Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: GM's Mark Reuss ponders return of VE Commodore to U.S.

17 posts in this topic

Report: GM's Mark Reuss ponders return of VE Commodore to U.S.

As if General Motors hasn't endured enough turmoil in the last year, Pickuptrucks.com is reporting that GM North America president Mark Reuss is championing the idea of a stateside Holden VE Ute. Pardon us for thinking this issue was dead and buried in 2009, interred in the graveyard of stillborn ideas. Reuss, who ran Holden for GM during the VE's development, has a soft spot for the admittedly excellent platform that we only shortly knew as the Pontiac G8. While that dalliance was only marginally longer lived than Jay Leno's move to prime time (the promised G8 Sport Truck was announced and then canceled before birth), Reuss thinks that GMC or Chevrolet could proudly park the Ute in U.S. showrooms.

Rather than let all the hard work done to bring the G8 to fruition go to waste, Reuss is also reportedly looking for a slot for that car, as well. If GM can get the Ute classed as a truck in North America, it might play a significant role in Corporate Average Fuel Economy ratings, and that may be enough reason alone to offer a neo-El Camino. A revised G8 popping up under another GM moniker would be welcomed by the auto punditry, though may still fail to move enough units to make an impact. There's no denying that niche vehicles such as the Ute and G8 have a following, but we wonder how much focus these efforts are stealing from the pivotal vehicles that must launch and continue to sell without a hitch. As exciting as a Ute might be, a flawless and successfully marketed launch of the new Chevrolet Aveo is likely far more important to GM's financial health at this point than some hoon sled.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/15/report-gms-mark-reuss-ponders-return-of-ve-commodore-to-u-s/

All good news now I just want to see them on the dealers lot! I would love to see the new Chevy "SS" when I go to the Chicago Autoshow, that would be a real treat.

Edited by gm4life

I would have thought this thread would get a lot of traffic.......

I think it's because we've heard it all, and until these vehicles make it onto dealer lots, most of us will just plant our face into one of our palms, rolling our eyes.

I think it's because we've heard it all, and until these vehicles make it onto dealer lots, most of us will just plant our face into one of our palms, rolling our eyes.

I hope GM does bring a variant of the G8 GT back as a chevy SS..

Great vehicle and hopefully selling the camaro in Austrialia will take care of the issue of currency flucuation.. making the return of a variant of the G8 GT profitable for general motors.

thanks for the heads up.

You nailed it, that is exactly why. Once we see a pre-production model is shown or show car is shown the interest will come back. Hell even if we can get it confirmed it will turn into a dog and pony show around here over this car. I think it is funny we always want what we can't have... :hissyfit: Still I have hope this will work out.

Edited by gm4life

The first thing most of us predicted this is something that could and may happen when Pontiac Died. So no suprise here. I even said in August the El Camino may have a good chance if they do the Police package. It would have a way to come in limited numbers with the Police package.

Second we have seen this several times before. only to see if stopped.

Third with Reuss and Lutz pushing this it has a good chance since it was combined with the police package we already know is coming.

Finally I don't think anyone here will sell their soul on this one till they hit the ports in California. With Goverment and Economy as unstable in direction as it is now anything could happen outside GM that could stop this again.

Once they start rolling down the line and the ship are docking here I think then the excitment will build.

I just suspect these cars will not be cheap and many will be upset that they will be limited and priced over $30K. I just don't see any cheap V6 models for right now with the 4 door Vette talk.

GM News = junk data over XTS; junk data over fabled "Zeta cars and trucks." Booorrrrrriiiinnnnnnngggggggggggg-uhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It's been 2006 on repeat for the last 4 years.

The first thing most of us predicted this is something that could and may happen when Pontiac Died. So no suprise here. I even said in August the El Camino may have a good chance if they do the Police package. It would have a way to come in limited numbers with the Police package.

Second we have seen this several times before. only to see if stopped.

Third with Reuss and Lutz pushing this it has a good chance since it was combined with the police package we already know is coming.

Finally I don't think anyone here will sell their soul on this one till they hit the ports in California. With Goverment and Economy as unstable in direction as it is now anything could happen outside GM that could stop this again.

Once they start rolling down the line and the ship are docking here I think then the excitment will build.

I just suspect these cars will not be cheap and many will be upset that they will be limited and priced over $30K. I just don't see any cheap V6 models for right now with the 4 door Vette talk.

I think you're right, it's going to be expensive.

I wonder if this Zeta Ute would do well as a GMC model? I'm thinking with styling similar to the new Terrain (and Sierra for that matter) - kind of boxy and aggressive looking.

GM News = junk data over XTS; junk data over fabled "Zeta cars and trucks." Booorrrrrriiiinnnnnnngggggggggggg-uhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It's been 2006 on repeat for the last 4 years.

I wished they talked less and delivered more real world product, but they need to fight a PR battle too... So we will have to put up with the "NG of products will blow away everyone" talk again, and hope that this time around, with less financial constraints, it is for real.

I wished they talked less and delivered more real world product, but they need to fight a PR battle too... So we will have to put up with the "NG of products will blow away everyone" talk again, and hope that this time around, with less financial constraints, it is for real.

There is always going to be talk. Leaks out of GM planned or not planned are often addressed. The key now is there is less time between the talk and the intro. It has improved but it needs to still be trimmed.

right now GM just wants to make sure people know they are alive and well working on many new cars for the remaining divisions and not like AMC or Packard just riding their time out. Even AMC tried to throw some splash at the end but it often was with Renault and Chrysler products at Eagle. At least GM is doing it with their own new products or in this case a up dated older Holden/Pontiac... Many her wanted to know what GM was going to do to retain Pontiav buyer. Well they are going to give them back the only Pontiac that really mattered at the end.

Edited by hyperv6

I think you're right, it's going to be expensive.

I wonder if this Zeta Ute would do well as a GMC model? I'm thinking with styling similar to the new Terrain (and Sierra for that matter) - kind of boxy and aggressive looking.

They already showed a Zeta based 4dr GMC ute concept. It went nowhere.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Really?

I would think you'd find little surprise that I am witholding faith at this point.

I do, however, have hope...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0