ANOTHER Caddy...

Which wheel/tire combo?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which wheel/tire combo?

• As is, machined-face Brougham wheels & blackwalls
    • New whitewalls, with chromed Brougham wheels
    • Impala SS wheels with Deville centercaps

Couldn't help myself. After my dad so graciously bought the '93 Fleetwood Brougham for my brother and I to use as a "school car" ( :D:D:D ), I fell madly in love with that car and knew I would one day have one of my own.

Well, as luck would have it, I stumbled upon a Medium Marblehead Metallic/Light Neutral '95 with 117k on it at a used car lot not far from our house via Autotrader (it was finals week...what else was I supposed to be looking at!?), and went to look at it. In a lot of aspects, it was even nicer than our primo '93, plus had all the best improvements they ever got (LT1 Vette engine, larger mirrors, etc.).

Took me a couple weeks to really think it over, but I eventually made them an offer of $4500 for it last Tuesday (they wanted $4995 cash) and they accepted. I was thrilled, because being a semi-expert on these cars, this one is easily worth a bare minimum of a little over $5k.

Here's a couple VERY cool pics (nice driveway, huh?):

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the rest:

At the dealer

At home

Love it too pieces, but I only got to drive it a couple of times so far, since I didn't buy it until a few days before my Christmas break was over....so, for now, it is in the watchful hands of my brother at home.

Very nice ride. Don't worry about that LT1. My dad tore one down two weeks ago with 140K from a police cruiser, and the cylinder walls and rings looked like new.

Lots of look with it.

your new sig should read "Lots of white, and a little bit of medium marblehead metallic"

Thanks. I'm not worried at all about the LT1--all looks well, but I'll most likely be getting the trans fluid & filter changed when I get back home in March, along with flushing the power steering fluid.

This car DEFINATELY has a lot more balls than our '93 with the TBI 350--and I thought that car was quick as is. Actually, funny as it was, when I took my dad along so he could check it out and drive it, he was in a highway center turnaround and punched it when he pulled out, effectively sliding the back end a little and going "Holy sh*&! This car definately has a lot more power than mine--and the engine is still completely stock."

Tossing around wheel/tire ideas in my head, but I won't be changing anything with those until, at least, late summer. The blackwalls on it now look a little funny, but they're nearly new Michelin X-Ones that are great tires, so they can stay for a while. But, if I do get around to it, I either want to do a set of factory stock chrome Brougham wheels and new whitewalls or go "sporty" and do Impala SS wheels with newer Deville centercaps. Not sure yet.

Before that, I'll probably do an intake and a couple other minor things, but I won't be changing that much overall. So cool to have such a big luxury crusier with Cadillac style, but Vette power under the hood... :booyah:

Very nice ride. Don't worry about that LT1. My dad tore one down two weeks ago with 140K from a police cruiser, and the cylinder walls and rings looked like new.

Lots of look with it.

your new sig should read "Lots of white, and a little bit of medium marblehead metallic"

Oh, and as for the sig...I'm working on it, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do. :AH-HA_wink:

That's exactly like my old Fleetwood Brougham. Identical. I sold mine for a 2000 DeVille DTS and I actually miss the 95.. The DTS turns a lot more heads and has more power, but there's just something about driving such a big vehicle.. And believe it or not, the FWB turned heads as well.. It's got the softest ride you can get in a car today... I love it.. You got a great deal...

Edited by Sal Collaziano

Stop hoarding all the B-bodys! Man I'd take any one of those three to relace my FWD STS that burns more oil than a 92 year old Furnace. The whilte Fleetwood in you fleet is stil my fave. but you can't go wrong wiht the other two.

P.S. Just one thing: that car needs and deserves white walls.

There's something rugged and serious about a big ol' Cadillac with blackwalls. I prefer them on this car, they make it look unstoppable, while you ride in a caccoon of luxury. Whitewalls are kinda fussy.

I get a similar vibe when I see a '62 Coupe DeVille with fat blackwalls (not low profile) with Torque Thrust rims. It brings tears to my eyes because it's sooo badass...

Edited by ocnblu

About the tires...

I know, kinda. I've always been the one to criticize other people's Roadmasters/Fleetwoods as ugly when they had blackwalls, but now that mine actually has them, it isn't so bad. Looks a LOT better in person, actually, partly because of the gray/pewter color of the car itself. And all shined up, paint, tires, etc., it looks even better. That, and they're such a fresh set of expensive Michelins, it's not like I HAVE to get rid of them as soon as possible.

Whitewalls would still look nicer with the true image of the car (like they do on our white '93), but if I do that, I'm also going to get a set of the same wheels but in CHROME. Or, I'll do larger Impala SS wheels with Deville center caps. Neither is in the budget right now, but like I said, maybe later in the summer.

Here's a quick comparison--let's have a vote, maybe.

My car, as I bought it:

Posted Image

The SAME car, but with chrome stock wheels and whitewalls:

Posted Image

And again, the SAME car, but with Impala SS wheels and Deville centercaps:

Posted Image

Take your pick, and let me know what you think :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

Just added a poll above...in addition to any comments (LOVE the hear them :AH-HA_wink: ), you can also vote.

Oh, and keep in mind--I'm 19, going on 20 soon, and in college--but won't have the car up here with me until next year, as a Junior.

Gotta say, though, it's SO cool to drive such an old-fart barge with whitewalls on it, yet still blow away people from red lights and literally never get noticed speeding on the highway (REALLY doesn't stand out at all).

Edited by caddycruiser

CaddyCruiser.. Gotta love that second picture with the chrome rims, eh? I found all those pictures when I was looking for mine as well.. The color you have (same as mine) really looks amazing when clean.. Take good care of it, okay? I may want it when you're done. :P

CaddyCruiser.. Gotta love that second picture with the chrome rims, eh? I found all those pictures when I was looking for mine as well.. The color you have (same as mine) really looks amazing when clean.. Take good care of it, okay? I may want it when you're done. :P

Haha, thanks. Yeah, I've had those "borrowed" pics around for quite a while too. Didn't you end up putting a set of the chromes on your car when you had it? What tires did you use?

I still really love the SS/Deville wheel combo too, just for an added bit of sport on this big boat, but don't like the fact that both the 17" wheels and tires would be quite a bit more expensive to buy than the 15's would.

Don't worry about the upkeep...EVERY car in the driveway is damned near immaculate, even though we don't have a garage, and this one will only be better because it's all mine :AH-HA_wink:

I DO NOT like the blackwall look on this car.

Posted Image

My personal choice, although I would also be happy keeping the stock rims and adding whitewall tires.

Posted Image

A great look, but not my preference. I went to the Carlisle Fairgrounds "All-GM Nat's" two years ago and there was a guy with a Caddy just like this one (rims and all).... and to boot he added a 6-speed manual trans, custom made console, and bucket seats. A neat Caddy, but again not my preference.

Posted Image

Btw, congrats on the purchase. This Caddy still remains my favorite today... and I love seeing them on the road still. There's a real nice dark blue or black one that drives all around where I live. He's an older guy, so maybe I should ask him to sell me it when he decides to retire it! :P

GMTruckGuy74...

You know why the last car looks so much like the one you saw? Because it IS that car!

It's interesting to see what other people say, especially when it comes to such a rare, oddball car like this. Right now I'm swaying a little more towards the chrome Brougham wheel w/ whitewall.

Actually, like you mentioned, the standard machined-face wheels with ww's would also look nice, and they really do on our white '93--but with the pewter/silver coloring of this car, I think they blend in just a bit too much. A factor the chrome ones would eliminate.

Here's what I mean, looking at a pic of Sal's car when he first bought it (before the chromes):

Posted Image

My goal is to keep it largely stock, with the exception of a few minor things like a K&N intake system and swapping in a Roadmaster climate control unit, since the Caddy one is awful. No real suspension or exhaust changes, as I like it the soft, soothing character it has now, combined with the roaring Vette power under the hood. Fun combo :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

Not that I haven't posted these a million times already, but thought I'd "refresh" a bit on each of the 3 B&D's in the driveway:

#1) '92 Roadmaster Limited sedan, White w/ Red leather, every single option available including Tow Package. Bought by my father in March '03 with 183k on it. Now has 193k and is going strong and looks great.

Posted Image

#2) '93 Fleetwood Brougham, Cotillion White w/ Garnet Red leather (VERY rare), very "basic" optioned, with only the Brougham package being added. Bought by my father in July '03, after he sold his '69 Chevelle for it, with 88.5k on it. Now has 103k and looks great, with its main mission as the "spare" car in the driveway, used by my brother to get to school or my mom when her Suburban is in the shop.

Posted Image

#3) '95 Fleetwood Brougham, Medium Marblehead Metallic w/ Lt. Neutral leather, only a couple options like the Brougham package, Security package (alarm & fuel door lock), and full-size spare. Just bought by me last week with 117k on it and in beautiful shape, even better than our '93.

Posted Image

So, in essence, it all started with the Buick and has only grown since then... :D

Whitewalls is the only way to fly with a ride like this; just make sure they're real whitewalls and not those cheesey-ass Vogue tires. I hate those things with a passion.

Yeah, I know. They're VERY expensive and, from what I've read, of horrible quality. A lot of people still use them though.

But I am sort of wondering what good choices I'll have. This past summer, we put a set of 70k warranty Kumho Touring 795 A/S whitewalls on the '93 and I really liked them...until I bought this '95 and noticed, #1) how much smaller they looked than my Michelins, even though they're the same size, and #2) how mine feels tighter on the road, which could be a lot of things, but is also partly the tires.

I'd get another set of Kumho's based on their price alone (the lowest) and their general quality, but I'm not so sure I want something undersized after driving on these great Michelins. Only other good choices, I think, right now are Yokohamas or Coopers.

Interesting breakdown so far:

17% to leave it as is

50% to put on a set of whitewalls (and also, maybe, chromed stockers)

33% to do a set of SS wheels

So, the general consensus is to go full stock with some WW's, but anyone else want to comment on why or why not to go with the SS wheel/Deville cap combo? Like I said, I like the look but not the extra cost, but still wonder what others here think of the looks of it?

Edited by caddycruiser

Drop that $h! like it's hot on sum Twenny-Fo's!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All joking aside some genuine wire wheels and white walls would be perfect!

Sixty8panther...HAHA, I was just waiting for a comment like that to come up! Wire wheels are pretty cool on these cars, but not exactly my taste, so I'll say no to that for now.

mute...that's actually the same kind of way I feel about that combo--not typical classic Caddy, but still looks OEM, in a really cool way. Plus they'd be a lot easier to clean than all the little openings in the Caddy wheels.

Edited by caddycruiser

My personal choice, although I would also be happy keeping the stock rims and adding whitewall tires.

Posted Image

What he said! Whitewall... or Whitewall and Chrome :)

The Impala SS rims make the Caddy look custom, but any GM person will know you're putting Chevrolet Rims on a Cadillac.... not classy IMO.

What he said!  Whitewall... or Whitewall and Chrome :)

The Impala SS rims make the Caddy look custom, but any GM person will know you're putting Chevrolet Rims on a Cadillac.... not classy IMO.

Never thought about that. Looks cool, but not as ritzy as 100% Caddy would.

Keep the comments coming :AH-HA_wink:

I'd rank my preferences in this order:

1. Chrome wheels w/ whiteys

2. Impala SS style wheels w/ Caddy centers

3. As is.

Have you thought about the idea of just getting a set of whitewalls for your wheels? As far as cost effectiveness goes, I think that's second only to leaving everything alone. Plus, I don't think there's anything wrong with your wheels. Aesthetically, they "fit" the car.

I'd rank my preferences in this order:

1. Chrome wheels w/ whiteys

2. Impala SS style wheels w/ Caddy centers

3. As is.

Have you thought about the idea of just getting a set of whitewalls for your wheels? As far as cost effectiveness goes, I think that's second only to leaving everything alone. Plus, I don't think there's anything wrong with your wheels. Aesthetically, they "fit" the car.

Yes, I have, actually. That's the combo we have on our white '93, and it looks great, but I just think the machined-face finish blends in a bit too much with the pewter/gray paint on this car. If you check out this pic from Sal again, you'll see what I mean:

Posted Image

He did the same swap. Plus, for as little as I can get a used set, I'd rather have the slightly flashier chrome-plated versions--still stock, as they were an option then, just a little more flash. Plus, I've just always wanted to have a set of those wheels if I ever bought another one of those cars--they just look terrific.

I think I could make out well, actually, if I sold the set of wheels and nearly new expensive Michelins that are on it now, and then bought a new set of whitey's and the chromes--wouldn't make money, but it shouldn't cost me a whole lot extra, as long as I could sell what's on it now.

Yet there's still something about the SS wheel combo that looks REALLY cool...more expensive, but cool.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 3 weeks later...

Okay...after thinking about it more, I'm going to say that I'm 95% sure I'll be doing a fresh set of whitewalls and a set of chrome-plated factory Brougham wheels. In conjunction with the Medium Marblehead paint, this combo is just too damn pretty! (NOTE: Not my car below, just that same pic I posted before)

Posted Image

That, and it'll really help with the sleeper motif when I smoke people...here's a little example (someone else's, of course :AH-HA_wink: ):

http://www.badbodies.com/caddy4.wmv

:D:D:D

Edited by caddycruiser

Nice ride, I don't see too many B-body Fleetwoods or Roadmasters around anymore. Especially Roadmaster sedans...I think I've only seen two in my whole life.

Keep 'em clean and enjoy them!

And I'd say go with some whitewalls and chrome factory Brougham rims as well. It looks a lot more elegant than blackwalls.

Nice ride, I don't see too many B-body Fleetwoods or Roadmasters around anymore.  Especially Roadmaster sedans...I think I've only seen two in my whole life.

Keep 'em clean and enjoy them!

And I'd say go with some whitewalls and chrome factory Brougham rims as well.  It looks a lot more elegant than blackwalls.

Thanks, and yeah, that's what I am planning on for the wheel/tire combo once I get around to it.

Pretty much all the little older used car "quirks" are now fixed, I just need to replace a few little interior trim parts (already on the way) and clean the interior fully (almost spotless, but I never got a chance to clean/treat the leather or all the plastic yet). Then all should be good.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 1 month later...

I am glad you got your car. I must say I enjoyed your story and reading about your car. I actually considered the Fleetwood before I bought my Oldsmobile Ninety Eight. I liked that car too. I am glad you have one. I hope by now you have completed some of the changes you desired to place on your vehicle.

Thanks for the new replies. Right now I am in a bit of a debate over the whole wheel and tire thing still, but I should have it figured out by this summer.

Two weeks ago, though, it had to go in for $1500 worth of work. I drove it to the bank on a Saturday morning and all was fine, but when I went to leave, it would start, sputter, and die. Ended up having to get it towed to the dealer where I had a service appointment scheduled for Monday anyway, and it took a whole week to have everything repaired.

To make a long story short, it now has an almost completely new fuel system (pump, filter, strainer, sender, wiring harness, etc.), new EGR valve and harness, new window rollers on the driver's window, and then what I originally made the appointment for--fresh transmission fluid & filter.

That repair has made a bit of a dent into the budget, so any and all changes/modifications are now going to be a bit more limited. So far, though, I have (1) replaced center console/armrest with one out of a '96, because it was redesigned, and I liked it better, (2) replaced a broken trim piece on one door panel, and (3) installed a chrome-plated stainless steel front plate with a OEM Cadilllac emblem on it.

Not a lot, but I do have a few more things I still need to get done, like installing a climate control out of a Roadmaster (much better and more functional than the Caddy's, and pretty much plug n' play) and replacing a couple other trim pieces.

I need to get some better pics up, but wasn't able to take any new ones before leaving back for school again.

Edited by caddycruiser

Can't wait to see the updated pics!

Yeah, there really isn't all that much different now, except for me removing the dealer plate & sticker, cleaning it up a little more, and then installing the chrome front plate and new armrest.

I'm going to try and get the Roadmaster climate control installed and also fix a small hole and wear spot in the driver's seat before taking the pics...but right now I'm only around the car when I get a break from school, the next being Easter.

Still, thanks and I will keep everyone posted :AH-HA_wink:

Any advice you can share when looking to buy a Fleetwood? I found one locally at a used car dealership - '96 Fleetwood Brougham, white with a dark interior (I think maroon, it was late at night and raining), no vinyl roof (a big plus for me).. that's all I know so far. I've always loved these B-bodies and am seriously considering buying this if the mileage is good, the car is in very good shape, and the price is right.

Any advice you can share when looking to buy a Fleetwood?  I found one locally at a used car dealership - '96 Fleetwood Brougham, white with a dark interior (I think maroon, it was late at night and raining), no vinyl roof (a big plus for me).. that's all I know so far.  I've always loved these B-bodies and am seriously considering buying this if the mileage is good, the car is in very good shape, and the price is right.

YES, I certainly do. Very, very busy right now, but will try and make a nice write-up for you, including my experiences, sometime tomorrow.

In the meantime, sounds like a TERRIFIC car. Finding them without vinyl roofs is pretty hard, but they are SO much more desirable in my opinion too, especially with a white car because you don't have to worry about discoloration and staining...bugs the heck out of me on our white '93. And a burgundy interior! Terrific combo :AH-HA_wink:

Stay tuned... :AH-HA_wink:

YES, I certainly do.  Very, very busy right now, but will try and make a nice write-up for you, including my experiences, sometime tomorrow.

In the meantime, sounds like a TERRIFIC car.  Finding them without vinyl roofs is pretty hard, but they are SO much more desirable in my opinion too, especially with a white car because you don't have to worry about discoloration and staining...bugs the heck out of me on our white '93.  And a burgundy interior!  Terrific combo :AH-HA_wink:

Stay tuned... :AH-HA_wink:

Looking forward to it. Sent an e-mail Saturday night to the dealership, still haven't heard back from them yet.

Everything I could say could already be found on a lot of different sites, so here's some links:

Lots of very detailed info on the whole '93-96 range

'93 Stuff

'94 Stuff

'95 Stuff

'96 Stuff

And there's a few other, MUCH more detailed and specific sites that I'll PM you, just because they're other forums and I don't want to get in trouble for it.

Basically, I would just recommend a thorough test drive and inspection. There's a ton of little quirks usually seen in used ones, but they're all pretty much apparent from a good inspection and drive.

Check your PM's :AH-HA_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks caddycruiser for those links and tons of info. If you don't mind sharing some info with me, how many miles were on your caddy at the time of purchase and how much was the dealership asking for it? The one I mentioned has 95K on the odometer and they're asking $7995. It has some missing trim pieces and I'm sure there's more to investigate (I went to see the car Sunday night around 9:30 PM - so it was kinda dark). I'm not sure if this car is in good enough shape - it's a '96 which I like and it doesn't have the vinyl roof. But I'm not sure if I want to risk buying a 10 year-old car that isn't in the best of shape.

Mine was at a used car dealership who tends to get a lot of the older trade-ins from some local new car dealers, when they're too old or have too many miles for their own lot--mine came from the Chrysler dealer just down the road, apparently traded in on a 300C (my best guess).

But back to the point. This place had it listed as $4995 cash on Autotrader.com then when I found it.

It had 117k miles on it and there were no real issues, except for the kick panel under the steering wheel hanging loose on the lower side (easy fix) and two marks (a small slit and a rub/wear spot) on the driver's seat leather. Other than that, no issues.

I thought about it for almost a month after first looking at it, and apparently only 1 or 2 other guys had come to look at it in the meantime. I sent them an email offering $4500 cash, considering the few minor little things to fix, and they bit.

The general values from the net were anywhere from $5-7k, so I thought the $4500 was a good price. Of course, I just put $1500 into it for repairs (replacement of pretty much everything in and around the gas tank, new EGR & wiring harness, new driver's window rollers, transmission service, and also a tow...), so now it's "the $6k car" as we call it, but even that's still not bad.

These are great cars BUT, for whatever reason, a LOT of them have been beat to the shreds or just not that well cared for over the years (believe me, I've seen some real heaps...). That, and they don't exactly set precidents for GM quality...various interior and exterior trim pieces seem to get loose or go bad, break, etc.

Still tanklike beasts and cheap to maintain (at least compared to most other cars), but not perfect.

$7995 is decent for a relatively PRIMO '96 with 95k miles, BUT that all depends on what the real issues are. Do you remember what pieces were missing at all? Also, a lot of the price depends on the mechanical quality too.

We were lucky with our '93, since it was special ordered by an older man in Florida and then given to his son in Maryland, who was friends with the owner of the local Cadillac dealership and had "whatever it needed done every 6 months". My '95 is similar, as the exterior and interior are close to perfect (and quite a bit nicer than the '93 in some regards)--I just have no idea of the service history, and really wish I did.

Edited by caddycruiser