Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Saab enthusiasts planning rally at GM HQ?

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: GM, Saab

saab-historical_black-900t-630.jpg
Saab: A history in pictures - Click above for high-res gallery

After canceling a earlier deadline of December 31, General Motors has given potential suitors until January 7 to come up with a bid for Saab or the storied Swedish brand will go the way of the dodo. On a business level, the move to rid itself of Saab makes sense. Saab is a perennial money loser and it has never quite figured out how to handle the brand. At this point, about the only possibility for Saab to escape the guillotine is for Spyker Cars or another bidder to somehow come up with a satisfactory last minute bid- or is it?

The brand enthusiasts at Saab History are trying to stage a last minute rally of their own - only instead of a bid for the company, these fans are looking to rally at GM's Renaissance Center headquarters in Detroit, hoping that a show of force will help keep the doors open in Trollhättan. The goal is to assemble an impressive show of force just hours prior to the General's January 7 board meeting that will determine the fate of the brand. The directions are simple. Get to GM headquarters, park your Saab, get some group photos and talk to the press.

The hope of the rally is that GM's board members will see the outpouring of support for Saab and somehow push harder to make a deal a reality. While that sounds nice - and probably fun - like the hoped-for agreement with Spyker itself, it remains to be seen whether the plan can be seen through. After all, the rally suggestion was floated just yesterday, and thus far plans are in their infancy. That said, we've seen car enthusiasts scrap together more with less, so this is something worth keeping an eye on. Interested in learning more? Click on the link below.

[source: Saab History]

Saab enthusiasts planning rally at GM HQ? originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=xmMuOgHAsMg:OTJCHgDu7us:wF9xT autoblog?i=xmMuOgHAsMg:OTJCHgDu7us:V_sGL
xmMuOgHAsMg

View the full article

Is this 'rally' made up of the same folks that has threatened never to buy another GM product again, unless GM sells saab to someone else so they can buy their next saabs... from them?

Yeah....

Well at least there's a group of people who care enough to do such a thing for their favorite brand.

I doubt anything will come of it of course.

Where were sll these people for the last decade? Why weren't they buying? This is a waste of everyone's time.

This is quite true and the agreement behind every brand that gets closed down. The best way to get the message across is to buy the product. Problem is that there hasn't been any good new product since the 9-3 came out, and even then that was flawed. I mean if you bought a 9-5 in 1998 you haven't missed much over the past 12 years.

Well if they need more people to make it look like a crowd they could recuit the homeless people that gather 3 block north on Woodward Ave. They will come down for a couple of bucks.

Just pass out some SAAB signs and they will blend in! :rolleyes:

What I find is sad is only half the Saab fans really care at this point since so many gave up when GM bought them. But even more sad is the fact no one protested Pontiac. :( Not that it would have changed anything.

I just hope the future product finds a place as a Saab or some other mark. The 9 5 looks great.

Edited by hyperv6

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0