NewsFeeder

Buick Regal GS brings performance back to TriShield brand

148 posts in this topic

Filed under: Concept Cars, Detroit Auto Show, Sedan, Performance, Buick

regalgs---01_opt.jpg
Buick Regal GS - Click above for high-res image gallery

Buick has a long history of turbocharged Regals starting back in 1978 when the first example appeared. That "personal luxury" coupe was one of the first mainstream American products to adopt exhaust-driven turbocharging to recover some of the power lost to downsized engines. Unfortunately, in the era before electronic engine management and fuel injection, those Regals weren't very good. Over the next decade, however, Buick refined these technologies, which led to the formidable GNX, supposedly the quickest production car in the world when it was introduced in 1986.

Fast forward to today and the Regal badge is back. Aside from four wheels and Buick's signature water fall grille, the new Regal has no relationship to the Regals of yore. Unlike the Eighties, when making an American car more "European" meant painting the chrome trim black and stiffening the springs, this sedan was originally developed by General Motors' European operation as the Opel Insignia. As such, it might actually appeal to those considering a BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 or Mercedes-Benz C-Class. But to really seal the deal, Buick is using the Detroit Auto Show to revive another one of its historic badges: the GS. Learn about the Regal GS after the jump.

Photos by Sam Abuelsamid / Copyright ©2009 Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading Buick Regal GS brings performance back to TriShield brand

Buick Regal GS brings performance back to TriShield brand originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 07 Jan 2010 00:02:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=vSb8WYdGrs0:d41_TNTKfAE:wF9xT autoblog?i=vSb8WYdGrs0:d41_TNTKfAE:V_sGL
vSb8WYdGrs0

View the full article

This is the first time I've ever actually wanted a Buick. Yes Please!!!

~250hp and almost 300ftlbs...and a 6MT, yes please. i envision this competing budgetwise against a well optioned v6 camaro...high 20k's?

I really like the look and performance of this thing...one of teh few cars that actually looks really good in white too.

Stunning for a 4 door, and blows the LaCrosse out of the water IMO...if I had the money, this is the first car to make me say to hell with a new Challenger. This thing is sweet.

Too bad it isn't the OPC gear, but a V6 would probably be too expensive and get too much into Cadillac territory price-wise.

And be nose-heavy.

This car is the closest thing to the MAZDASPEED6 to hit our shores... even though Lutz et al. haven't :AH-HA: explicitly :AH-HA: said that it will come to our shores.

I also wouldn't be mad if a less luxurious version became a Malibu SS...

Very well-done. Love the details. Wish it were a coupe.

WTF is with the incongruous front vents. They're so staggeringly ugly, it ruins an otherwise nice design.

Seriously, it looks like a half-finished photoshop done by a ricer.... :killitwithfire:

Call me crazy, but I like the looks of this more with the Buick grille than with the OPC's grille...

WTF is with the incongruous front vents. They're so staggeringly ugly, it ruins an otherwise nice design.

Seriously, it looks like a half-finished photoshop done by a ricer.... :killitwithfire:

They're distinctive, to say the least.

I'd trade in my Grand Prix for it, if I could afford it.

I love this car.

Too bad it isn't the OPC gear, but a V6 would probably be too expensive and get too much into Cadillac territory price-wise.

Yeah V-6 + AWD will be approaching CTS territory. Buick would rather test water with this one prior to putting any V-6 in the Regal. Moreover GM wants it to not cannibalize Lacrosse and wants to keep it as a baby Lacrosse.

Call me crazy, but I like the looks of this more with the Buick grille than with the OPC's grille...

+1. OPC is a little overdone.

This car has a sexy ass! :lol: Seriously, I really like the rear 3/4 view of this car. This or the 2.0T version could very well be what gets me back into a new GM vehicle. I know I liked our Aura we used to have and this is nothing more than the next generation. Plus, I loved the 2.0T in the 9-3 we used to have. I'm a bit of a HP junky so I'm a little sad they aren't offering the V6 from the OPC but I'm sure they'll have a factory "stage" kit like they do for the LNF in the Sky/Solstice and Cobalt/HHR.

This car has a sexy ass! :lol: Seriously, I really like the rear 3/4 view of this car. This or the 2.0T version could very well be what gets me back into a new GM vehicle. I know I liked our Aura we used to have and this is nothing more than the next generation. Plus, I loved the 2.0T in the 9-3 we used to have. I'm a bit of a HP junky so I'm a little sad they aren't offering the V6 from the OPC but I'm sure they'll have a factory "stage" kit like they do for the LNF in the Sky/Solstice and Cobalt/HHR.

For us it was an Aura (traded for 'Bu) and 2 9-5's, and we loved both. I think this is a daring move by GM to put the LNF in it. I think with the torque that this will show well against the new Buick Regal targets (A4, etc) and loved someones comments about an American Mazdaspeed6. Should get decent CAFE numbers that will allow GM to crank out something fun, but yet not a CAFE killer. I think we will see a GNX within 3 to 4 years of the Regals launch and that may use an updated 2.8 or even a 3.0 Turbo!!! Now that will be fun. Bravo for Buick and maybe some this will give some of the Pontiac people hope. While the name may be dead the spirit lives one :-)

Good paper specs and an attractive design. Interesting, if it wasn't a Buick.

Why does GM want to make every one of its brands a sporty brand? It seems to me like they're trying to give the same exact image to each brand. Does GM know the direction they want to go?

Why does GM want to make every one of its brands a sporty brand? It seems to me like they're trying to give the same exact image to each brand. Does GM know the direction they want to go?

Finally implementing good driving dynamics and tuning doesn't equal "sporty." Buick is NOT becoming a sport brand--it's just not looking to be a "floaty" brand much longer. Buick has a strong history of building luxury cars with performance, especially under the Regal marque, so this doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me.

Stunning. This is going to become one of my favorite GM products. On my wish list would be a Regal coupe with even more performance and the GNX badge.

Well, in Buick's case it's because they need to fight the old-man's-car image. Besides, they're not making ALL Buicks sporty, so I would hardly say they're trying to make Buick a sporty brand.

Buick has a long history of sporting models. I see nothing wrong with returning to their roots, especially now that they are moving upmarket.

I don't understand your comment "interesting, if it wasn't a Buick." It's not like it's going to have the same floaty ride as a 90's Park Avenue.

this is of high interest. i sent these pics to a buddy of mine yesterday. he is hard core 'old school' GM fan. loves the classic muscle cars and 70's cars and any rear drive boxy traditional GM cars. One car is his fleet is a 70 camaro and another is a mid eighties buick regal turbo. he typically hates anything euro. his wife drives the bonneville sse.

HE LOVED this car and said it was reminiscent of an Audi. I am telling you this guy is old school GM and the fact that he owns a classic turbo regal and likes this one is encouraging.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor