Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Report: Chrysler may abandon damaged Sebring nameplate

2 posts in this topic

Filed under: Convertible, Sedan, Chrysler

2010-chrysler-sebring.jpg
Chrysler Sebring replacement might not be a Sebring

Remember when Ford thought so little of its longtime best-selling "Taurus" nameplate that it spent a fortune trying to push the replacement "500" badge on customers? That lasted about as long as a "Project Runway" cycle. Well, Chrysler might be going the same route in the near future. Ward's Automotive is reporting that Chrysler is about to drop its "Sebring" nameplate to shake the stink off its replacement expected later this year.

Chrysler is about to launch nine models in the coming year that are so thoroughly upgraded they are calling them "new." The Sebring is one of those models. The butt of many jokes within the industry and a slow seller to boot, the Sebring has become a symbol of Chrysler's long, slow slide into near oblivion. It's not surprising then to hear that when the heavily revamped vehicle appears at the end of 2010, it's not likely to wear the "Sebring" name.

We don't think the name had much to do with Sebring's failure, but we understand the desire to convince buyers that the replacement is a fresh start for this mid-size sedan, if not for Chrysler as a whole. A thoroughly reworked Sebring, however, might not be enough to capture new buyers if the name association is still so unpalatable. Maybe they should call it the Camry.

[source: Ward's Automotive]

Report: Chrysler may abandon damaged Sebring nameplate originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=l4FGXvhiGrk:WOE3xWC8QCM:wF9xT autoblog?i=l4FGXvhiGrk:WOE3xWC8QCM:V_sGL
l4FGXvhiGrk

View the full article

I like the Sebring name, but I can see the logic behind this. Still if you build a really good car people will put the way it looks feels and drives over the name its predecessor had.