Would you buy a V8 car?

Would you buy a V8 passenger car (not SUV/truck)?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a V8 passenger car (not SUV/truck)?

• Yes, in the Camaro or similar.
    • No.
    • Yes, but only in something large like a Magnum.

I can't pick both? a V8 is a powerful engine, and it's not as though its only purpose is for towing. Camaros are fast cars, and Magnums are fairly quick big cars. I'm the kinda guy where, if I'm shopping for some type of car, performance is always a major factor.

Yea, I pick both, and personally I'd never buy a car without a V8 (unless it is like the 3 series and doesn't come with a V8 as an option...for now anyways...of course, there are always those infamous LS engine swaps I've heard so much about :AH-HA_wink: )

This is kind of a silly question don't you think? :P

My car has a V8 in it and while it gets horrible gas mileage, I wouldn't settle for anything less.

For some people, economy and what not is a big facto when buying a car. For me, performance is on top of the list.

Edited by Nick

A luxury sedan should have nothing less than a V-8. Furthermore, I prefer the characteristics of a DOHC engine over pushrods. For a smaller, sporty car, I find 6's to be adequate. I'm not into big, rumbly V-8's, and that's part of the reason I couldn't find myself to be entirely comfortable in a Corvette.

YES!

I think a better question is would you buy a car without a V8 powerplant? The answer to that question is in "NO" 85% of the time.

Although inline sixes, Buick 3800s, air cooled pancake motors, turbocharged/SC motors & rotary engies all have their fascination & attraction.

For a few short weeks in 2003 I owned four V8 powered cars.

1968 Chevrolet Camaro (ZZZ350)

1983 Pontiac Firebird (truck crate motor 350)

1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance (Olds 307)

1997 Cadillac STS (northstar)

I sold the Fleetwood Brougham shortly after I bought the Firebird but my fleet has had two or three V8s ever since.

Edited by Sixty8panther

I don't know what to choose. I would consider it if I had the money to get a large car. I would also consider it if I was in the market for a Camaro type car. But in general, I'd probably have to say no, as once you hit V8 territory, cars start getting out of my price range.

My next car is going to be RWD, Manual Trans, V8, and not a truck. Those are my only requirements...

So I'm hoping something comes out so I have more than just the GTO and Mustang to choose from. I have all my life to get something sensible and practice. While I'm single/married and have no kids I want a performance car.

Edited by lakefire

There should be an option for "Sh*t yeah!!!!!!"

My Blazer had one, and I'll definitely get another one again. Used C5 'verts are on my radar. I had intended on waiting 'till the Cobalt is paid off, but if one for the right price comes along and I can find a garage for it, I just might get it.

In the Camaro and most other cars, I'd do everything in my power to get the V8 if its offered as an option. If its out of my reach, I'd fall back to the V6 as long as the car wasn't a slug, or if GM offered over-the-counter performance upgrades for it.

Just so we're straight... I'm not some V8 hating fool, which, some of you may have thought by reading my earlier post. I just do not need that many cylinders. The idea of souping up a smaller engine is intrigueing to me. I love turbocharging. What fun is turbocharging a V8 in a small car? Not much, IMO. TCing a 4cyl or 6cyl, however, makes sense and isn't over doing it. Again, I like compact vehicles and a V8 is just not practical for 2800lbs vehicles. In a 2 seat sports car... Yes, but not otherwise. With that said, I wouldn't mind having a V8 if I had a Fiero. That car was built for V8s to be swapped into it... B) :D

Also, who said a 4cyl and 6cyl can't sound awesome? Well, they can, you dirty haters. :P

Already done it:

1956 Chevrolet 210 hardtop w/ 265 "power pack" V8

1966 Plymouth Belvedere w/ 318 "poly" V8

1971 Chrysler Newport w/ 383 V8

1972 Olds 98 w/ "Rocket" 455 V8

1973 Chrysler New Yorker w/ 440 V8

Last year, when I traded the STS for a Trailblazer, was the first time in 43 years that I haven't owned a V8 vehicle.

While the CTS and Trailblazer are quick (since I use my left foot on the brake), I miss the "push you back in your seat" power of a V8 under full throttle.

Oh well, If I win the lottery, there'll be another Vette and Trailblazer SS in the driveway.

For me, it depends on the car. Right now, I don't long for a sports car and I doubt I ever will. Give me a V8 Magnum or 300, though, and I'm good. It also depends on my mood. Sometimes I think, "Damn, I can't wait to get a high powered car" and other times I think, "What's wrong with getting the I4?"

Of course... I've owned V8s before ('84 Chevy Caprice, '87 Mustang GT).

Currently, I have straight 6s (BMW M3, Jeep Grand Cherokee) but I'm sure I'll have another car with a V8 in the future... probably a sporty coupe or convertible or a luxury sedan.

In my daily driver? No real need. No matter where I drive, I'm in traffic, noplace to really open a V8 up so I'll take the better economy and lighter weight. The V6 in my Solara shoots in and out of traffic just fine. Like Z, I'd consider a C5(or a C4, I have a strange attraction to them) as a second car, although I really woulnd't have time to enjoy it.

I Like V8's in passenger Cars like My Caprice :wub:

Also like cars like the Camaro.

Now wiht V8's being fuel effiecient they are resonable and sensible to own.

I have only purchased cars with V8's. I was given a car with a 4 cylinder and inherited a car with a V6. I kept neither one over 4 years. I would only buy a 4 cylinder or V6 if I could not afford a car with a V8. I'm not really interested in owning a truck or SUV.

Man, I'm in the minority. No way. After getting to 28 to 30 mpg in a V6 powered vehicle nearing 200 horses, it sure feels better on my wallet and in my head than the Rocket 350 V8 in my first car which never hit 20 mpg. Not to say I didn't like the "sound" of that engine way more than that of my trusty Buick V6.

I'm not passing judgment. I just think that if we all shaved off a little bit, we'd reduce the usurption of the finite supply of fossil fuel.

I'm sounding like a granola and I am the furthest thing from that.

Edited by trinacriabob

Yes, I would.  The sound is intoxicating.  I know I'd get myself in trouble though.

Same here... Keeping it stock would be a challange for me too.. First I'd start with some flowmaster mufflers, then I'd move on to headers, unrestricted cat, redo the entire exhaust to true duel with an x-pipe, camshaft, ect..

personally i think that v8's can be stuffed into smaller cars and that smaller cars are fine

right now a i4, i5, i6, v6, b4, b6, rotataries are very sufficient and in this time with the cost of petroleum i would rather have one of those

and in the case of many it depends on the engine and car being mated together

and for me? .......... a new chevy aveo looks like it needs a ls2 stuffed into it

Yes, but there's something about the silky-smoothness of I-6's that's always attracted me.

:huh:

Since I got my Caprice's 305 not a 350 tuned up you cant tell it's started when idle. and the transmission, you cant even tell it shifts. the reving is very smooth. Accleration is amazingly smooth to, unless you spin the tires. plus nothing beats the thoatyness of a old V8 not them new computer controlled v8's that sound like 4 clyinders. I need an old Distributed and Carbaurated V8. No sequenctial fuel injection or forced air intake. no computered enhanced blaster coiled spark.

I think the bottom of my sig tells how obsessed I am wiht the SBC. :D

Only in something larger.

Otherwise, 4- of 6-cylinder engines properly tuned can satisfy whatever performance I'm looking for, whether the car is front-, all-, or rear-drive.

The current IMpala SS is scary with the V-8. Too much power for a FWD platform. It is just silly. In iterations like the 300 or BMWs, I can see it. I agree with many on this board that nothing quite sounds like a rumbling V-8. GM should make available a RWD car platform again and make a V-8 available for those who demand it.

The current IMpala SS is scary with the V-8.  Too much power for a FWD platform.  It is just silly.  In iterations like the 300 or BMWs, I can see it.  I agree with many on this board that nothing quite sounds like a rumbling V-8.  GM should make available a RWD car platform again and make a V-8 available for those who demand it.

Three words: Grand Prix GXP.