Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Pontiacs selling at brisk pace

27 posts in this topic

Pontiacs selling at brisk pace

By JOSEPH SZCZESNY

Of The Oakland Press

Local car dealers report Pontiacs are selling quickly as the end nears for the fabled General Motors nameplate.

Dealers around Oakland County on Wednesday doubted they would have to use the special sales incentive from GM offering dealers $7,000 if they agree to place a Pontiac into a rental fleet and then sell it off as a used car. GM also made the same offer to Saturn dealers.

For a consumers, buying a used, low-mileage Pontiac remains a bargain because the car would carry the full GM warranty and could be serviced at any GM dealership, dealers said.

However, Bill Feudale, new car sales manager at LaFontaine Buick Pontiac GMC Cadillac in Highland Township, said the demand for Pontiac models has been strong. The demand increased earlier this month after GM began offering rebates of up to $6,500 on Pontiac-brand vehicles.

“We had 250 (Pontiacs) at the beginning of the month. Now we have fewer than 100,” said Feudale, adding he doubted he would have enough cars left in inventory at the beginning of month to take GM’s offer and use them as rental cars.

“The latest announcement brought in the traffic, though,” he said. “We’re pretty much selling off everything we’ve got.”

The $6,500 rebate GM is offering is already very generous,” he said. In addition, a lot of the more popular models, such as the Pontiac Vibe, which comes from a plant GM shared with Toyota, the compact Pontiac G3 and the less expensive versions of the mid-sized Pontiac G6 are in short supply.

The more expensive Pontiac G8, which has been widely touted in car-buff magazines in recent months, also is virtually sold out.

Doug Fresard of Jim Fresard Buick Pontiac GMC in Ferndale said he doubted many of the available Pontiac models will wind up as rental cars, which could then be sold as used vehicles.

“It’s as busy as beehive,” he said. “We have a nice selection still. I think the public is going to take them. GM needs to wind down Pontiac and move on to selling Buick and GMC.”

Russ Shelton of Shelton Pontiac Buick GMC in Rochester Hills also said he expected to sell off his remaining Pontiac models in the future.

“(GM) just decided they got to go and they got to go now,” said Shelton, who described the $6,500 rebate GM put in place earlier this month as unprecedented.

“At this point, our phone has been ringing off the hook,” he said.

Shelton also said that GM had already reduced the supply of Pontiacs in dealers’ hands by trimming production. For example, GM halted production of the G3 compact last spring, he said.

The additional offer of cash payments to dealers who buy the vehicles already on their lots doesn’t change the market dynamics much, analysts said.

“This program is more hype than substance,” said Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Jessica Caldwell. “There is no benefit for the consumer to purchase a used vehicle when a new vehicle can be had for a similar price.”

“This is another avenue for GM to clear inventory in order to speed the closing of Pontiac and Saturn dealerships,” Edmunds. com Senior Analyst Michelle Krebs reported for AutoObserver. com.

“Fewer than 5,000 Pontiacs and Saturns are in inventory, so consumers will have a hard time finding a vehicle, let alone a vehicle of their choice,” she said.

link:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2009/12/31/business/doc4b3c98b63a3cd943287085.txt

a buddy of mine wants a manual transmission G3 here in the tristate NY metro area..

How do I find which dealers have a base model. (he wants to use it on trips he is not using his hemi engined Dodge 1500..

Any links to help me find the local G3's available in this area.

Thanks in advance.

JB

Not much you can do other than check Pontiac's website. I know our dealership finally unloaded their selection of fine :rolleyes: G3s in the last couple days. According to the website they still have a yellow Solstice.

a buddy of mine wants a manual transmission G3 here in the tristate NY metro area..

How do I find which dealers have a base model. (he wants to use it on trips he is not using his hemi engined Dodge 1500..

Any links to help me find the local G3's available in this area.

Thanks in advance.

JB

no ABS on manual trans G3's if that matters to you.

thanks guys..I don't care about abs with the G3. I'm seeing it as a 4500 bucks new car! LOL

14,500 msrp..minus 7 grand discount...and 3000 GM bonus points.. leaving about 4500 dollars to pay for the car.

A buddy of mines driving his Dodge ram 1500 hemi and he wanted a fuel economy car for when he's not working.. and I thought this was a kick @ss idea..

Not sure he'll do it but worth a look. Just had some trouble trying to find a car in the tri state area.

I was at my BPG dealership yesterday for service on the G6 and was speaking to the sales manager I know there about his Pontiac inventory. They have one Pontiac left - a yellow 2009 Solstice GXP coupe (auto trans, well loaded). I asked if that was their last Pontiac and he replied, "Yes, well actually it just sold online to a guy in Florida". Speaking to the salesman I've been talking to the last couple of months (he sold it), he said that they guy called all around the country looking for an auto-equipped Solstice GXP coupe and was getting ready to wire a deposit for it. As I walked around the showroom (drooling over a 2010 GMC Canyon SLE extended cab ZQ8 V-8 pickup in Merlot Jewel Metallic with those gorgeous 19" rims), another middle-aged couple came in for the Solstice too... funny thing was that the other salesman, who knew it was being sold, didn't bother to tell the couple it wasn't available but did say it was their last one. Maybe a bidding was his hope :lol:

Well GM found a way to sell more Pontiac's discount the crap out of them.

I know a few people who are driving a new G6 today not because they love Pontiac or the G6 but because they can live with it and love the low payment.

I know a few people who are driving a new G6 today not because they love Pontiac or the G6 but because they can live with it and love the low payment.

That is how a lot of G6, etc. sales/leases always came to be. "I can get one for $xx a month, nice car." That, the GM factor, etc. Plus, honestly, many still do have a lot of stock in the Pontiac factor. After going Cadillac-Pontiac-Chevy-Pontiac, I see that too. I WANT another Pontiac right now. I know a lot of people who the price was a nice factor, but otherwise just wanted a G6. Wanted one more than they did a Malibu, Fusion, etc. That may not be the majority, but it is what it is.

I want another one...of some kind...Solstice coupe, G6 GXP coupe, Solstice convertible...actually today looking around I decided I wanted a lightly optioned Solstice roadster, stick and all. My G8 is rather large, and there's something to be had from a light, fun, 2 seater, lower the top, etc. car, especially a legendary Arrowhead variety.

Just to add fuel to the fire, people have started reporting getting their GM card "top off" mailers over the weekend, so a lot of buyers will now have another $2-3k (well, those who otherwise didn't have much of a points balance) to pile on something until February...Pontiac, Saturn, or otherwise. Hmm...G3/G5 aside, today I also pondered an Astra...

Edited by caddycruiser

I've been happy with my credit card (same one since 1994!), but seeing as I buy a new GM vehicle as often as some of our more slovenly brethren change their undies, maybe I should look into switching to a GM card. I wonder if it's worth it for someone like me who doesn't use it too much.

I've been happy with my credit card (same one since 1994!), but seeing as I buy a new GM vehicle as often as some of our more slovenly brethren change their undies, maybe I should look into switching to a GM card. I wonder if it's worth it for someone like me who doesn't use it too much.

That's the thing, it's sort of luck of the draw. For me, even charging what I think is a decent amount of a few grand, I'm still by % points only up to $140 or so. At least with the current GM Flex card, that's nowhere near as generous on points as you used to be able to get with older GM cards--that some people still have, hence racking up thousands in points themselves.

If you don't do much, but then happen to get a top off offer the once or twice they do it a year to $2k or $3k, and are in the market, it's very nice. Mom had a card for years and would get usually 1 of the top offs per year, but never when she was actually shopping until 2 years ago with the Malibu. Buying the Camaro last month, of course, she's now worried "watch I'll get $2k this year..." but you never know.

All that said, I'd keep the card you have open--never close an account unless there's a notable reason--and just get a GM card to start using, if you wish. Build up some points, and once a year or so, whether you happen to be in the market or not, it's not a bad thing to have in case you're getting the itch. That's why GM does it.

Edited by caddycruiser

Uh oh...

...just because I get distracted, cough, I decided to plug in a new 2009 Solstice to my insurance and see what kind of crazy amount it would be to go from just G8 to it having an arrowhead friend. Got a number back...just $200 more per 6 months vs. my current...for a whole 2nd car...now I really want one 8)

Coupe please...I'll learn to drive a stick...don't know where I'd park it...but, yeah. 2010 wacko jacko urges, already. Restrain yourself, Derek...you don't need every new Pontiac left just because it's a good deal...or...

That is how a lot of G6, etc. sales/leases always came to be. "I can get one for $xx a month, nice car." That, the GM factor, etc. Plus, honestly, many still do have a lot of stock in the Pontiac factor. After going Cadillac-Pontiac-Chevy-Pontiac, I see that too. I WANT another Pontiac right now. I know a lot of people who the price was a nice factor, but otherwise just wanted a G6. Wanted one more than they did a Malibu, Fusion, etc. That may not be the majority, but it is what it is.

I want another one...of some kind...Solstice coupe, G6 GXP coupe, Solstice convertible...actually today looking around I decided I wanted a lightly optioned Solstice roadster, stick and all. My G8 is rather large, and there's something to be had from a light, fun, 2 seater, lower the top, etc. car, especially a legendary Arrowhead variety.

Just to add fuel to the fire, people have started reporting getting their GM card "top off" mailers over the weekend, so a lot of buyers will now have another $2-3k (well, those who otherwise didn't have much of a points balance) to pile on something until February...Pontiac, Saturn, or otherwise. Hmm...G3/G5 aside, today I also pondered an Astra...

there are very few astras left and i am not even sure saturn still takes the gm card, but that is exactly what i want to happen this month. a-JOB! b-rush to dealer and try to scam an astra with the 6500 rebate and 3k GM card bal.

PROBLEM GM is offering more money to saturn and pontiac to turn the vehicles into used cars and thus not use the GM cd. bal.

Yep. The same thing here.

The only reason to buy one at this point.

I might consider a lighty used one in a few years....

That could well be. I personally bought my (early) '09 G6 Sport sedan in June because of the fantastic amount of money off I was getting to do so. Plus GM card kicked in a couple of thou, and GMS helped out a lot too. With all of that in mind, we couldn't be happier with our G6. With the 2.4 Ecotec and 6 speed tranny, it's a freeway runner with great mileage (26.2 MPG on a recent trip, most of it above 75 MPH), and it's got all of the toys you can stuff in an Epsilon body.

All that and dollars off too? You'd be crazy to pass it up.

geozinger

All that and dollars off too? You'd be crazy to pass it up.

geozinger

exactly. why spend more than you want to or have to? no one should take heat for buying a well priced car.

exactly. why spend more than you want to or have to? no one should take heat for buying a well priced car.

We had been looking for a replacement for our Malibu Maxx, and I have liked the G6 from other times I had driven the cars. It was a natural fit, especially with dollars off.

But I do have to say, I miss the utility of the Maxx. I'd like to find a used one, to replace my ancient Cavalier.

We had been looking for a replacement for our Malibu Maxx, and I have liked the G6 from other times I had driven the cars. It was a natural fit, especially with dollars off.

But I do have to say, I miss the utility of the Maxx. I'd like to find a used one, to replace my ancient Cavalier.

I just saw an SS a few days ago too...

Well, at least the Cavy is still running.....

I just saw an SS a few days ago too...

Well, at least the Cavy is still running.....

The funny thing is, that old Cavy still runs great after 13 years and 245,000+ miles. I'm too cheap to get rid of it. But rust will eventually make that decision for me. In my neck of the woods, there are a bunch of 4 and 5 year old Cavaliers and Sunfires suddenly appearing on the used car lots. I'd like to get another one. I don't know why I like the 3rd gen J bodies, but I do. If I show up with another car unannounced, my wife will have a fit. We don't have enough room to park the cars we have now...

But I really need something bigger to haul stuff around in. I still gig with a band on some evenings, the Maxx could swallow my whole drum set with ease. Plus it had plenty of room leftover for amps and stuff. Additionally, the Maxx could keep me out of a pickup truck or minivan for a while longer, too.

I've been trolling eBay motors and other used car websites, I can find LT & LTZ level Maxx's but no SS models on the lots here. A SS model WOULD be sweet.

I've been trolling eBay motors and other used car websites, I can find LT & LTZ level Maxx's but no SS models on the lots here. A SS model WOULD be sweet.

Where do you live? There are a bunch of them listed on autotrader.com: CLICK HERE

The funny thing is, that old Cavy still runs great after 13 years and 245,000+ miles. I'm too cheap to get rid of it. But rust will eventually make that decision for me. In my neck of the woods, there are a bunch of 4 and 5 year old Cavaliers and Sunfires suddenly appearing on the used car lots. I'd like to get another one. I don't know why I like the 3rd gen J bodies, but I do. If I show up with another car unannounced, my wife will have a fit. We don't have enough room to park the cars we have now...

But I really need something bigger to haul stuff around in. I still gig with a band on some evenings, the Maxx could swallow my whole drum set with ease. Plus it had plenty of room leftover for amps and stuff. Additionally, the Maxx could keep me out of a pickup truck or minivan for a while longer, too.

I haven't seen too mant SSes lately...I know they are out there somewhere.....

I hear you and the never stop running part. My old 93 Cav wagon was still running great, but the rust after 15 years was getting pretty bad.....

Where do you live? There are a bunch of them listed on autotrader.com: CLICK HERE

It appears you're in Wisconsin, I'm near Grand Rapids, Michigan. Thanks for looking for me, but I was mostly trolling in my backyard. I would have thought that my relatively close proximity to Detroit would have resulted in more hits, but I guess the production numbers are smaller than I imagined. I see one of the results is a dealer not too far from me, which is great. I will have to take a ride over there to check it out.

I haven't seen too mant SSes lately...I know they are out there somewhere.....

I hear you and the never stop running part. My old 93 Cav wagon was still running great, but the rust after 15 years was getting pretty bad.....

I occasionally see a SS whether Malibu sedan or Maxx, but not very often. I will have to keep my eyes open however. As for the Cavys, they're tougher than most people realize. If rust weren't consuming my car, I'd drive the thing forever.

Edited by geozinger

It appears you're in Wisconsin, I'm near Grand Rapids, Michigan. Thanks for looking for me, but I was mostly trolling in my backyard. I would have thought that my relatively close proximity to Detroit would have resulted in more hits, but I guess the production numbers are smaller than I imagined. I see one of the results is a dealer not too far from me, which is great. I will have to take a ride over there to check it out.

Maybe smaller dealers in the metro detroit area?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room