Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM hires ex-AT&T lobbyists; Cole to retire

6 posts in this topic

GM hires ex-AT&T lobbyists; Cole to retire

James B. Treece

Automotive News -- December 30, 2009 - 12:57 pm ET

DETROIT -- General Motors Co. today named two former AT&T executives to head its government relations activities.

John Montford will be a senior adviser to GM Chairman Ed Whitacre Jr., who formerly headed AT&T. Robert Ferguson will be GM's vice president of government relations. Both appointments are effective Friday, Jan. 1.

Montford, 66, will have overall responsibility for government relations and global public policy and will be supported by Ferguson and Michael Robinson, the current vice president of environment, energy and safety policy.

Ken Cole, 62, currently GM's vice president of government relations and public policy, will be an adviser until his retirement next year.

“John and Bob are proven professionals who have worked in an environment of intense regulatory and political complexity,” Whitacre said in a statement. “I've worked with both through a number of issues over the past several years, and they have my deep trust and respect.”

Montford most recently was senior vice president for state legislative affairs for AT&T. Before that he was president of external affairs for Southwestern Bell until its merger with AT&T. He also served 14 years in the Texas Senate and was Texas Tech University's first chancellor.

Ferguson, 50, was most recently a senior strategist for Public Strategies Inc., a business advisory firm in Austin, Texas. He joined Public Strategies from AT&T, where he had been president of state legislative and regulatory affairs. He has residences in Washington and San Antonio.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091230/OEM02/912309996/1178#ixzz0bCs3nY8I

I told you Big Ed was not finished. Slowly but surely the "old GM guard" are being phased out.

Anyone else get the vibe that "Big Ed" might want to hang around a bit longer than advertised?

Anyone else get the vibe that "Big Ed" might want to hang around a bit longer than advertised?

Fer sher, but I also get the vibe he's having fun with all of this, too.

Fer sher, but I also get the vibe he's having fun with all of this, too.

Agreed, he seems to be thriving on it.

Not a bad thing, generally.

Agreed, he seems to be thriving on it.

Not a bad thing, generally.

They need some sadist to work on GM old timers misery and throw them out of the system.

Do you remember the question you had asked about what would be the most difficult job in GM? See my answer. I guess Big Ed is thriving on that principle.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0