Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Saab owners gather in wintery Detroit, urge GM to sell brand

8 posts in this topic

Filed under: Etc., Saab

jan-5-2010-saab-rally-lead.jpg
Sell Saab Rally in Detroit - Click above for high-res gallery

Popular wisdom would hold that about the only people willing to show up in sub-zero, slate-gray Detroit for a last-minute rally to advocate for Saab's sale would be stereotypical brand diehards - grizzled old-timers with air-cooled two-strokes and elderly three-doors, not folks piloting General Motors-era models. Interestingly, those in attendance at today's "Sell Saab/Save Saab" demonstration ranged broadly in age from their early twenties on through retirement age, and with the exception of a couple of 1980s 900 models, most of the Saabs were remarkably contemporary (although a good portion of those who showed up professed to owning numerous classic examples at home).

To be fair, we turned up to the meeting point in the shadow of GM's Renaissance Center headquarters this afternoon not expecting a big turnout of either cars or press, as the event was organized just a couple of days earlier by Ryan Enge of SaabHistory.com - and the weather wasn't exactly hospitable, either. As it turns out, we were pleasantly surprised to see a rather small but vibrant group of both. Over a couple of hours, we counted around 50 demonstrators in about 30 Saabs (full disclosure: one of which was AB's own 2001 9-3 Viggen convertible), with devotees venturing in from as far away as Maine, Iowa and Wisconsin, along with plenty of print, radio and television media - both local and international - in attendance. As a demonstration for a brand, the atmosphere was more one of conviviality than consternation and bitterness, a gathering of first-time friends more than an acrimonious protest.

Make the jump for more of the story and check out our high-res gallery below.

Photos by Chris Paukert/Copyright ©2009 Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading Saab owners gather in wintery Detroit, urge GM to sell brand

Saab owners gather in wintery Detroit, urge GM to sell brand originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=OKEuNWMKX0k:krOqJ3z5L-I:wF9xT autoblog?i=OKEuNWMKX0k:krOqJ3z5L-I:V_sGL
OKEuNWMKX0k

View the full article

Nice to see some enthusiasm, but I fear their efforts will be for naught.

'You know, Mr Whitacre, perhaps we should keep Saab open for those poor, frigid 4 dozen people out there. I mean look; they brought six signs...'

"Hm-mmm, perhaps you're right. Yes, lets. Call the papers- it's back on again."

"Excellent, well-grounded, decision, sir."

:wacko:

Even though it won't change things, it's nice to see owners care enough to do something like this. I don't recall Pontiac getting that sort of treatment by any group of owners..or even Oldsmobile, though I don't really remember that Oldsmobile's closure that well so I can't say for sure.

This should be the Saab theme song...

Omslag%20Roy%20Orbison%20Its%20over%20ep.JPG

It's over, it's over, it's oooooooverrrrrrrrr

Even though it won't change things, it's nice to see owners care enough to do something like this. I don't recall Pontiac getting that sort of treatment by any group of owners..or even Oldsmobile, though I don't really remember that Oldsmobile's closure that well so I can't say for sure.

After reading pages of comments on whatever 'save saab' board I was on last week (I was bored), I would have to chalk it up to : Pontiac & Olds owners are definately more sensible than to gather misguidedly in frigid weather & wave 6 signs at the 39th floor windows towering above, expecting a miracle.

I told you they should have thrown a few buck to the homeless guy bumming money aboyt 2 blocks up on Woodward before you get to the Hard Rock.

It is a bigger crowd I have seen for Pontiac. All I have seen from them are letters.

The Pontiac guys should have all come down and did burn outs with GTO's infront of the GM building. It would not have saved the company but it would have been cool to see.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room