Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: GM to shell out $1B to update Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra

34 posts in this topic

Report: GM to shell out $1B to update Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra

While the current economic forecast includes much wailing and gnashing of teeth, it will eventually turn around. When it does, truck sales are likely to increase as truck-dependent industries look to replace their wares. General Motors wants to be right there on the tip of the spear with the most recently updated product. To that end, GM Chairman and CEO Ed Whitacre has given a McMahon-sized YES to redesigning the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks. The effort is likely to ring up a $1 billion price tag.

While the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra aren't exactly old (they were thoroughly redone in 2006), Ford and Dodge have revised their trucks in the ensuing time. While domestic rivals are the biggest competition for the Sierra and Silverado, Toyota's latest Tundra debuted in 2007, intent on mounting a serious challenge, as well. Only the Nissan Titan, enjoying a precipitous drop in sales lately, is longer in tooth. Things happen fast in truck-land. Full-size SUV sales are down and not likely to bounce back strongly, and new fuel economy provisos are coming on strong, too, but the need for working vehicles has merely waned, and General Motors is anticipating that a turnaround in industries like housing will spike truck sales. This proactive funding of a redesign will put GM's new wares in showrooms for 2012-2013.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/14/report-gm-to-shell-out-1b-to-update-chevrolet-silverado-and-gm/

Good, they better plan and get a refresh done. While their at it, give us our small block Duramax Diesel we have been wanting for the last 20 years.

And bring back barn doors, and why not a 2dr version of the Tahoe (call it Blazer) w/ barn doors? :)

And bring back barn doors, and why not a 2dr version of the Tahoe (call it Blazer) w/ barn doors? :)

Totally +1 :D

I like both of those ideas quite a bit!

On the truck side, I've had at least one example of every generation from the '67-72s to the 800s, and I won't be too upset if I miss out on the 900s. I like the Suburbam and Avalanche quite a bit, but the trucks didn't thrill me.

Why not just build the Silverado on Epsilon II and give it a V6? Seems to be good enough for the top end Cadillac.

if they dont fix the rear suspension so the tahoe and suburban so adults can sit back there, then they needn't waste the time.

if they dont fix the rear suspension so the tahoe and suburban so adults can sit back there, then they needn't waste the time.

At a truck fair in Texas last year, I talked to one of the GMT 900 engineers who acknowledged the fact and said that GM will rectify it.

Coming from field of construction, I am all for the idea of improvement of pickup trucks as we NEED them. I just wish they bring back the baby Du-Di.

i am not a truck guy, but here is what i would want if someone would make it for me.

Ford possibly may be doing this now that they are putting the 3.7l v6 in the F-150.

I want a decent, basic fuel efficient mid size or large truck (sorry, the Colorado does not cut it in size, its not big enough) just a simple standard cab with some leg room, a bench seat with wide armrest, nice cloth, no carpet. I want A/C and power windows locks and mirrors. Then i want a v6 or large 4, 6 speed manual trans. probably 4 wheel drive. I would probably be ok with a short box but a long box would indeed make more sense. I'd like a nice radio and a good in town and highway ride. I'd want a hitch. I'd want 22-25mpg on the highway in 6th gear.

A simple truck in white, not a compact, good ride and suspension, basic but comfortable cab. low price and good resale. that might get me into a truck again some day.

i guess that's not entirely pertinent here. GM's basic truck with a 4.8 is nice. It's hard to find a base GM pickup with 4wd and stick, do they even make it?

I guess what i meant more is GM needs to really make their tahoe and suburban a lot more space efficient in the back.

Hey everyone

Haven't posted on this site in a while.

I just saw a commercial during the Saints/Cardinals game for the Tundra and they were bragging about how it has the most North American content of any fulls size truck out there (80%). So naturally it spiked my curiosity about what the actual domestic / foreign content of certain vehicles actually was (you can check it out on the NHTSA site).

What's interesting is the current generation Silverado/Sierra started off higher in terms of domestic content a few years back (90% in 2007), and has steadily been decreasing throughout the last few years (the 2010 is now 65%).

I was real surprised to see the F-Series go down to 55% for 2010 MY.

Any ideas why? (cost being obvious one of course) And whether the decreasing trend for the Big 3 is going to continue for full size trucks.

Interestingly, the Ram has the most NA content of the Big 3 trucks

regfootball ~ >>"I want a... large truck... standard cab... A/C... a large 4, 6 speed manual trans. probably 4 wheel drive... long box ... a hitch. I'd want 22-25mpg on the highway in 6th gear."<<

Full size, long bed, 4WD, towing..... and a "large 4" ??? Hm-mmm....

-- -- -- -- --

tundra could have 102% American content, but when 20% of that content is lying on the road inside of a few years, does that really make any difference ?? It's a desparate ploy on the part ot toyoyo to keep the tundra from becoming 100% irrelevant, by playing the 'patriotic card'. FAIL.

Edited by balthazar

regfootball ~ >>"I want a... large truck... standard cab... A/C... a large 4, 6 speed manual trans. probably 4 wheel drive... long box ... a hitch. I'd want 22-25mpg on the highway in 6th gear."<<

Full size, long bed, 4WD, towing..... and a "large 4" ??? Hm-mmm....

-- -- -- -- --

tundra could have 102% American content, but when 20% of that content is lying on the road inside of a few years, does that really make any difference ?? It's a desparate ploy on the part ot toyoyo to keep the tundra from becoming 100% irrelevant, by playing the 'patriotic card'. FAIL.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buy a Toyota truck unless they were discounting the price 50% - and even then I still would have trouble doing it. But I was just kind of curious about why there has been a pretty significant drop in the NA content of the Big 3 trucks in the last couple of years. I understand that GM/Ford/Chrysler still contribute more to the US economy than the Big Japanese companies, but it still kind of sucks that they aren't using as many N/A parts as they used to in their trucks.

Also, I was kind of curious about which plant my 2008 Vue's engine/transmission was built in (3.6L). Tonawanda perhaps?

I see little being done with the SUV's tight now. Sales are down and most do not see a rebound anytime soon since there is so many more vehicles these people are buying in the Cross over market.

Now on the other hand if and when the economy grows so will the need for trucks.

I expect much will be done to increase the MPG so look for weights to drop in the 1/2 and 3/4 ton markets. Also I expect to see GM do some new things with engines. With Ford looking to go V6 Turbo as an option in the 1/2 ton F150 in 2012 I would not be suprised if GM joins them in this risk. The engine could also be used in many other cars to pick up the slack. But a VVT Turbo DI V6 can now do what is reqired to be used in a truck with a very flat torque curve. In fact the Turbo V6 would out perform most of the V8's form the 70-1990 with ease and almost double the performance. Durability with the new engines is also a non factor as they are built in ways we could only have dreamed of in the past. These are ver tough engines. I see them being sent in as an option to a DI V8 for the people who just demand 8 cylinder. In time the V8 will be cut back in the light trucks.

I just wonder what GM has planned for the Canyon? IF they can't replace what they have now with a new platform I would be fine with a El Camaino. The S10 Killed it to begine with and turn about is fair play.

Toyota failed just like all the Harley want a bees from Japan. While they may have been good bikes they were not Harleys. The same for the full size truck. Most import guys like the small trucks. Toyota not only had a hard sell in a very loyal market but the gas and economy killed what little chance they did have.

Edited by hyperv6

I liked it better when a truck designed in 1973 was still fine for the public in 1991.

i am not a truck guy, but here is what i would want if someone would make it for me.

Ford possibly may be doing this now that they are putting the 3.7l v6 in the F-150.

I want a decent, basic fuel efficient mid size or large truck (sorry, the Colorado does not cut it in size, its not big enough) just a simple standard cab with some leg room, a bench seat with wide armrest, nice cloth, no carpet. I want A/C and power windows locks and mirrors. Then i want a v6 or large 4, 6 speed manual trans. probably 4 wheel drive. I would probably be ok with a short box but a long box would indeed make more sense. I'd like a nice radio and a good in town and highway ride. I'd want a hitch. I'd want 22-25mpg on the highway in 6th gear.

A simple truck in white, not a compact, good ride and suspension, basic but comfortable cab. low price and good resale. that might get me into a truck again some day.

i guess that's not entirely pertinent here. GM's basic truck with a 4.8 is nice. It's hard to find a base GM pickup with 4wd and stick, do they even make it?

I guess what i meant more is GM needs to really make their tahoe and suburban a lot more space efficient in the back.

Chevy already makes a regular cab work truck with a 4.3 L V6. It has the 4 speed automatic and not quite the mpg requested. With a 6 speed it would be very close. I say this because my silverado which was totaled was a crew cab with the 4.8 L V8 4 speed automatic and I exceeded 20 up to 22 mpg (highway).

http://www.chevrolet.com/vehicles/2010/silverado1500/features.do?styleIds=318677^318678&tab=tabHighlights

They need to get a better small truck or get killed in the "new"truck market.

Even bigger trucks will decline sooner or later....

Chevy already makes a regular cab work truck with a 4.3 L V6. It has the 4 speed automatic and not quite the mpg requested. With a 6 speed it would be very close. I say this because my silverado which was totaled was a crew cab with the 4.8 L V8 4 speed automatic and I exceeded 20 up to 22 mpg (highway).

http://www.chevrolet.com/vehicles/2010/silverado1500/features.do?styleIds=318677^318678&tab=tabHighlights

yes but what was its epa rating.......i need that epa rating to crack 22 for 4wd

Edited by regfootball

yes but what was its epa rating.......i need that epa rating to crack 22 for 4wd

That is the major thing you mentioned and no full sized truck achieves 22 mpg. Chevy is the closest of making it with the XFE or the 2 mode hybrid. Both which are only the crew cab 2wd models the last I read. All other makes are worse and the 4wd drops it a bit more. I think it would make it with the baby Duramax that was canceled before being released.

That is the major thing you mentioned and no full sized truck achieves 22 mpg. Chevy is the closest of making it with the XFE or the 2 mode hybrid. Both which are only the crew cab 2wd models the last I read. All other makes are worse and the 4wd drops it a bit more. I think it would make it with the baby Duramax that was canceled before being released.

that's why i am saying i want a mid size truck to get better mpg. a ranger is too small. a f-150 or silverado is too big. the dakota was or t100 was just about right. a standard cab 4wd 4 cylinder should be able to get 22 mpg highway with a 6 speed manual.

that's why i am saying i want a mid size truck to get better mpg. a ranger is too small. a f-150 or silverado is too big. the dakota was or t100 was just about right. a standard cab 4wd 4 cylinder should be able to get 22 mpg highway with a 6 speed manual.

Ford shelved their F100 effort, IIRC..it was going to be about Dakota-sized, IIRC. Would have been nice.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

How/why is a short bed Silverado "too big" ?? Too big for what?

What is the rating for the 5.3L - I talked to one guy with a Sierra 5.3, he claimed he was getting 25 on strict highway trips, and I've seen a buddy's 5.3 turn 24 on steady throttle on the highway.

Even a 4 MPG difference on average, over 12,000 miles/yr is only a $360 difference annually. If $360 was that significant, I'd be buying used only. It certainly would not push me into a less desirable truck.

Agrees, mid-size trucks tend to be as thirsty as full-sizers, but lack the interior room and payload ability. If a company is going to have 2 pickups in the lineup, a true full-sizer and a true compact (think Ranger, but more modern) would satisfy 99.9% of the market. The other 0.01% is regfootball.

Even when I tried to hypermile my '07 Sierra, I was getting 14-15 in town and maybe 20 on the highway. That was a 2WD shortbed regular cab 5.3L automatic with 3.73 posi. My '04 Colorado Z71 4X4 extended cab 3.5L manual with 3.73 posi turned 19 in town and 22-23 highway.

And when you're parking in a crowded parking lot or putting it in a garage, yes, a fullsize shortbed regular cab seems big compared to the Colorado I had. I was always worried about my mirrors and roof when I garaged my Sierra, never with the Colorado, lifted Z71 and all.

Edited by ocnblu

Exactly. Even though the mileage really isn't all that different between the GMT355s and GMT900s, I don't think I could deal with the larger package on a day to day basis. Call it personal preference, but for me it's a lot of truck to park, merge intro traffic, and keep clean. A well-done compact/midsized truck can handle the Home Depot runs and occasional towing exercise.

Gotta bring the Cobalt in for service tomorrow. While I'm there I'm going to check out two red 2WD/3.7L/3.73/G80 regular cab Colorados on the lot.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0