not enough to consider it for my color selection (I wish GMC would bring back the "Pewter" gray of the late '90s and early '00s, as I really liked that color too <my dad's 2000 Sonoma Highrider was in that color>).

it was odd. when i test drove the saturn vue a few months ago, after driving the 4 and 6 back to back, they behaved so much alike, i really had no idea the 4 was a 4. now with all the nox/terrain refinements, i can imagine the 4 cyl being just as nice for most driving. the 6 i would prob need to get with awd.

Unless you're blind you can plainly see that there is a gap misalignment. Would it be a deal breaker for me? Well if I liked everything else about the car, no. It's not a huge deal, but the point is if GM can line them up in the Equinox they should be able to do it in the Terrain.

GM isn't trying to be good enough, or they shouldn't be, they should be trying to be the best. It's all about the details.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

just curious as to how visible it is when you are seated, driving the car.

just sayin.

Well, it's that whole part that is misaligned. So the seam that is visible in the picture isn't really visible to the driver, but the other half of that part forms the outer edge of the cubby below the HVAC controls. That edge was misaligned as well.

As I've been trying to say, this is more of a difference between the Equinox and the Terrain. The part on the Equinox is a different shape than that on the Terrain. GM got the Equinox part right... the Terrain part, well, needs some sanding.

Do you guys just want me to write reviews where all I do is sing the praises of GM and not point out where I feel they could improve? My goal here is to be intellectually honest with these reviews and provide GM with some constructive criticism. C&G will get access to other manufacturers very soon and I fully intend to treat them all equally when I write a review.

• Agree 3

Be unbiased. We may be GM's biggest fans but we are also toughest critics. If there is a flaw noticeable then it must be reported and discussed on. Granted there will be both sides of the argument, but do not hide any faults considering people at GM want honest opinions.

• Agree 1

My thing is, this small issue was showing signs of taking on a life of its own leading to a downward spiral of the thread.

Drew, please continue to do what you're doing. Your reviews are informative and balanced. Thanks for your efforts.

• Disagree 2

I fully understood your intent, Drew, especially on the part of "GM got the Equinox right...why not Terrain?"

I'd say you should continue what you're doing, and ignore the drama queens and ninnies whose worlds are so completely rocked when someone menttions that GM needs improvement in any area, no matter how subjectively minor that poster feels it is; obviously you noticed it, so other potential buyers have noticed it...and you didn't use that flaw as the sole basis for a thoroughly negative review or anything.

My thing is, this small issue was showing signs of taking on a life of its own leading to a downward spiral of the thread.

"Life of its own"? "Downward spiral"? Really? Hyperbolic, much?

Edited by Croc
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

A co-worker of mine had been driving a 2002 Santa Fe for way too long. It had a hard city life, having been parked in the scorching Houston sun, mostly at a suburban "park-and-ride" commuter lot, where it accumulated "character" like door dings, scrapes, and those famous hazy-cloudy headlamp lenses.

I spent about two months providing her with new Terrain information: brochures, web links, articles. Finally, about 10 days ago, she took delivery of her 2010 Terrain...identical to the one in this attached road test. Of course, her gorgeous new ride faces the same future as the Santa Fe!

Edited by jlgolden

A co-worker of mine had been driving a 2002 Santa Fe for way too long. It had a hard city life, having been parked in the scorching Houston sun, mostly at a suburban "park-and-ride" commuter lot, where it accumulated "character" like door dings, scrapes, and those famous hazy-cloudy headlamp lenses.

I spent about two months providing her with new Terrain information: brochures, web links, articles. Finally, about 10 days ago, she took delivery of her 2010 Terrain...identical to the one in this attached road test. Of course, her gorgeous new ride faces the same future as the Santa Fe!

GAH! I hate seeing vehicles being abused, especially brand new ones!

So Drew, since you're from my area originally, do you think a FWD, 4-cyl equipped Terrain would perform well in NJ? You know we have our flat spots, our hilly areas, and those wonderful highways to merge onto. I have not yet driven a V6-equipped Terrain, and my GMC dealer sells them faster than he can get them. The 4-cyl I drove in November wasn't impressive to me, but then again I drove it with bias (I'm a 6- or 8-cyl man). I priced out the Terrain in FWD/4-cyl SLE-2, SLT-1, and SLT-2 and without AWD and the V6, one of those could be affordable later in the year. Do I sacrifice power (4-cyl) and mobility (FWD) to save some $$$??

i was mad, C/D has the Terrain ranked 6th in a new issue with a cute ute comparo.

they tested the v6 BTW.

RAV4-1, Tiguan-2, CRV-3, Forester-4, Outlander-5, Terrain-6, Grand Vitara-7, Escape-8 (where was the Rogue)?

i have driven the forester it was possibly the worst vehicle I have ever driven. I rented a RAV4 and it sucked too. CRv's are not all that and a box of rocks. I liked the 09 Escape I test drove once. The terrain was done an injustice. this is not a sport sedan category.

i was mad, C/D has the Terrain ranked 6th in a new issue with a cute ute comparo.

they tested the v6 BTW.

RAV4-1, Tiguan-2, CRV-3, Forester-4, Outlander-5, Terrain-6, Grand Vitara-7, Escape-8 (where was the Rogue)?

i have driven the forester it was possibly the worst vehicle I have ever driven. I rented a RAV4 and it sucked too. CRv's are not all that and a box of rocks. I liked the 09 Escape I test drove once. The terrain was done an injustice. this is not a sport sedan category.

They probably left out the Rogue based on where it finished in teh last such comparo. I read this article last weekend, but remember none of it.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The Car and Driver article doesn't surprise me, the Terrain is ugly and heavy. Other GM cars (such as the Malibu) have been criticized for being geared too much for fuel economy and the drive and acceleration suffering, seems like they did that again. Somehow the Terrain is the biggest vehicle in the class, but 5th in cargo room. Improvement over the Torrent, but they aren't quite there yet.

I just got the power graphs from GM they're in PDF, so I'll have to convert them somehow.

No wonder the Terrain feels spry off the line. It gives you 90% of max torque around 1,700rpm and never falls below that for the rest of the rpm range.

They probably left out the Rogue based on where it finished in teh last such comparo. I read this article last weekend, but remember none of it.

the escape, outlander have the best cargo areas from what i could tell in my own sampling of these vehicles. apparently the terrain's turning radius is 4 feet bigger than a tahoe. now that is not good, i guess, but the wheelbase is 112 inches and that is a partial contributor. the terrain's sliding seat is a huge asset.

C/D's test is all about skidpad, acceleration, etc.

to me, in this class, function and comfort and durability and solidity are the key.

duh a lighter vehicle is going to be more tossable, but part of the appeal of SUV is the feeling of heft. people buying SUV's are more apt to look for the best cruiser than one that will lap the nurburgring.

i will say this, i think the outlander has the most flexible and convenient cargo and seating arrangements, although it lacks the sliding seat.

to be honest any of the vehicles tested except maybe the escape or mariner or whatever could reside at the top of the scorecard, it would only depend on what the weighting criteria are. as an example, the suzuki was the only one with a real 4wd system. doesn't that count? the ford has sync. the outlander has a 3rd row and flapfold tailgate.

the tiguan has no cargo space. the crv is slow and feminine. the RAV is tinny and cheap. the forester is plain old junk if you actually take the time to drive one.