Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Next-Gen Ford Focus unveiled! U.S. and Euro models finally united

30 posts in this topic

Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Budget, Sedan, Hatchback, Ford

nextgenfordfocus000_opt.jpg
Next-gen Ford Focus - Click above for high-res image gallery

As we begin 2010, it looks like the compact C-segment is shaping up to be one of the most highly competitve segments in the auto industry. The Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, VW Golf and Jetta, along with the new Chevrolet Cruze are fighting for the hearts, minds and dollars of the masses. And then there's the Ford Focus.

This week in Detroit, Ford is unwrapping an all-new Focus for the 2012 model year. When the original Focus debuted internationally in 1998 and then in the U.S. a year later, it was more or less a common design. The U.S. version, however, suffered from a series of manufacturing issues and recalls within its first year of sales. Meanwhile, the overseas model got a full redesign in 2004, but Americans kept the MK1 Focus until three years ago when it got an unfortunately awkward re-skin. This time around the new Focus is truly global and adopts the latest evolution of Ford's European "Kinetic" design language. Judging by our first exposure to the 2012 Focus, every other contender in the segment may have a real problem to deal with next year. Learn more about the new Focus after the jump.

Gallery: 2011 Ford Focus

nextgenfordfocus000_thumbnail.jpgnextgenfordfocus001_thumbnail.jpgnextgenfordfocus002_thumbnail.jpgnextgenfordfocus003_thumbnail.jpgnextgenfordfocus004_thumbnail.jpg

Continue reading Next-Gen Ford Focus unveiled! U.S. and Euro models finally united

Next-Gen Ford Focus unveiled! U.S. and Euro models finally united originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:02:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=QH5E6snmU54:WDP56TB0eZc:wF9xT autoblog?i=QH5E6snmU54:WDP56TB0eZc:V_sGL
QH5E6snmU54

View the full article

looks good , mostly. not a fan of the huge "mouth".

The taillights are a bit overwrought on the hatchback, not sure how they will look on a lighter colored car. I hope they don't chrome up the grille for the US (like they did w/ the Fiesta sedan). I like the profile, and the rear of the sedan--see lots of Mondeo in it. The interior is quite nice, IMHO.

It's a much more expressive design than the Cruze, IMHO. It will be interesting to see how the 3dr and coupe look.

bland bland bland. the hatch is ok. the sedan has no direction.

interior manages to look dull and messy despite having decent materials. too much going on.

focus may have powertrains going for it, but me thinks i like the looks of the cruze better.

astra hatch still gonna be the best looking in this segment.

Not sure about the front end, based on initial impression I kinda like the current Euro Focus' more.

The rest of the car however looks terrific. Much more dynamic and upscale than anything else in the segment. Makes the Cruze looks stale and boring. Really nice proportions too. Interior looks pretty slick too. Nice to see integrated controls.

My initial impression of the hatch wasn't all that great but I actually like the sedan quite a bit. I hope they really do introduce an ecoboost version even though it won't be as crazy as the RS that we won't get. Hopefully it will be at least 220 hp.

clever fuel flap integration, i will give them credit for that....

nextgenfordfocus005.jpg

just a thought, if there is no cruze or buick compact hatch, the focus hatch may win for me by default......

i don't mind the hatch so much but the sedan to me is just dull.

you could park this new focus next to the old contour mystique and see some family resemblance.

i like that this car did not get those stupid front quarter windows. they did bring the windsheild way forward but not so much to have to put in the glass triangle of crap.

all these five door hatchbacks are starting to develop common styling, its probably gonna start to get dull soon.....

that chrysler lancia hatch is hideous!!!!!!!!!!

this focus hatch is more dynamic than the golf, i will give it credit for that.

Edited by regfootball

ok, starting to warm up to the interior, too.

Except, where is the armrest (way back), the drink holders are too far back, and the shifter seems too far forward.

Really like the handbrake location though.

nextgenfordfocus023.jpg

Edited by regfootball

ok, starting to warm up to the interior, too.

Except, where is the armrest (way back), the drink holders are too far back, and the shifter seems too far forward.

Really like the handbrake location though.

nextgenfordfocus023.jpg

I like it.

Me too, a lot. Looks very upscale, would be right at home in a car costing $10k more.

Ford really is on a roll w/ cars these days, IMHO. The '10 Fusion, the '10 Taurus, the Fiesta, this Focus, the '11 Mustang improvements...some very sold product across the board, IMHO.

Very sharp looking car. The Cruze looks a little dated, cheaper and too conservative in comparison.

Very sharp looking car. The Cruze looks a little dated, cheaper and too conservative in comparison.

Well, the Cruze is an Asian (GMDAT) design, in general, it seems Asian compacts are more conservatively styled than their European counterparts.

The Focus fits in nicely w/ current the Fiesta, Mondeo, Galaxy, C-Max, S-Max, and Kuga styling, and should fit well w/ the US market Fiesta, Fusion and Taurus..

This car is awesome. Ford nailed it. Looks great on the outside, interior looks to be very well put together, I love the Nav screen that I assume gives you the weather and stuff like the Lincoln version does, plus Sync is nice. This is a car that will appeal to younger buyers because of the technology in it. The wheels look great, Ford just got this perfect. My only wish would be a turbo version, which would be easy for them to do.

GM: trumped again by Ford. This is so much more dynamic, fluid, sporty and elegant than the Cruze. I really like the bodylines on the sedan, and hope a coupe is drawn closely from the sedan. The Cruze suddenly looks 5 years old... not a good place to be before launch. Horrible for GM. I don't normally like 5-door hatchbacks, but this one looks marvelous to me.

Ford keeps saying Mercury is not dead, and variations of this car will appear in Mercury showrooms. I hope they keep their word.

I'd own a Mercury or Ford coupe version of the sedan in a... heartbeat!

The one thing that has me baffled is the design of the hatchback's taillights... bizarre.

Edited by ocnblu

let's just hope this thing doesn't price out at 25k.

I am guessing the size will be bigger inside than the old contour / mystique, and will prob handle even better. in that case this could be a heckuva car.

add an ecoboost, and we could have a really fun ride.

Base Focus, or loaded Fiesta?

A pretty nice looking entry to a segment that is getting more and more interesting.

A BILLION times better than the current Focus, and very good for its segment. This will sell, and sell well.

I also think I like the current Euro-spec Focus more than this. The front clip of the new model really bugs me. The lower air intake is too big and the weird triangular side intakes make it look like they were added at the last minute in the design. Add onto that the weird shaped headlights and hatchback taillights and it makes the car look incomplete. The rest of the Focus looks great though.. it's just unfortunate about styling for the front end.

This is way better than the Cruze, or any of the Japanese entrants in this segment. The Fiesta will probably be the best sub-compact, Focus looks like the best compact, Fusion Hybrid is car of the year, and the Taurus/SHO is the best full size car, just light years better than an Impala and better than a Maxima, Avalon or LaCrosse. Ford is looking really strong.

Focus sedan: part of this new teardrop style trend. Funny how I instantly liked the looks of this, but the Cadillac XTS seemed too otherworldly to me.

I think it's because teh Focus looks more balanced with its proportions somehow.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0