Computer Question For Camino

So you've either for 2 128 meg sticks and a 64 meg stick of Ram in there or one 256 meg stick and a 64 meg stick of Ram in there. Weird.

Well, if if it ever craps the bed or you find yourself wanting it to go a "bit" faster, you could consider this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883241016

and maybe some sound :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014

The one I'm using now is the older of the two I have, not sure how old. It was upgraded when I got it.

The OS is XP pro 2002 version service pack 3.

Pentium III 797MHz 320MB Ram

57.2 GB hard drive

Pentium III 800! That is a minimum 9 year old machine. You need dual 3.2hz Xeon quadcores with 24GB ram and 300 gb Velociraptors in Raid 5 with dual ATI 5970 cards. :P

Umm... I'll take your word for it.

Yes, my eyes just glazed-over. :blink:

This machine has some issues, but I have a newer replacement "in stock".

As for my C&G slowness, it seems confined to this site. Does that make C&G more advanced? :AH-HA:

How many other sites out there that you visit that also use IPB v. 3.04?

On a more serious note, you say that you really only experience slowdown on C&G. What browser are you using and have you tried it on another browser?

I'm using IE (the latest one, I think) just because I'm used to it.

I have Firefox, but haven't tried it with the new board.

The part I don't get is that (for me) the old board was much faster. Does that make sense?

i've actually seen that chrome often wins in benchmark tests versus other browsers. Firefox has been getting bloated since late in the 2.0 cycle, whether that's good or bad only matters what you use it for.

Firefox I think wins for sheer amounts of ad-ons and customization you won't find in other browsers. It's faster and safer than IE and better support HTML and CSS standards than IE. However Chrome is lightweight and a speed demon I think, which is what makes it appealing.

Firefox I think wins for sheer amounts of ad-ons and customization you won't find in other browsers. It's faster and safer than IE and better support HTML and CSS standards than IE. However Chrome is lightweight and a speed demon I think, which is what makes it appealing.

yes. but many benchmarks are speed. ;) you knew that though.

Things have gotten even stranger.

I decided to try firefox and ran into a problem right away.

It won't allow me to go to any sites without launching explorer!

WTF?

And no, I didn't follow that instruction.

Exploder is probably set as your default browser.

I just did a test. Set IE to be my default browser. Clicked on an arbitrary link on a page open in a Firefox tab. IE opened the new link. Set FF back to default, back to normal.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar