Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Detroit Free Press: Toyota lead all automakers with most recalled vehicles in 2009

8 posts in this topic

Filed under: Government/Legal, Recalls, Safety, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Tesla

lexus-gaspedal-main-page.jpg

2009 has seen a bumper crop of automobile recalls. The Detroit Free Press reports that there were 15.2 million units recalled this year - nearly double the 8.6 million vehicles that were called back in all of 2008. And the leader of the recall pack was Toyota, with a knee-wobbling 4.87 million cars and trucks recalled due mostly to the Japanese automaker's unintended acceleration issue. Toyota had nine major recalls in all in 2009, with the other big issue coming courtesy of rusting Tundra frames. Toyota took the top spot in recalls for the first time ever this year, which tells you as much about how bad 2009 was for Aichi, Japan-based automaker as it does about its history of making high-quality automobiles.

This year's second biggest offender? Ford Motor Company. The Blue Oval recalled 4.52 million vehicles to land in second place in the recall rankings, due mainly to the company's ongoing issue with cruise control modules. Without the years-old cruise control issue, Ford would have had posted best year ever. General Motors rounded out the top three, with 2.24 million recalls announced in 2009, thought it is worth noting that the Detroit, MI-based automaker's 17 total recalls was the most of any automaker. Chrysler actually had a good 2009 - at least when it comes to recalls - with just under 600,000 vehicles affected. Head over to the Detroit Free Press for the complete ranking of 2009 recalls by automaker.

[source: Detroit Free Press]

Detroit Free Press: Toyota lead all automakers with most recalled vehicles in 2009 originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 30 Dec 2009 11:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=OzUL8xx5alg:UceNYkmfuUg:wF9xT autoblog?i=OzUL8xx5alg:UceNYkmfuUg:V_sGL
OzUL8xx5alg

View the full article

That's one race I'm glad to see Toyota win :D. I'm very happy to see that they are addressing the frame issue, though their owners will now love Toyota even more now :rolleyes:

With Toyota announcing it is looking to cut 30% from the costs of some of its parts suppliers, I imagine the recalls will only go up.

Honda had the least recalls of the major players (including Hyundai). Could just be luck, but I have heard that Honda tends to source parts from higher quality suppliers, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

What happened to all that talk of Toyota working hand in hand in glorious harmony with their suppliers while GM and Ford ferociously beat down theirs?

"Toyota tops record year for safety recalls"

"Toyota Tops Number of Recalled Vehicles in 2009"

"Toyota Has More Recalls Than Any Other Auto Maker"

"Toyota most recalled make in US for 2009"

"Toyota tops auto industry in recalls"

"Breaking News -- Toyota leads the way in recalls for 2009"

"Toyota Crowned with the '09 Recall Title"

Media bias! They wouldn't be reporting this if it was Toyota that had the most recalls!

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

Whithout Ford's cruise control recall, "...Ford called back just 21,993 vehicles in 2009...". That is awesome.

I also found this interesting:

"Five of the seven recalls issued by Hyundai were sparked by NHTSA probes"

"Toyota tops record year for safety recalls"

"Toyota Tops Number of Recalled Vehicles in 2009"

"Toyota Has More Recalls Than Any Other Auto Maker"

"Toyota most recalled make in US for 2009"

"Toyota tops auto industry in recalls"

"Breaking News -- Toyota leads the way in recalls for 2009"

"Toyota Crowned with the '09 Recall Title"

Media bias! They wouldn't be reporting this if it was Toyota that had the most recalls!

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

Whithout Ford's cruise control recall, "...Ford called back just 21,993 vehicles in 2009...". That is awesome.

I also found this interesting:

"Five of the seven recalls issued by Hyundai were sparked by NHTSA probes"

The media are carrion feeders, the smell of dead meat attracts them.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0