stop the bs

I would take a foreign made brand over any day over these poorly made pos american cars. They are built buy lazy unionized workers who could care less if the part they put in is right. At least the Asisns have good work ethics and you people would find any reason to bad mouth these cars. At least Toyota didn't neeed the government to come in and bail them out.

• Disagree 18

Someone must have conveniently glazed over the premature frame rot issues Toyota is having with its not very old trucks, the acceleration issues, the probe launched on the new Prius' braking system, that Toyota led all automakers last year in recalls, that Toyota has been getting help from Japanese government for years....

• Agree 3

Scion XD Fuel economy is about the same as a Mini Cooper S...and the cooper S has about 50 horsepower on the scion.

Methinks Toyota is actually falling behind the europeans and americans in terms of engeneering!

Chris

You people are just biased. Foreign cars for years have always had a better relibility then american. Yes I like Buicks and they are good cars. But fact is fact and american cars are not built to the same quality as a forgien brand.

Do you have any facts to back that up, or do you just mindlessly accept what other people tell you?

2 threads down from this one is a post about Toyota leading all manufacturers for recalls this year, not exactly a sign of premium quality.

You people are just biased. Foreign cars for years have always had a better relibility then american. Yes I like Buicks and they are good cars. But fact is fact and american cars are not built to the same quality as a forgien brand.

...in all honety....I'll hav to disagree. Used to think for awhile like you do now, but my friend David bought an SVT Ford Focus back in 2003. That car convinced me that American carmakers are getting back on the right track. Thinking a Focus or Cruze may very well replace my current Toyota/Scion 2005 xB as our next family car.

...and I'm not baised against foreign cars. Ask the guys here...I race a Miata...which is built in Hiroshima Japan.

But I do think American cars really are worth a serious look. Just test drove a Focus in fact...VERY good car. My only fear with it is the bs I'll get here from my friends on the GM forum if I buy one. But the upcoming Cruze looks very good also.

Chris

...and one serious question...not to be offensive...but are you sober when your posting this?

Chris

• Agree 1

How many '85 Toyotas do you still see on the road? Very few.

How many '85 GM do you still see on the road? They're beat to hell but you'll still see them regularly

Fact is, Toyota didn't know how to make a car that wouldn't rust into the ground after one north east winter until the 1992 Camry came out. They had one good run with that body style and then the sludge issues started on the next body. The body following that had transmission issues and sudden acceleration issues.

Honda never bothered to even offer a V6 in the Accord till the mid 90's. Once they did they found that their new 5-speed auto couldn't handle the torque and they had to quietly extend the warranties on the Accord, Odyssey, and TL. My own 2004 Honda CR-V has been garaged it's whole life but still has small rust spots forming around the door hinges at 70k miles. My Avalanche didn't have any rust on it when I got rid of it at 86k miles and it was too big to fit in the garage.

WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET A LIFE AND REALIZE THAT GM IS JUST AS F'D UP AS THE REST.

GM recalls nearly 1.5 million vehicles

Automaker issues recall of passenger sedans due to engine fire risk.

EMAIL | PRINT | SHARE | RSS

* TWITTER

* Yahoo! Buzz

* DIGG

* FACEBOOK

* DEL.ICIO.US

* REDDIT

* STUMBLE UPON

* MYSPACE

* MIXX IT

Subscribe to Top Stories

google my aol my msn my yahoo! netvibes

feed://rss.cnn.com/rss/money_topstories.rss

Paste this link into your favorite RSS desktop reader

See all CNNMoney.com RSS FEEDS (close)

Last Updated: April 14, 2009: 5:26 AM ET

Find your next Car

AOL Autos New Cars & Used Cars

New

Used

RESOURCES

* Car News & Tips

* All New Cars

* All Used Cars

* Blue Book Values

* Auto Loans

* Car Insurance

* Hybrid Cars

* Sports Cars

(CNN) -- The possibility of engine fires has prompted General Motors to recall nearly 1.5 million passenger sedans manufactured between 1997 and 2003, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced Monday.

The recall covers certain mid- and full-size passenger sedans under GM's (GM, Fortune 500) Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac brands.

The recalled vehicles all have naturally aspirated 3.8 liter V6 engines -- that is, engines that uses atmospheric pressure to bring in air for combustion rather than a mechanical blower -- according to documents filed with federal regulators by GM last week.

On Friday, the federal government acknowledged the filing and agreed to the plan.

0:00 /1:14Will automakers deliver?

The problem involves a potential for oil to leak on the exhaust manifold during hard braking. When a car operates under normal conditions, the manifold can get very hot. Oil that runs below the manifold's heat shield could ignite and spread to plastic channels that hold spark plug wires.

The company recommends as a solution for the problem a change in the bracket that holds spark-plug wires, which will be done free of charge. Owners and dealers affected by the new recall will be notified by letter next month with details.

The vehicles involved are 1997-2003 Buick Regals; 1998-2003 Chevrolet Luminas, Monte Carlos and Impalas; 1998-1999 Oldsmobile Intrigues; and 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix.

GM issued a similar recall on a similar engine in 2008, according to the company's filing with the government. That problem was traced to a faulty gasket on the engine rocker cover. To top of page

• Disagree 8

I'll see your 1.5 million recalls and raise you 4.87 million recalls.

Detroit Free Press: Toyota led all automakers with most recalled vehicles in 2009

Toyota extends Tundra rust recall to include 2000-03 models, totalling 110,000 trucks

BREAKING: Toyota to recall 3.8M vehicles to reshape and replace pedals

Toyota Makes Chinese Recall

In a near rerun of its U.S. fiasco, the Chinese unit of Toyota Motor (NYSE: TM - News) will recall 43,000 vehicles, including models such as Lexus ES350, Lexus RX350, Highlander sports utility vehicle and Previa minivan. The vehicles are reported to have engine oil leaks.

LA Times details Toyota history of concealing safety issues

NHTSA reportedly eyes loss of braking power in 2010 Toyota Prius

• Agree 4

Don't forget the Tacoma buy-back (50% of production)

and the cracking structure of the FJ Cruiser.

You guys forget that Camino, balthazar and myself, amoung others here make our living driving trucks every day. A truck that doesn't get the job done means we don't eat.

Amoung 98% of the blue collar guys I know, Toyota trucks are an absolute sad joke, as is the Nissan Titan.

The FJ Cruiser isn't taken seriously amoung any of the guys I know...and lots of guys in souther Ohio 4 wheel.

When toyota can build a truck we can take seriously, call me.

Until then...they can crush the Tundras and make them into beer cans for all I care.

Chris

Here is proof Japanese-built Toyotas can be subpar and defect-ridden. This doesn't even scratch the surface if you include all the recalls they have had in North America since 2004 for American built Toyotas.

September 2004: Toyota recalls 176,000 vehicles in Japan for faulty braking systems

October 2005: Toyota recalls 160,000 Japanese-built Prius' worldwide for faulty electrical systems that can lead to stalling

October 2005: Toyota recalls 71,000 Japanese-built Scions for sunroof defect

March 2006: Toyota recalls 565,000 vehicles in Japan for faulty drive shafts

March 2007:Toyota recalls 470,000 vehicles in Japan for various quality control problems

April 2008: Toyota recalls 630,000 minivans in Japan for potential fuel tank punctures due to poor quality control

January 2009: Toyota recalls 1.35 million Vitz/Yaris in Japan, South Africa, and North America for faulty seatbelts and exhaust systems

April 2009: Toyota recalls 95,000 Japanese-built Scions for poorly engineered braking systems

The Toyota mystique is dead. Toyota has grown so fast that quantity has come before quality, and they are paying dearly in public perception. We're starting to sound like a broken record repeating this over and over, but it's 2010...educate yourself and get with the times. The quality gap between American and foreign makes is largely non-existent, and in many cases American makes are superior to their foreign competition.

Edited by mustang84
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...

Jun '00 : camry, weak axle shafts, 541 units.

Jan '01 : camry, acceleration/cruise issues, 53,061 units.

Mar '01 : camry, improperly welded subframe, 545 units.

Aug '01 : tundra, tacoma, faulty trailer wiring, 70,717 units.

Jul '04 : camry, twisted side curtain air bag, 128,316 units.

Dec '04 : camry, air bag may deploy on infant car seat, 150,061 units.

Dec '04 : camry, debris in steering wheel airbag, 19,587 units.

May '05 : trucks, lower ball joint separation, 775,000 units.

Aug '06 : tundra, excessive frt susp wear, 219,522 units.

Aug '06 : sienna, liftgate failure, 393,313 units.

Jul '06 : 10 models, faulty steering, weak components, 1 million units worldwide.

Jul '06 : RX, highlander, sticky gas pedal, 367,594 units.

Jul '06 : prius, echo, defective crank sensor, 418,570 units.

Jan '07 : camry, solara, sienna, celica, avalon, ES, engine sludge, class action settlement, 3,500,000 units.

Jul '07 : Fj cruiser, flawed tires, 9,434 units.

Dec '07 : tundra, RR prop shaft separation, 15,600 units.

dateUNK : tundra/sequoia, steering, ball joints, 553,000 units.

May '08 : tacoma, frame rot, 813,000 units.

Feb '09 : yaris, frt seat belt retractors cause post-crash fires (???), 135,000 units.

Feb '09 : sienna, carpet/sticky pedal, 26,000 units.

Sep '09 : camry, prius, tundra, ES, tacoma, avalon, floor mats, 3,800,000.

Nov '09 : tundra, excessive frame corrosion, 110,000 units.

Jan '10 : 8 models, sticky accelerator, 2,300,000 units.

Jan '10 : highlander, corolla, venza, matrix, floor mats, 1,100,000 units.

Feb '10 : prius, lexus HS, poor braking, 147,500 units.

Feb '10 : camry, PS/brake line wear/failure, 7,300 units.

Mar '10 : camry, avalon, rav4, ES, RX, 'service campaign', 933,800 units.

This is just what I jotted down before utter boredom set in & I had to stop. Most of it is available via consumeraffairs.com.

Toyoyo has recalled or issued 'extended service campaigns' for between 15 and 20 million vehicles in the last decade.

Without question, the worst quality brand of the last decade.

Toyoyo has recalled or issued 'extended service campaigns' for between 15 and 20 million vehicles in the last decade.

Agreed

Jun '00 : camry, weak axle shafts, 541 units.

Jan '01 : camry, acceleration/cruise issues, 53,061 units.

Mar '01 : camry, improperly welded subframe, 545 units.

Aug '01 : tundra, tacoma, faulty trailer wiring, 70,717 units.

Jul '04 : camry, twisted side curtain air bag, 128,316 units.

Dec '04 : camry, air bag may deploy on infant car seat, 150,061 units.

Dec '04 : camry, debris in steering wheel airbag, 19,587 units.

May '05 : trucks, lower ball joint separation, 775,000 units.

Aug '06 : tundra, excessive frt susp wear, 219,522 units.

Aug '06 : sienna, liftgate failure, 393,313 units.

Jul '06 : 10 models, faulty steering, weak components, 1 million units worldwide.

Jul '06 : RX, highlander, sticky gas pedal, 367,594 units.

Jul '06 : prius, echo, defective crank sensor, 418,570 units.

Jan '07 : camry, solara, sienna, celica, avalon, ES, engine sludge, class action settlement, 3,500,000 units.

Jul '07 : Fj cruiser, flawed tires, 9,434 units.

Dec '07 : tundra, RR prop shaft separation, 15,600 units.

dateUNK : tundra/sequoia, steering, ball joints, 553,000 units.

May '08 : tacoma, frame rot, 813,000 units.

Feb '09 : yaris, frt seat belt retractors cause post-crash fires (???), 135,000 units.

Feb '09 : sienna, carpet/sticky pedal, 26,000 units.

Sep '09 : camry, prius, tundra, ES, tacoma, avalon, floor mats, 3,800,000.

Nov '09 : tundra, excessive frame corrosion, 110,000 units.

Jan '10 : 8 models, sticky accelerator, 2,300,000 units.

Jan '10 : highlander, corolla, venza, matrix, floor mats, 1,100,000 units.

Feb '10 : prius, lexus HS, poor braking, 147,500 units.

Feb '10 : camry, PS/brake line wear/failure, 7,300 units.

Mar '10 : camry, avalon, rav4, ES, RX, 'service campaign', 933,800 units.

This is just what I jotted down before utter boredom set in & I had to stop. Most of it is available via consumeraffairs.com.

Considering I have a high school diploma, I'd call that pwnage.