ocnblu

Will the Fiesta be a Siesta?

8 posts in this topic

Most of us here have been anticipating the arrival of Ford's new subcompact, the Fiesta. I was over at Ford's Fiesta site this afternoon in the Build & Price section, and I was shocked at how expensive this little runabout can get in a hurry.

How will this car fit in Ford's lineup when a loaded example not only eclipses Ford's larger Focus in MSRP, but moves boldly into Fusion territory? Will Ford be able to support this car at these prices? Will the next Focus, and in turn, Fusion, move up that much in price to make room for the little guy?

And how will the Fiesta price structure affect its domestic cross-town rival, the new Aveo? Will GM see fit to gouge entry-level buyers like Ford will try to do?

With the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris both selling at much lower prices, (Fit Sport Nav is nearest to a loaded Fiesta, I think, at about $19k), isn't there a chance Ford's gamble will go bust? I'm seriously worried about this.

The Golf 5-door starts at 19k and change, the Mini Clubman starts at $21, I have a feeling those are the buyers Ford will be trying to pick off with the Fiesta, not the po' folk buying the Accent/Rio/Aveo. We're not talking about the second-gen Aspire here.

Ford may try to pitch it as a Mini Clubman competitor to justify the price, but the car is not as nice as a Mini, nor is it a real competitor to the Golf 4 door. It's smaller than a Golf, AFAIK.

To me it more closely competes with the Fit, and is a notch above Yaris in niceness/desirability. The new Aveo is as of yet an unknown quantity.

When a Fit Sport is $16.8k, and Fiesta SES 5-door starts higher to begin with and just goes up from there, it sounds risky.

Ford is a mainstream brand, not particularly an aspirational brand. By positioning the Fiesta at the bottom of their lineup, yet pricing it as an aspirational product, Ford risks setting the Fiesta apart in a negative way.

I want to see the Fiesta sell well, I am just concerned dealers will only be able to sell base versions with no options to avoid too much overlap with larger Ford models.

Edited by ocnblu

Smaller than a Golf and here in Europe, and cheaper than the MINI. We do not see the Ford as premium in any way.

Edited by ZL-1

$19,305 for an SES hatch, manual in no-cost Blue Flame with Cashmere leather (which requires the purchase of a random "upgrade" package including pushbutton start and chrome beltline moldings). And note it says leather front seats, which means to me the back seat is vinyl-covered! That is with no other options, and there are plenty more. Yellow paint, for example, is another $300.:rolleyes:

Edited by ocnblu

This thread has inspired me. I'm going to build and price all the things I would consider buying right now and list them out.

Link will be posted here when I finish.

Interesting that the hatch bases $1800 more than the sedan. Isn't it usually the other way around w/ most cars?

Played around a bit w/ the build your own on Ford's website...noticed the 'Keyless Entry Keypad' is only available w/ cloth seats (adding it after adding leather front seats removes it as an option. WTF with that? Ford has offered that option for 30+ years (don't see the point of it w/ fobs today).

Adding a bunch of accessories to the SES hatchback w/ manual brought the total to $22575...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor