Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Video: Top Gear takes on the Lexus LFA

14 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Videos, Lexus, Luxury

lfa-tg-630op.jpg
Click above to view the video after the jump

If you haven't downloaded last night's Top Gear through some nefarious means, you missed one of the few palatable car reviews the trio has done this season. In addition to taking the BMW X6 globe-trotting and putting the all-new, 325-hp Vauxhall Insignia VXR though its paces, Hammond track tested the Lexus LFA in a segment that brought out our inner nine-year-old.

Get past the flashy graphics and obligatory power slides, and the TG grew came away with a similar stance on Lexus' first foray in the world of supercars as us - impressed and perplexed. With more power and just as much tech as a Nissan GT-R and 0-60 time and a raison d'être on par with the Ferrari 599 GTB, it's the price (and a lack of heritage) that leaves Clarkson and Hammond reeling. Make the jump for both the review and the damp Power Lap, and as always, you can get the full episode in high-def glory over at FinalGear.

[source: YouTube]

Continue reading Video: Top Gear takes on the Lexus LFA

Video: Top Gear takes on the Lexus LFA originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 04 Jan 2010 14:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=2Cc9CYIvGAY:SGjWjUsGal8:wF9xT autoblog?i=2Cc9CYIvGAY:SGjWjUsGal8:V_sGL
2Cc9CYIvGAY

View the full article

It is a brilliant piece of engineering, but it isn't any faster than a GT-R. At 300, 400, 500 thousand dollars or whatever they charge for it, it isn't worth it.

It is a brilliant piece of engineering, but it isn't any faster than a GT-R. At 300, 400, 500 thousand dollars or whatever they charge for it, it isn't worth it.

It really isn't. It doesn't even look that great...at least it isn't enough of a looker to justify the price. I like the interior, and there is no question it is easily one of the most amazingly engineered cars on the road, but nothing about it appears all that spectacular unless you are an engineer.

That being said, there aren't many vehicles out there faster than a GT-R or ZR1, which cost fractions less than most supercars that can come close. Is the LF-A expensive? Yeah, but what supercar isn't? There are plenty of "lesser" supercars that cost much more. The problem is it is a Lexus. With that kind of coin you want something with more presence, more looks, more "exotic-ness" than a Lexus, or at least that Lexus. I feel a better design could justify the price slightly more.

Hell, can you even truly "own" an LF-A? Aren't they on two-year lease programs?

>>"With that kind of coin you want something with more presence, more looks, more "exotic-ness" than a Lexus..."<<

You meant ANY presense, ANY looks, ANY 'exotic-ness'....

I tend to think the prime reason the japanese have not produced any exotic cars is because they truely have no idea how to make one look.... and the gtr and lfa are high proof of that.

I'm glad it exists, it's the first cool care from Toyota in years. It's not very pretty, especially teh front, but there's worse out there. I love how the the engine revs so fast it requires a digital tach (which is also very cool) because an analog one couldn't keep up with it. It's is overpriced to be sure, but at least they made something that wasn't an appliance.

Top Gear's cinematography and editing is epic as always, they seem to find ways to raise their own bar every time.

>>"I love how the the engine revs so fast it requires a digital speedo (which is also very cool) because an analog one couldn't keep up with it."<<

You must've meant 'tachometer'.

Now... You can get a proven 10,000 RPM analog tach that's relied upon to be dead accurate in a pro funny car, and I'm thinking that at -what- 5 sec & 300 MPH, they rev a whole sh!tload faster than the nissan. nissan could have just bought from Autometer if they couldn't design an analog gauge that worked in an actual performance car. In fact, all SIX of Autometer's tachs are analog, and often go on cars a hellva lot quicker revving than the gt-r. Regardless of the source for this 'urban myth' info, I call crap.

Edited by balthazar

My thoughts haven't changed on this vehicle. It looks terrible. Like a semi-outdated slightly-riced out modern interpretation on a Supra. It has good performance but a price that doesn't match that performance or its looks. I don't see why anyone aside from the most fervent cash-burning-hole-in-pocket Lexus-fanboy would take this over a Ferrari, Lambo, R8, Zonda, etc etc.

Edited by siegen

>>"I love how the the engine revs so fast it requires a digital speedo (which is also very cool) because an analog one couldn't keep up with it."<<

Now... You can get a proven 10,000 RPM analog tach that's relied upon to be dead accurate in a pro funny car, and I'm thinking that at -what- 5 sec & 300 MPH, they rev a whole sh!tload faster than the nissan. nissan could have just bought from Autometer if they couldn't design an analog gauge that worked in an actual performance car. In fact, all SIX of Autometer's tachs are analog, and often go on cars a hellva lot quicker revving than the gt-r. Regardless of the source for this 'urban myth' info, I call crap.

seppdo, tach, don't be so padanitic. :P

Also I'm not talking about the Nissan (which uses analog) I'm talking about the LFA. Now I could be wrong but a funny car doesn't exactly do much besides accelerate in a straight line then stop. The engines don't rev up and down like crazy as the go around corners, like say on an F1 car does. Anyway you could be right, I don't spend my days studying funny car books, but I think it looks much cooler than an analog gauge would, and fits the car's hi-techness.

Of course its on a Lexus and its digital so you hate it anyway.

Um, practically every racing series that has fast reving engines uses digital (IRL F1, road racing) Even the gauges on most NASCAR cars now have electronic gauges and not analog.

Dodgefan ~ >>"seppdo, tach, don't be so padanitic. :P

Also I'm not talking about the Nissan (which uses analog) I'm talking about the LFA. Now I could be wrong but a funny car doesn't exactly do much besides accelerate in a straight line then stop. The engines don't rev up and down like crazy as the go around corners, like say on an F1 car does. Anyway you could be right, I don't spend my days studying funny car books, but I think it looks much cooler than an analog gauge would, and fits the car's hi-techness."<<

My bad- I mixed the LFA & GTR together from another thread.

Still, you can't tell me a car that goes 0-300 in 5 sec is revving slower than a LFA (<--'LMFAO' ?? :smilewide: ).

Imagine running a $50-100KK engine & shifting 4 times in 3 seconds- all based on the tach.

>>"Of course its on a Lexus and its digital so you hate it anyway."<<

It's not my cup of tea, but at least it could have a whole lot more 'beauty' and a whole lot less 'beast'. I could warm to it a lot more if it wasn't so damned akward-looking. As it is, coming from toyoyo, not being class-leading except in price- what else is going to bring a fat wallet in, if it's not looks ?

-- -- -- -- --

JamesBond ~ >>"Um, practically every racing series that has fast reving engines uses digital (IRL F1, road racing) Even the gauges on most NASCAR cars now have electronic gauges and not analog."<<

But most drag cars with fast revving engines still use analog. Point is, I question the claim that 'the LFA revs too fast for analog gauges', and I think there's ample proof that's not likely.

Edited by balthazar

It's not a pretty car and it is overpriced, but at least it's something interesting and exciting, something that nothing else Toyota builds is, and Honda was too balless to put the NSX replacement into public production.

>>"...but at least it's something interesting and exciting, something that nothing else Toyota builds is, and Honda was too balless to put the NSX replacement into public production."<<

^ I can pretty much go along with that.

I know this is a top fuel and not a funny car, but I'm sure they are similar

post-253-12626708245148.jpg

It's not a pretty car and it is overpriced, but at least it's something interesting and exciting, something that nothing else Toyota builds is, and Honda was too balless to put the NSX replacement into public production.

Given the extremely high price and limited availability, as well as Toyota's own comments that the LF-A's customers would be mostly hand selected, I would hesitate to say it will be reaching the public. You'll have about the same chance at getting one as you would the Honda NSX, which was at least produced for the Super GT racing series.

hondansx_supergt_jgtc.jpg

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room