Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GMC Urban Utility Concept Teases Us With An "a-Team Van" For Detroit

29 posts in this topic

GMC Urban Utility Concept Teases Us With An "a-Team Van" For Detroit

When you think "GMC," do you think soft-roaders for the city? Really? Not even one that's "professional grade?" Huh. Can't imagine why not. Well, the GMC Urban Utility Concept's going to right that wrong. Here's a tease ahead of Detroit.

Want to see more? Head on over to GM Labs. They've got another equally not-helpful shot over there of a vehicle that's more "a-Team" than "A-Team."

link:

http://jalopnik.com/5441989/gmc-urban-utility-concept-teases-us-with-an-a+team-van-for-detroit

http://thelab.gmblogs.com/gmc-urban-utility-concept/

Well shoot, that didn't take long. I was concerned about the grilles below the headlights, but... that thing looks wicked from the front.

So it's an Orlando badge job. But that's good because the biggest complaint of the Kia Soul and Scion xB is that they aren't "professional grade." If only Pontiac was still here, there could be a third version for those that want an Orlando with EXCITEMENT!!!

EXCITEMENT!!!

You are doing it wrong.

And this vehicle looks to have very different sheetmetal from it's Chevrolet cousin, which will differentiate it enough. Plus the majority of the population won't even figure it out.

Now this is a badge job:

post-1376-12628357136756.jpg

Well everyday I come to work this week, the first thing I do after logging on is go to C&G and see if the GMC Grantie has made the frontpage. So far the Buick Regal GS has made it and the Cadillac XTS has been mentioned, so I'll take this little picture of the Granite's frontend for now - but I'll continue waiting patiently for the rest.

So based on the comments, this is supposed to compete with the Scion XB, Nissan Cube and Honda Element? So far all of those have left me wanting in both style and everything else. I hope GMC Professional Grade takes it to the proper level that will be appreciated.

So it's an Orlando badge job. But that's good because the biggest complaint of the Kia Soul and Scion xB is that they aren't "professional grade." If only Pontiac was still here, there could be a third version for those that want an Orlando with EXCITEMENT!!!

Well, we've only seen the front end... perhaps it is different from the Orlando from the a-pillar back...

So based on the comments, this is supposed to compete with the Scion XB, Nissan Cube and Honda Element? So far all of those have left me wanting in both style and everything else. I hope GMC Professional Grade takes it to the proper level that will be appreciated.

<sarcasm>

Of course, if it were really GMC 'Professional Grade' it would be BOF, RWD, and 4000 lbs or more, not a little FWD box.

</sarcasm>

I think if you really take the time to look at the size of this vehicle it is not a rebadge of the Orlando and shares very little. It also will be a very different vehicle than the Orlando. You know more sporty and fun.

The Granite is only shorter, lower and over smaller than the Orlando by a great degree. Just use look at the second diagram of it compared to the Xb and Terrain.

Think of it as a GMC with a little Soul. [Pun Intended] GMC could get get some really pissed off cats driving it chasing the Hamsters.

02urbanutilitygmctease.jpgw640.png

I think this will play well with many in the HHR camp that hate the Orlando. They only need to do some great interiors and a good stereo then add a powerful turbo engine and handling package.

I just hope to got they get it symmetical. That Nissan Cube is horrible.

Edited by hyperv6

I still can't wrap my head around a GMC FWD tiny box like the xB, Cube, etc. Just doesn't jibe w/ the GMC brand, IMHO. I could Chevy doing something like this.

I still can't wrap my head around a GMC FWD tiny box like the xB, Cube, etc. Just doesn't jibe w/ the GMC brand, IMHO. I could Chevy doing something like this.

We have Buicks acting like Pontiac's and GMC's competing with Mini's. It is time to get used to the New World GM Order. Thing at GM had to change and we will see a lot of new neat ideas and product we never though possible from GM.

Let GM finish all what they have planned before anyone judges as we only have a glimps of what is to come.

The really cool part is there will be just about something for everyone by the time they are done.

Edited by hyperv6

We have Buicks acting like Pontiac's and GMC's competing with Mini's. It is time to get used to the New World GM Order. Thing at GM had to change and we will see a lot of new neat ideas and product we never though possible from GM.

Let GM finish all what they have planned before anyone judges as we only have a glimps of what is to come.

The really cool part is there will be just about something for everyone by the time they are done.

amen!

this is way better than say, a JEEP COMPASS

Edited by regfootball

amen!

But then again I would even consider an Aztek was way better than a Compass.

Anyone ever notice you can't get a compass in a Jeep Compass?

You are doing it wrong.

And this vehicle looks to have very different sheetmetal from it's Chevrolet cousin, which will differentiate it enough. Plus the majority of the population won't even figure it out.

Now this is a badge job:

post-1376-12628357136756.jpg

:roflmao:

amen!

now that i have seen the Granite i think i need to retract this the compass might be nicer.

Edited by regfootball

Bleh OMG such a blatant xB ripoff. :toiletpaper:

Well so far the comments from the non GM people are all very positive. I think they have hit upon something here that would draw in new GM buyers.

Again not something I would buy but something that would help return profit and buyers to GM.

a GMC Scion Xb is not exactly what GMC needs to add definition to their brand.

there are other design concepts that would make more sense. the granite might have been an ok chevy to battle the kia souls of the world. i dont think GMC is the appropriate way to battle the likes of the Soul and Cube.........if they want any respect at all......

And now that we have seen it, it is basically an Orlando badge job, that turned out to be an uglier looking version of a Scion xB. The only thing cool is the suicide doors that won't see production. This is why I think GMC is pointless, they aren't an upscale version of Chevy, they are just overlap, and going down in price to compensate for lost Pontiac SUVs/Crossovers. If GMC were Denali trim only, or heavy duty work trucks I could see the point, but competing with Chevy with an Scion looking box is a waste of resources.

a GMC Scion Xb is not exactly what GMC needs to add definition to their brand.

there are other design concepts that would make more sense. the granite might have been an ok chevy to battle the kia souls of the world. i dont think GMC is the appropriate way to battle the likes of the Soul and Cube.........if they want any respect at all......

I think the lower volume made this a GMC with Chevy already crowded. Also if they make it a GMC they will be able to better option it at a little higher price.

Forget what GMC was in the past as they no longer sell semi cabs and will no longer just shadow Chevy. GMC being different and independent will give them a chance at life. If all they did is fancy up a bunch of Chevys and try to charge more for them they would soon die like Pontiac.

And now that we have seen it, it is basically an Orlando badge job, that turned out to be an uglier looking version of a Scion xB. The only thing cool is the suicide doors that won't see production. This is why I think GMC is pointless, they aren't an upscale version of Chevy, they are just overlap, and going down in price to compensate for lost Pontiac SUVs/Crossovers. If GMC were Denali trim only, or heavy duty work trucks I could see the point, but competing with Chevy with an Scion looking box is a waste of resources.

You readlly do have no clue do you?

It is ok to hate this thing but at least get a clue to what it and the Orlando really are. The only thing they share is the 1.4 turbo.

The GMC is only short, wider, lower and shares no body panels or interior trim. What part of this is a rebadge?

If you don't like it fine but at least get your fact right. You might want to blaime the Canadians too as they really have near as much to do with this as the Orlando.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0