NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Mercury to launch Ford Focus-based model in 2011

10 posts in this topic

Mercury to launch Ford Focus-based model in 2011

01/13/2010, 12:35 PMBY DREW JOHNSON

Ford’s Mercury brand has been largely neglected over the last several years, but the ‘tweener brand is slated for at least one new model in the coming year. However, like Mercury’s current lineup, the new model will be based on an existing Fordproduct.

Speaking to Automotive News at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Ford America President Mark Fields revealed that Mercury will be launching a new small car in early 2011. Based on the recently unveiled 2012 Ford Focus, the Mercury derivative will begin production later this year.

No other details were offered on the Mercury-badged Focus, but expect the transformation to closely mirror that of the Ford Fusion-based Mercury Milan. Powertrains will likely carryover unchanged, but look for the Mercury version of the Focus to receive Mercury’s signature waterfall grille, slightly altered front and rear fascias and a bit more standard content. The Mercury-badged Focus will also carry a small premium over its Ford counterpart.

Although the decision to add the Focus to the Mercury lineup doesn’t make much sense on paper, it’s likely tied to Ford’s dealership structure. Lincoln-Mercury dealerships are often lumped together in stand-alone stores, giving those franchise owners at least one small car to populate showrooms.

LINK:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercury-to-launch-ford-focus-based-model-in-2011.html

Good to hear. We actually really have a surprising number of Tracer customers out there. They're holding on to them. Hopefully this will make them want to upgrade. If Mercury gets a coupe, I'll be looking closely at it.

Good to hear. We actually really have a surprising number of Tracer customers out there. They're holding on to them. Hopefully this will make them want to upgrade. If Mercury gets a coupe, I'll be looking closely at it.

Agreed. I really like the direction Mercury is going...

Yep. I think this is a good idea....merc could use one....

imho the new Focus could well be "the most important car of the CENTURY"

so

the Mercury C557 = "a bit nicer than" "the most important car of the CENTURY"

biggrin.gif

I loved my Tracer... engine was noisy, rough, and gutless, but most 4-cylinders at the time were... hence why I have great difficulty thinking of a 4-cylinder of today as refined.

I wonder if this means Mercury will return to Canada? Hopefully it ain't a rebadge.

I wonder if this means Mercury will return to Canada? Hopefully it ain't a rebadge.

eventually

after all LincolnMercury will be going global

I hope they start GlobalMercury with successor to the Focus Cabrio next year

mercurycapri-1.jpg

(borrowed without permission from rmc523 @ BON)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room