Interactive Review: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS

Drew Dowdell

Interactive Review:

2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS

gallery_51_17_122374.png

For my trip back from the 2010 NAIAS, I was turned in the 2010 Cadillac CTS Sportwagon you see in the background and was given this 2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS. Sixty miles into the trip I am very impressed... this is far too much fun to be healthy. The seats are supportive and comfortable, the stereo provides your own personal dance club, and the car is a very willing and able dance partner.

This kicks off the Interactive Review for the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS. So, while I get back on the road back to Pittsburgh and eventually finish the reviews of the 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXSand 2010 Cadillac CTS Sportwagon, and upload lots of pics of 2010 NAIAS including a video of the 2010 Cadillac XTS Concept moving around the show floor, you guys can fire away with any questions you have on this Camaro.

Does the 3.6L sound good? Did you get an automatic or manual?

I got an automatic. The 3.6 is rather sedate just around down, but once you start to push it, it sounds great. I might try and get some video from the driver seat.

How is the traction on the sloppy stuff? How is the visibility in traffic---I sat in several at the auto show, outward visibility seemed pretty compromised.

There is a blindspot on your left that is a little unnerving, but the right side is pretty good.

I've driven an SS, but not a six.

I wonder if it would seem like enough to me. Have you driven an SS, Drew?

I don't know if it would be enough for you or not. It's plenty easy to get to extra-legal speeds with just the V6. For most people, the V6 would be plenty. However Camino, you and I both know that you aren't "most people".

I have not driven an SS.

Point taken.

I'm guessing that after a day of driving a V6 version, I might be able to say "Hey, this isn't half bad." And mean it.

I like how the car isn't decontented by virtue of not having a V8 - it's refreshing to see.

I look forward to your reactions after "stretching the Camaro's legs" a bit.

My wife's coworker has an RS V6 Camaro, and this thing sounds MEAN for a six! It has a lopey idle, and a kickass snarl when revved/pushed. They're a beautiful car, and extremely well built. (My 2 cents, anyhoo lol).

Do you find that the hood seems to go on forever? And how is the back seat for space (I know it's a Camaro, and not built for the rear seat occupants) but there's a seat there for a reason LOL

How does it feel on the twisties? Previous V6 Camaros were knocked for having pretty floaty suspensions with somewhat sloppy steering.

Point taken.

I'm guessing that after a day of driving a V6 version, I might be able to say "Hey, this isn't half bad." And mean it.

I like how the car isn't decontented by virtue of not having a V8 - it's refreshing to see.

I look forward to your reactions after "stretching the Camaro's legs" a bit.

That would be what "RS" is for. 8)

Was my comment removed?

i could have sworn i put a comment:

When i sat in one at my local Chevy dealer and i was completely underwhelmed by the flat, black, pebbly, plastic dash on the passenger side. also the high belt lines were annoying, felt like i sitting was in a bucket compared to my sub,(although the mustang wasn't any better)

Was my comment removed?

i could have sworn i put a comment:

When i sat in one at my local Chevy dealer and i was completely underwhelmed by the flat, black, pebbly, plastic dash on the passenger side. also the high belt lines were annoying, felt like i sitting was in a bucket compared to my sub,(although the mustang wasn't any better)

Everyone has their own opinion but I am shocked when people say underwhelmed. Everytime I walk by even our 1LT model my eyes are drawn to it. I really think the Camaro represents incredible value for under $30,000. I use to sell 200 hp previous model Impala's for $34,000 with lacked anything this Camaro has.

also the high belt lines were annoying, felt like i sitting was in a bucket compared to my sub,(although the mustang wasn't any better)

Sub as in Suburban? Or Subaru?

Doesn't really matter as it would just be a matter of degree. Your impression just comes with the territory in pony cars and sports cars. Part of the reality.

How does it feel on the twisties? Previous V6 Camaros were knocked for having pretty floaty suspensions with somewhat sloppy steering.

This is a Zeta platform car...ahem...not an old F-body. Even FE2 suspension as on the V6, it's quite firm and planted, largely not feeling any different than the FE3 SS because of the lighter V6. The Camaro doesn't "melt" to the road as well as the G8 does, which many have commented on, and can get a little bobbity at times or not as natural at the limit, but a Zeta is a Zeta and there's a natural balance in this chassis--it's just been nipped and tucked quite a bit to make it fit the Camaro lines.

Otherwise as someone asked, winter it's not bad at all--my G8 GT tracks like a tank, especially after new A/S GY tires--the main issue is just the 20" summer Pirelli's. Once it gets cold, the summer treads get hard & glassy and start to loose grip let alone with any moisture. Not the best in that regard, but with proper tires it's such a balanced chassis and with Stabilitrak, etc. it trucks right along.

I'm glad you're having fun with it. I saw photos of the production Synergy Special Edition, and I like the green and gray colour combo. It starts at a reasonable price, too. I'd take one with a manual and no options, just fine.

Sub as in Suburban? Or Subaru?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, Suburban, i just call it the sub

Doesn't really matter as it would just be a matter of degree. Your impression just comes with the territory in pony cars and sports cars. Part of the reality.

Ya i figured, but it was those high belt lines, small windows that i was talking about. the G8 i though had better visibility, although im wondering if the challanger is the same as the mustang, and camaro

Everyone has their own opinion but I am shocked when people say underwhelmed. Everytime I walk by even our 1LT model my eyes are drawn to it. I really think the Camaro represents incredible value for under $30,000. I use to sell 200 hp previous model Impala's for $34,000 with lacked anything this Camaro has.

well someone else must have liked it it sold that week, the G8 i was looking at was brought down to 25 odd thousand before it sold, an the interior would havee been better if that strip of fabric was a contrasting color or was inline with the A/C vents

- after going to the Chevy site i found that the interior is actually a lot better in beige

Edited by CanadianBacon94

So, I was cruising past a Chevy dealership, and look at that... they got a TON of Camaros... including two in Imperial Blue and a Transformers edition Yellow. Well, I have some time... let kick some tires.

So stopped in and got an eyeful... but in the end, I'm really disappointed.

I didn't drive it, but sitting in one and giving it a serious pretend "ride", I don't think I could live with the new Camaro. It's too hard to get into, and out of... Its awkward getting in since I have to wrap my right leg under and around the steering wheel to avoid banging my knee into the steering column as I fall in. Falling into the seat, my head hits the roof... BAD. Then, even with the door open as wide as possible, My left leg doesn't clear the door jam... I had to pull my leg up so high, and bend it kinda badly to wedge under the wheel. My head hits the roof, unless I virtually tilt the seat ALL the way back. There is no back seat with me in the car. To be honest, the rear seat is so distant with the door open, I wonder if its even useable as a package shelf.

Shutting the door, the car is pretty claustrophobic. I don't mind the visibility... I've driven plenty of cars with large A or C pillars... with high dashboards or door sills... no problem. Its the roof... the side windows are SO short, I doubt a bladderbuster drink would fit without opening the door while going through a drive thru. IF I was skinny as a rail (I'm not) I couldn't Dukes of Hazzard it into the side window. Worse, since my head is rubbing the roof, the side windows end at my eye level.

Edit: I'm 6'4", with a long torso. I'm pretty big, but I don't feel my girth was the trouble fitting in the car.

I may still get one eventually, but I was really disappointed by the ergonomics. I had hoped the car would be more like the 1st gen in ergonomics... Its not even close.

In the end, while not actually planning on buying anything, it looks like I might end up with a '08 Torrent GXP in the family, due to this diversion. Yikes!

Edited by SAmadei

So, I was cruising past a Chevy dealership, and look at that... they got a TON of Camaros... including two in Imperial Blue and a Transformers edition Yellow. Well, I have some time... let kick some tires.

So stopped in and got an eyeful... but in the end, I'm really disappointed.

I didn't drive it, but sitting in one and giving it a serious pretend "ride", I don't think I could live with the new Camaro. It's too hard to get into, and out of... Its awkward getting in since I have to wrap my right leg under and around the steering wheel to avoid banging my knee into the steering column as I fall in. Falling into the seat, my head hits the roof... BAD. Then, even with the door open as wide as possible, My left leg doesn't clear the door jam... I had to pull my leg up so high, and bend it kinda badly to wedge under the wheel. My head hits the roof, unless I virtually tilt the seat ALL the way back. There is no back seat with me in the car. To be honest, the rear seat is so distant with the door open, I wonder if its even useable as a package shelf.

Shutting the door, the car is pretty claustrophobic. I don't mind the visibility... I've driven plenty of cars with large A or C pillars... with high dashboards or door sills... no problem. Its the roof... the side windows are SO short, I doubt a bladderbuster drink would fit without opening the door while going through a drive thru. IF I was skinny as a rail (I'm not) I couldn't Dukes of Hazzard it into the side window. Worse, since my head is rubbing the roof, the side windows end at my eye level.

Edit: I'm 6'4", with a long torso. I'm pretty big, but I don't feel my girth was the trouble fitting in the car.

I may still get one eventually, but I was really disappointed by the ergonomics. I had hoped the car would be more like the 1st gen in ergonomics... Its not even close.

In the end, while not actually planning on buying anything, it looks like I might end up with a '08 Torrent GXP in the family, due to this diversion. Yikes!

i sat in one at the dealer for a long time yesterday, and a lot of what you say is true. it might be hard to get past some of those deals.

After the rental in Vegas, a Camaro coupe seems like a pretty awful car to deal with if your car ever has more than 2 people or you expect to be able to carry things or if you're used to a more refined/pleasant interior space or if you have to change lanes. But I'm sure its fantastic if you have nothing better to do on a Friday night than drive around racing Civics.

After the rental in Vegas, a Camaro coupe seems like a pretty awful car to deal with if your car ever has more than 2 people or you expect to be able to carry things or if you're used to a more refined/pleasant interior space or if you have to change lanes. But I'm sure its fantastic if you have nothing better to do on a Friday night than drive around racing Civics.

Well, I don't usually have more than 1 person in my car, so back seats are not real high up on my needs... Sure, if some kids fit back there, or an adult for a short trip, fine.

What irks me, however, it that _I_ can sit in the back of a '69 F-body. Its not particularly comfortable, but I could do it. Why have we lost this "technology" 40 years later when designing a larger, heavier car?!? The original was 4 inches shorter, 1.5 inches narrower and 3 inches lower! GM really dropped the ball here in terms of ergonomics.

I wonder how much square footage of luggage space is in a Camaro v. a Mini Cooper, both with seat up.:scratchchin:

Square footage I would give the Camaro the win... but in terms of usefulness, the Mini would win. I was surprised the size of the "trunk hole", in photos it looked small... in Real Life, I could see most objects fitting into it... but nothing super large. No bikes, big screen TVs... the Mini could handle that stuff with the hatch open.

I wonder how much square footage of luggage space is in a Camaro v. a Mini Cooper, both with seat up.:scratchchin:

Tis why we have 2 cars. It is a million times easier to get stuff into and out of the Mini than the Camaro. The 3rd gen was probably also a lot easier to haul things with than the 4th.

...but not with the back seat up, I'm sure.

Of sorry... I was reading/thinking that wrong... Yeah, with the back seat UP, the Mini wins both ways.

The trunk is pretty deep... its also perfectly flat. I started to look under the carpet but the dealership had a bunch of crap set up nicely "on display" and the guy was getting antsy, so I didn't explore further.

Seriously, if I was gainfully employed, I probably would have had them put the car on the lift for a fuller inspection.

I will admit, I'll be revisiting the situation when the convertible comes out... it will fix alot of the ergonomic problems... and unless a top brace is right above my head, I'm sure it will be more comfortable with the top up.

Of course, knowing GM, the convert will not be available with the Z28 (If it sees the light of day) or my preferred color (Imperial Blue).

On a side note, I had complained elsewhere that I was not happy with the backup system being standard... I don't like the ugly 4 rivets in the rear bumper/fascia... but on the Imperial Blue and the Black, they are not too obvious, which I like.

Let me say, without reservations, that the backup system is standard because it's necessary.

But its not standard... only on the SS or the higer level trims, I forget which and I've heard conflicting claims.

Of course, I have always felt if you can't park it, you shouldn't have bought it. While I did not actually drive the car, I felt visibility was decent... of course, I'm used to older cars and windowless delivery trucks and mobile homes... because I drive everything that doesn't require a CDL. ;-)

Olds, is the uplevel Camaro radio in color? I played with two cars, but the SS had the battery disconnected. I was disappointed in the eye-searing orange LS because the radio had a monochrome type display, or at least it seemed that way.

I have driven both a V6 auto RS and a SS RS 6 spd manual. The suspension on the 6'er felt almost identical to our Saturn Aura XR. The 6'er in my mind would be a perfect daily driver, forgiving suspenion, good power, great milage for what it is. The SS was a bit choppier ride but not in a bad way. I felt the shifter had a nice throw to it. I'm almost 6'-4 and felt very comfortable setting in the car. The higher beltline doesn't really hinder the visibility any. I had no problem with it. The back seat room as you can imagine is a joke, pretty much worthless except to put a couple 9 year olds or some luggage in.

I will admit that the ergonomics of getting in and out of the car are awkward at first, but after just a week with it, I've become and expert at it even in tight spaces. Not even an issue now.

When I have the driver seat configured for my 5'10" self, I cannot sit in the back without my knees hitting the back of the front seat. I also have to crouch a little or my head touches the roof.

The balance of the chassis is sublime. You sit so far aft relative to other vehicles that it feels the two ends of the car are rotating around you when you make a turn. Assembly wise Chevy gets an A. Fit and finish is perfect. Ergonomically, the only challenges are getting into and out of the Camaro. Once you're in, everything is easy to reach and use.

I'll say this, I have never been a Camaro or F-body kinda guy. I gravitate to the CTSes, Lacrosses, and XTSes. This Camaro is so much fun it has me re-thinking those preferences. I don't have a kid (yet) so there is no logistical reason I couldn't have one of these as a daily driver. Those of you who know my vehicular preferences will realize what kind of high praise that is. Think.... 68 giving serious consideration to adding a 4-door FWD 4-cylinder to his fleet.

• Agree 1

Fit and finish is perfect. Ergonomically, the only challenges are getting into and out of the Camaro. Once you're in, everything is easy to reach and use.

In the SS I agree. In the LS, I was not as impressed... a lot panels felt cheap and didn't fit or look good. I would have rather seen the poorly fitting panels wrapped in a cloth, rather than just being gray plastic.

As far as reaching around, for me, once in the car, I'm so far reclined and back that I can reach all the controls with my gorilla arms, but I'm not sure I could reach something on top of the dash. If I had a passenger, I would be elbowing them in the face every time I reached into the back seat, as well. ;-)

I will admit that the ergonomics of getting in and out of the car are awkward at first, but after just a week with it, I've become and expert at it even in tight spaces. Not even an issue now.

When I have the driver seat configured for my 5'10" self, I cannot sit in the back without my knees hitting the back of the front seat. I also have to crouch a little or my head touches the roof.

The balance of the chassis is sublime. You sit so far aft relative to other vehicles that it feels the two ends of the car are rotating around you when you make a turn. Assembly wise Chevy gets an A. Fit and finish is perfect. Ergonomically, the only challenges are getting into and out of the Camaro. Once you're in, everything is easy to reach and use.

I'll say this, I have never been a Camaro or F-body kinda guy. I gravitate to the CTSes, Lacrosses, and XTSes. This Camaro is so much fun it has me re-thinking those preferences. I don't have a kid (yet) so there is no logistical reason I couldn't have one of these as a daily driver. Those of you who know my vehicular preferences will realize what kind of high praise that is. Think.... 68 giving serious consideration to adding a 4-door FWD 4-cylinder to his fleet.

:smilewide:

I was wondering what effect it would have on you, given time.

I'm due for another "test drive", I think...

In regards to the 4th-gen V6 suspension/steering statements, I will say that from the countless 4th-gens I've test driven and the two 4th-gen V6s I've owned, I've noticed it to be a hit-and-miss kind of deal. My old A4 Firebird and the M5 Camaro I have now both handled/handles great, but I have noticed the suspension on my Camaro is a lot more firm and holds the road better than my Firebird did. The steering in my Camaro is also tighter and better weighted than my Firebird's used to be.