Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chevrolet Malibu Voted 2010-MY Fleet Car of the Year

23 posts in this topic

Chevrolet Malibu Voted 2010-MY Fleet Car of the Year

Chevrolet wins Fleet Car of the Year five years running, with the Malibu capturing the honor for the second straight year. Fleets commend the 2010 Malibu for distinctive styling, outstanding fuel efficiency, and exemplary quality.

By Cheryl Knight

Once again, Chevrolet has captured the Fleet Car of the Year award with the 2010-model Malibu taking top honors. For the fifth year in a row, Chevrolet has won Fleet Car of the Year. Last year, the Malibu also took the top prize, while previously, the Impala won three years running.

Fleet professionals voted on the top 2010 model-year fleet vehicles in the annual online award program sponsored by Automotive Fleet and Business Fleet magazines.

Qualified fleet buyers voted on 75 2010 model-year cars. Fleet managers could vote for one vehicle in both car and truck categories and were encouraged to select the car and/or truck that best fit their company fleet needs, considering features, function, styling, maintenance, remarketing value, OEM service, and driver feedback. Votes were cast on www.automotive-fleet.com.

Inaugurated in 2003, the Fleet Car and Truck of the Year awards continue Automotive Fleet magazine's efforts to promote excellence in the fleet industry. In addition to spotlighting outstanding fleet professionals with its Fleet Manager of the Year Award, the magazine extended that recognition to the products and tools that allow fleet professionals to do their jobs at the highest possible level, including vehicles they select to perform their companies' missions.

"We're honored and proud of this accomplishment," said Brent Dewar, vice president of the Chevrolet Global Brand. "Knowing that fleet managers vote for their favorites and have chosen the Chevrolet Malibu once again gives us validation that our customer focus is on the right track."

the rest of the article:

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/Channel/Vehicle-Research/Article/Story/2009/12/Chevrolet-Malibu-Voted-2010-MY-Fleet-Car-of-the-Year.aspx

At least it's a good car that may actually get butts into dealership seats as opposed to rolling embarrassments like the Grand Prix and Impala.

Here we go again...

The term 'fleet' may have negative connotations here, but it doesn't reflect the reality that many fleet cars are actually very nice models. Two of my brothers-in-law have fleet vehicles provided from their companies, one being a Grand Caravan SXT and the other a Prius!

I used to work for a company that had a fleet of one vehicle. Our old trusty and rusty Express van was treated as a fleet vehicle by our Chevy dealer. I think we got special prices on oil changes & etc.

Fleet vehicle purchasing just isn't for purchasing agents. You too, can buy from the fleet desk. The difference is that your choices may be limited and the price negotiations may be different too.

Then you too, can be a fleet owner...

Fleet sales (especially rental fleets) kill resale value and rob companies of profits.

Also, Pontiac?

Fleet sales (especially rental fleets) kill resale value and rob companies of profits.

Also, Pontiac?

You must have missed the thread that shows Chevy fleets a higher % of their cars over the past 5 years than Pontiac.

You should be saying "Chevy?" Everytime the words fleet or rental are brought up.

Disagree with some of your guys--there's a huge difference between Malibu fleeting and Pontiac fleeting, namely, that the Malibu is a pretty good car, and the Pontiacs frankly weren't. The Malibu is the first rental car my parents have ever rented that they liked--they even try to request them now, and the Malibu is on the shortlist should they choose to buy a car for their vacation condo.

Flooding the fleet market with Malibus is actually a great way for GM to show people how good their new cars are, especially since even base Malibus are decently equipped, and we've even rented a couple LTZ's with the two-tone red/black leather seating.

Disagree with some of your guys--there's a huge difference between Malibu fleeting and Pontiac fleeting, namely, that the Malibu is a pretty good car, and the Pontiacs frankly weren't. The Malibu is the first rental car my parents have ever rented that they liked--they even try to request them now, and the Malibu is on the shortlist should they choose to buy a car for their vacation condo.

Flooding the fleet market with Malibus is actually a great way for GM to show people how good their new cars are, especially since even base Malibus are decently equipped, and we've even rented a couple LTZ's with the two-tone red/black leather seating.

But winning the award is not an accomplishment, since the old Malibu, and Impala have won the award in previous years. The only problem I have is that Pontiac must be mentioned, anytime an article about fleeting vehicles comes out, even if the article has nothing to do with Pontiac, despite the fact that Chevy not only fleeted more than double the amount of cars Pontiac has over the past few years, but more vehicles percentage wise also.

And even if someone likes renting the new Malibu, and requests it everytime they rent, it will still only help Chevy if they actually go out and decide to purchase a new Malibu.

But winning the award is not an accomplishment, since the old Malibu, and Impala have won the award in previous years.

False. You may not *like* fleet sales, but fleet sales are large-order sales. They may not be the biggest-profit sales, but GM does make money on them, especially because a fleet buyer is a repeat buyer year after year. They also get the cars out there on the road, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending entirely on the car itself.

The only problem I have is that Pontiac must be mentioned, anytime an article about fleeting vehicles comes out, even if the article has nothing to do with Pontiac, despite the fact that Chevy not only fleeted more than double the amount of cars Pontiac has over the past few years, but more vehicles percentage wise also.

So? Pontiac had huge fleet sales, too! Chevrolet is the sales king at GM, so of course they'd have more sales, and the percentage isn't too surprising because fleet sales are a great way to unload slow selling inventory, since prior to the new Malibu, Equinox and Traverse, Chevrolets weren't a good buy at all.

And even if someone likes renting the new Malibu, and requests it everytime they rent, it will still only help Chevy if they actually go out and decide to purchase a new Malibu.

Again, false. My mother has been so anti-GM ever since she owned a POS 1978 Skylark. Toyota and Volvo all the way. Now she likes a GM car, and has even said she could see herself living with a Malibu. Even if she doesn't buy, her mind has been changed so she will at least consider something domestic, and more specifically, GM. She's also talked about how good the Malibu is with her friends...maybe one of them will buy it?

Changing perceptions and getting Chevrolet on shopping lists is why fleet sales are important, especially rental cars. When you rent a car for your week-long vacation, it's like a week-long test drive, now isn't it?

So? Pontiac had huge fleet sales, too! Chevrolet is the sales king at GM, so of course they'd have more sales, and the percentage isn't too surprising because fleet sales are a great way to unload slow selling inventory, since prior to the new Malibu, Equinox and Traverse, Chevrolets weren't a good buy at all.

But Pontiac has already been killed. Why continue to repeat anything negative about the brand when it is already going away? Just to annoy the fans the brand has? That wasn't done when Olds was killed, and isn't being done now with Saturn. I would rather remember and talk about the good parts about the brand than to continue to dwell on the negative, especially when the negative wasn't specific to Pontiac, but also to Chevy, and to some degree the rest of GM also.

my friend who owned the passat when he got his new job was forced into a malibu as a company car. at first his plan was to keep the passat for weekend drving he liked it so much, but began to like the malibu as well and he quickly got rid of the passat. he loves his malibu, aside from that its just an LS and he'd like a few more bells and whistles.

But Pontiac has already been killed. Why continue to repeat anything negative about the brand when it is already going away? Just to annoy the fans the brand has? That wasn't done when Olds was killed, and isn't being done now with Saturn. I would rather remember and talk about the good parts about the brand than to continue to dwell on the negative, especially when the negative wasn't specific to Pontiac, but also to Chevy, and to some degree the rest of GM also.

Oh my gosh, you brought up Oldsmobile! I know it is dead, but I just want to remember the good times, so could you please not bring up its demise? I want to live in 1968 with the Rocket V8! Good times, guys! How about that Aurora? And Toronado? Whee, those were the days!

Seriously, I don't understand where you're coming from at all here. I only mention Pontiac in objective, factual terms, or in relation to its role within GM. It sounds like a personal problem if you are getting so bent out of shape at someone else's mere mention of Pontiac in terms of the recent substandard product mix and its heavy fleeting. Neither of those statements should be contentious issues, and in a thread discussing the merits of fleet sales and GM's award, comparing/contrasting GM's recent fleet queens is perfectly relevant.

Agreed - there's nothing wrong with a good car selling to fleets. Pontiacs, Kia Rondos, etc. are different in that consumers don't buy them, and as a result, have to be discounted heavily for rental companies.

In Europe, BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes cars are heavily fleeted as company cars for management jobs.

In Europe, BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes cars are heavily fleeted as company cars for management jobs.

This is part of what I was alluding to in my earlier post. Fleet sales do not necessarily equal rental sales.

Additionally, I rented a Malibu Maxx before I bought one. I was glad I did. It was the best way to test drive one.

Pontiac?

Also, Pontiac?

Oh my gosh, you brought up Oldsmobile! I know it is dead, but I just want to remember the good times, so could you please not bring up its demise? I want to live in 1968 with the Rocket V8! Good times, guys! How about that Aurora? And Toronado? Whee, those were the days!

Seriously, I don't understand where you're coming from at all here. I only mention Pontiac in objective, factual terms, or in relation to its role within GM. It sounds like a personal problem if you are getting so bent out of shape at someone else's mere mention of Pontiac in terms of the recent substandard product mix and its heavy fleeting. Neither of those statements should be contentious issues, and in a thread discussing the merits of fleet sales and GM's award, comparing/contrasting GM's recent fleet queens is perfectly relevant.

I was referring more to the 2 posts above. Is that really necessary every time an article is posted that has the word fleet in it?

Saying "Pontiac" on C&G is like throwing a cheesecake on the floor at a Jenny Craig meeting. The carnage is fascinating.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0