Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

BREAKING: GM reportedly extends bidding deadline for Saab, production to restart?

16 posts in this topic

saab-95-ff-large_0010_opt.jpg

2010 Saab 9-5 - Click above for high-res image gallery

In what would arguably be the first optimistic news for Saab faithful out of General Motors in some time, Reuters is reporting that GM has extended its December 31 bidding deadline for the 60 year-old Swedish marque - a move that will actually trigger the restart of some of the company's production lines next month.

Reuters indicates Spyker Cars' chief executive Victor Muller (head of the company believed to be in the lead position in the bidding war) has let slip that GM has extended the deadline until January 7, and Muller reportedly believes that there are still several parties involved in the bidding process.

Adding credence to Muller's statement is word that Saab spokesman Eric Geers has been quoted as saying that Saab's production lines will fire up on the new 9-5 sedan (above) and the 9-3 convertible: "We have the orders and we have to deliver them as usual. We also have the orders for the 9-3 and others. The factory has to continue again... we are preparing the wind-down process. At the same time we are open to options, to bids that come in. Therefore the deadline has also been dropped."

Looks like industry analysts and Saab loyalists will have to wait until early next year for a conclusion to the sales saga. Will there be cheers and gears in 2010, or jeers and sneers? We're not sure yet, but once the dust settles, we're looking forward to someone chronicling this whole sordid affair in a nice, thick book. Thanks for the tip, Ed!

Gallery: 2010 Saab 9-5

saab-95-ff-large_0008_thumbnail.jpgsaab-95-ff-large_0011_thumbnail.jpgsaab-95-ff-large_0010_thumbnail.jpgsaab-95-ff-large_0018_thumbnail.jpgsaab-95-ff-large_0021_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Reuters]

BREAKING: GM reportedly extends bidding deadline for Saab, production to restart? originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=T2NWA7vsWEc:iyZDjaZfcmM:wF9xT autoblog?i=T2NWA7vsWEc:iyZDjaZfcmM:V_sGL
T2NWA7vsWEc

View the full article

This is getting beyond ridiculous. However, it's very exciting that at least a few production 9-5s will make it off the assembly line.

GM should seriously wait and see what happens when Saab actually has new, good product to sell.

Thinking about it more, this doesn't make any sense. They're going to commit to a long term liability of servicing a few hundred 9-5s if they end up shutting down the brand?

With Moraine Truck & Bus vacant they could pack up SaaB & move it lock stock & barrel here and build Buick's :AH-HA:

Great!! The 9-5 needs to see the light of day. What this article doesn't specify, though, is if these are all Euro-spec orders or if some are destined for NA. I'm guessing Euro, and that could have radically different implications for GMNA vs. a limited global trans-Atlantic launch.

Edited by Croc

I'm now with Borger and ZL-1 in thinking there's a lot more going on WRT Saab than we're being told.

I'm now with Borger and ZL-1 in thinking there's a lot more going on WRT Saab than we're being told.

Why would you ever be against me? Where GM is concerned, my word becomes fact ...

Ashford and Simpson

It Seems To hang On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3UOCklhauk

My version:

SAAB Seems To Hang On

Is SAAB still here, I can't tell no more

GM never had this condition before

Everywhere I turn (SAAB seems to hang on)

Everything GM tries (SAAB seems to hang on)

Was I mistaken (SAAB seems to hang on)

About it (SAAB seems to hang on)

Aside from trying to sell it (SAAB seems to hang on)

Aside from needing Opel (SAAB seems to hang on)

Let me give you some idea (SAAB seems to hang on)

It ain't just the fears, the fact of it is

SAAB ain't gone nowhere

SAAB can't be the same

SAAB don't know where they stand

I can't understand just why

(SAAB seems to hang on) Oh, ooh, why

(SAAB seems to hang on)

GM thought they clever

As only they can be

But tell me what's happenin'

What's botherin' them, yeah, yeah

Aside from articles I read

Nothin' else exists

GM, it's you SAAB misses

Don't leave SAAB like this

SAAB ain't gone nowhere

SAAB can't be the same

(SAAB seems to hang on) Why

(SAAB seems to hang on)

Like Saturn when it went down the hill (SAAB seems to hang on)

GM looks behind them, it's there still (SAAB seems to hang on)

Ooh, like a shadow it follows

Oh...oh...oh...oh...oh...

Oh...loose SAAB, loose SAAB, loose SAAB please

SAAB ain't gone nowhere

SAAB can't be the same

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on) GM can't shake it

(SAAB seems to hang on) GM can't shake it

(SAAB seems to hang on)

Like Saturn when it went down the hill (SAAB seems to hang on)

GM looks behind them, it's there still (SAAB seems to hang on)

Ooh, like a shadow it follows

Oh...oh...oh...oh...oh...

Oh...loose SAAB, loose SAAB, loose SAAB please, please

Please

{Hey} Hey

SAAB ain't gone nowhere

SAAB can't be the same

(SAAB seems to hang on) {Oh, oh} Why

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on) {Was it} Was it

(SAAB seems to hang on) {Was it} Was it

(SAAB seems to hang on) {GM, was it Swedish pride}

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on) {I wanna know}

(SAAB seems to hang on) I wanna know

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

(SAAB seems to hang on)

This is ridiculous, they were supposed to sell it in the summer as part of bankruptcy. If no one has come forward by now, why would anyone in the next month. Saab is just a worthless company, time to put it behind them and focus on the future.

Wrong-oh It has worth it just looks as if GM is cautious as to who it will be sold to & what is in the package deal, IE technology.

This is ridiculous, they were supposed to sell it in the summer as part of bankruptcy. If no one has come forward by now, why would anyone in the next month. Saab is just a worthless company, time to put it behind them and focus on the future.

Oh, yeah :rolleyes:

SAAB is so worthless that Spyker scrambled to get new financing and come up with an 11-point plan addressing every reason their talks with GM collapsed. NO VALUE WHATSOEVER, right?

Wrong-oh It has worth it just looks as if GM is cautious as to who it will be sold to & what is in the package deal, IE technology.

this to me says all about trying to keep the russians grubby paws out of it. by any way possible.

and they KNOW the new 9-5 is a nice car and that they have to bring it to market in some way.

Either you're right, or SAAB fits in GM's business plan somehow. Those are the two alternatives.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0