NewsFeeder

Chevrolet Aveo RS concept proves small hatches are ready for a renaissance

106 posts in this topic

Filed under: Concept Cars, Detroit Auto Show, Budget, Hatchback, Chevrolet

x11ch_av001_opt.jpg
Chevrolet Aveo RS concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

If by chance we thought about the Chevrolet Aveo at all during the past several years, it was usually because of its unfortunate styling and cheap feel. Starting with next week's 2010 Detroit Auto Show, Chevy is out to change the Aveo's image into a product that we might actually desire. The process begins with the Aveo RS concept, which provides a preview of what to expect from the next-generation production Aveo when it arrives in showrooms sometime next year.

The B-segment of small cars in the U.S. is shaping up to be a real battle royale with the new Ford Fiesta arriving soon, Fiat bringing over the stylish 500, the Volkswagen Polo and, of course, the incumbent Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris. It remains to be seen how much the segment will grow unless gas prices start climb again. Regardless, those of us who appreciate good small cars are certainly in for more feast than famine in the next several years. Follow the jump to learn more about Chevy's redesigned entry in the resurging small car segment.

Continue reading Chevrolet Aveo RS concept proves small hatches are ready for a renaissance

Chevrolet Aveo RS concept proves small hatches are ready for a renaissance originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 08 Jan 2010 00:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Y-TtPSirkcU:rUtxP2EAIyM:wF9xT autoblog?i=Y-TtPSirkcU:rUtxP2EAIyM:V_sGL
Y-TtPSirkcU

View the full article

Wow, that is quite a surprise. It's actually a very attractive and aggressive looking little hatch I'd like to own. Much better proportions than teh old car as well. I especially like the individual light pods for the head and tail lights. I just wonder what isn't making production.

Why do those headlights remind me of the VW Scirocco?

Edited by ZL-1

If this exact vehicle reaches production, I will possibly change my mind, but I don't see that happening. Plus it will also have to feel good to drive, something else I have little confidence in, being as it's a Daewoo, and based on their history.

This concept has some nice details. The headlights are proportionate, the stance is not bad for a puddlejumper, the interior, with all that black, appears nicer than the current car in the photos.

The hidden rear door handles are not the same as having a proper 3-door bodystyle. That visual trick didn't help the Nissan Pathfinder in the 80's, it still doesn't work here.

They still need to prove to me they can build a desirable puddlejumper. If they have, I might change my opinion on it, but that remains to be seen.

The Fiesta is still king of this class, imo, at least so far. Production Aveo, tested and approved is the next step.

This exact vehicle can't possibly reach production. At the very least they'd have to put proper handles on the front doors. (I just noticed after posting that the back doors have inset levers.)

I had a feeling GM would be going this direction with the Aveo. I consider the new grille on the current Aveo hatch to be more of a MCE than anything. And this here is where the cycle is going.

I like the concept. Hopefully they can get it to production in decent time and looking sharp.

Edited by aaaantoine

What surprises me is that the overall thoughts about this car in all the forums/posts have been positive, despite being a "GM," with only one gripe GM should build it AS IS without watering it down. I hope Ren Cen is listening.

It may change a little but not a lot. http://carsspyphotos.com/2011-chevrolet-aveo/. We have to keep in mind this car needs to live in the real world too with people who may not want to pay for the projection lights and $200 tires.

As for the non GM post on other sites most love the change and have only praise for the styling. Lets face it even watered down it is more exciting looking than the Fit.

Edited by hyperv6

Wow! I'm amazed! This looks good. I thought the new Fiesta would rule the subcompact segment, but it looks like GM might have a serious contender here; they just need to ensure that the production version's execution meets or exceeds the competition. Looks promising so far.

Keeps hoping that the current track record of concept to production is upheld with the Aveo.

Looks good. Who still thinks Aveo will ruin Cruze?

they won't need a cruze hatch if the aveo does well and fills that void in chevy's portfolio.

fiesta looks blobbish compared to this.

I acutally might consider the Aveo RS as my next car with the 1.4 turbo it could be a nice little pocket rocket.

Edited by regfootball

I had very low expectations and my jaw dropped a little when I saw this. Let's hope GM carries through properly and doesn't water it down.

I like it the way it is save for production mirrors. The hidden door handles makes for a clean look. I hop this isn't any heavier than the currant car, the 1.4l turbo 4 would be great IF not too heavy. I'd still like to see them turbo the 3 cyl say a 1.0 l for base engines.

It may change a little but not a lot. http://carsspyphotos.com/2011-chevrolet-aveo/. We have to keep in mind this car needs to live in the real world too with people who may not want to pay for the projection lights and $200 tires.

As for the non GM post on other sites most love the change and have only praise for the styling. Lets face it even watered down it is more exciting looking than the Fit.

Agreed. The new pictures have helped ease my opinion about the nose....

As nice as it is, unless it comes in an auto, my wife won't touch it.(Yes, she has to drive it too)

I'll be interested to see how the trim level comes out with this car.

If I can get it how I want it (or pretty close), I would really consider it......

Wow! I'm amazed! This looks good. I thought the new Fiesta would rule the subcompact segment, but it looks like GM might have a serious contender here; they just need to ensure that the production version's execution meets or exceeds the competition. Looks promising so far.

What he said. Expect the nose needs to grow on me more....

they won't need a cruze hatch if the aveo does well and fills that void in chevy's portfolio.

fiesta looks blobbish compared to this.

I acutally might consider the Aveo RS as my next car with the 1.4 turbo it could be a nice little pocket rocket.

Maybe, but it is going to depend on the price....

Wow, I really like it. Now just make sure it has enough grunt under the hood, and it will be a nice small car. This thing is honestly smoking hot, I just hope this concept looks like the production model. Given GM's track record as of late with cars like the G8, Enclave, LaX and so on I have more faith than ever.

What he said. Expect the nose needs to grow on me more....

Maybe, but it is going to depend on the price....

the turbo aveo RS still has to be under the price of the Fit IMHO. and with the expensive turbo, that will be hard.

pontiac had some G3's with 19k stickers, i hate the notion that an Aveo could top 20 grand. If that is the case, then i want 200 hp, not 138.

Why do those headlights remind me of the VW Scirocco?

That was my first thought as well.

I wouldn't change a thing about the styling. It projects exactly the attitude it needs to stand out in the segment. But as others said it will need to be decently spunky and fun to drive as well to be a real winner. I wonder if there will be a replacement for the Aveo sedan. A convertible would be sweet too, but that's unlikely.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

the turbo aveo RS still has to be under the price of the Fit IMHO. and with the expensive turbo, that will be hard.

pontiac had some G3's with 19k stickers, i hate the notion that an Aveo could top 20 grand. If that is the case, then i want 200 hp, not 138.

That's what I'm wondering....then at that price point, it makes more sense to just get a Cruze....

If it goes higher than 17k, it's going to be a hard sell.

Heck, you can get fully loaded Aveo now for like 13k.....

Understandable on the tires, but GMDAT already used production projectors on their Optra5 / Suzuki Reno with that car offering good standard options and still being extremely affordable.

After the spy pics, I'd like to see a production version....

I like it. I hope they are still going to make the 4 door sedan version. wonder what it would look like as a 3 door hatch?

is this the car they are going to build in Lake Orion Mich?

Looks really good, but I'm curious what the holes on either side of the buttons on the console are...On other recent GM designs, the air vents would be there, but this one has rectangular vents between the screen and buttons...

Edited by PONTIAC06

Agreed. The new pictures have helped ease my opinion about the nose....

As nice as it is, unless it comes in an auto, my wife won't touch it.(Yes, she has to drive it too)

I'll be interested to see how the trim level comes out with this car.

If I can get it how I want it (or pretty close), I would really consider it......

It will be in a auto and I suspect it will be thew same auto as the Cruze. It will account for 90% of sales.

I would say the piece will be from 12K-19K.

Trim will be LS, LT and RS based on many of GM's habits.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor