Vintage Promo 1/25 scale Pontiac Buick Dealership Sign

See attached picture.

eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Promo-1-25-scale-Pontiac-Buick-Dealership-Sign_W0QQitemZ110480581330QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b927e2d2

Very cool and would be a nice addition to my curio display, but it's already priced way out of my range. Back in 1990 I attempted to buy a chevrolet dealership sign like this from ick Kranz promo's and he stated his were from the '70s or early '80s - he sold the last one before my check arrived (oh boy, the days of bying before eBay, Paypal, etc). This Buick-Pontiac sign is the first I've seen outside of the Chevy one 20 years ago.

Nowto find a GMC one!!

post-418-1263688330852.jpg

ANyone know when this style of dealer sign came out ? Late '70s... or later ?

Based on the Pontiac font I'd say it was from before the EXCITEMENT!!!! era

1969 is the answer you're looking for. How do I know this? Look below:

In September, 1969, General Motors implemented a plan of standardizing the look of GM dealerships. The "Signs Of Leadership" are shown here. In fact the signs you are viewing are 1:25th scale models that were made and distributed around this time. They were often seen on salesmen's' desks. Today they go great with scale model dioramas and promo car collections but aren't easily found.

70MgmSN.jpg

Link to site with info

I've been very intrigued by this eBay find, seeing as how this is the first time in literally 20 years since I encountered my first one of these (a Chevy one at that). I did an internet search and the information above is what was posted on a web site. Maybe I better ask the wife for my 2010 birthday money now :lol:

These might turn up at the big national level model car swap meets/shows, like the NNL East in Parsippany, NJ in the Spring, the Toledo NNL/Toledo Collectors Toy Fair in Toledo, Ohio in the Fall, or the NNL West in San Jose in the winter. Anything and everything 1:24/1:25th scale as far as plastic models, promo models, etc turns up at these events...I've been to the Toledo one several times when I lived in Ohio/Michigan, and to the San Jose one a few times.

I think about the only time I've seen these before was in a black & white pictured article in Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine over 20 years ago.

• 11 months later...

Nice signs, and if I was wealthy, I would bid on them (and please don't ask me to make you an offer, because you surely would be insulted at what I could afford :P ).

The Terex sign is a new one to me, in that I never heard of GM and Terex together (being a truck & tractor enthusiast, I am aware of the Terex brand but never gave it any effort to research the history of the company). Thanks to wikipedia, I now understand what happened to Euclid and know about Terex. And while at first I could care less about the Terex sign, now all of a sudden I want that too (I'm dying to find a GMC Truck dealership sign, you wouldn;t have one of those on the affordable side, would ya?) :lol:

Nice signs, and if I was wealthy, I would bid on them (and please don't ask me to make you an offer, because you surely would be insulted at what I could afford :P ).

The Terex sign is a new one to me, in that I never heard of GM and Terex together (being a truck & tractor enthusiast, I am aware of the Terex brand but never gave it any effort to research the history of the company). Thanks to wikipedia, I now understand what happened to Euclid and know about Terex. And while at first I could care less about the Terex sign, now all of a sudden I want that too (I'm dying to find a GMC Truck dealership sign, you wouldn;t have one of those on the affordable side, would ya?) :lol:

I remember Euclid and Terex from when I lived in NE Ohio in the late '80s-early '90s..drove by the plant in Hudson many times. Those miniature dealership signs are pretty cool.

Sorry, I don't have a GMC sign, but glad that you guys like the signs! I threw a price on them for ebay just to post it and see what kind of attention they would get. Kind of show them off and get some excitement. I will probably run a standard auction soon and let the market dictate their value. This way every enthusiast that may want to own them can be involved. Will probably sell them separate too.

Sorry, I don't have a GMC sign, but glad that you guys like the signs! I threw a price on them for ebay just to post it and see what kind of attention they would get. Kind of show them off and get some excitement. I will probably run a standard auction soon and let the market dictate their value. This way every enthusiast that may want to own them can be involved. Will probably sell them separate too.

Cool! Definitely make a post in here when you do that, maybe I'll see what I can do to purchase the Pontiac and/or Terex signs, depending on how quickly I get out-bid!! I'd love to have all three honestly, and find all the others, but funds are very limited right now and these guilty pleasure items just don't take top spot (especially in the wife's eyes :P ).

Cool! Definitely make a post in here when you do that, maybe I'll see what I can do to purchase the Pontiac and/or Terex signs, depending on how quickly I get out-bid!! I'd love to have all three honestly, and find all the others, but funds are very limited right now and these guilty pleasure items just don't take top spot (especially in the wife's eyes :P ).

Here ya go guys, running a straight auction starting at .99 for each of the 3 signs! Will be interesting to see what happens with these.

post-11167-0-59385000-1296188414.jpgpost-11167-0-37987300-1296188396.jpgpost-11167-0-49430200-1296188382.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330524224695#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330524225843#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330524220688#ht_500wt_1156

I know that I am! :)

IMG_20110205_110243.jpg

IMG_20110205_110221.jpg

These signs are much bigger/taller than I was expecting. They won't fit into my curio cabinet with the rest of my diecast collection, so I had to put them in my wife's taller curio in the dining room for now (she's not thrilled!).

Now to find GMC Trucks, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Buick/Opel, and Chevrolet. Well, once I find more money!! :lol:

Yes the auctions for the signs went well. I am glad that they will be appreciated in your collection! Sorry they are a little too tall for your display cabinet. I had noticed when passing my local GMC Buick and Chevrolet dealership that the base of the sign is shaped exactly like the Gray painted solid brass base of the Terex sign. Still the standard all these years later. What scale die cast cars do you collect? I collect the 1:18 scale GMP, Exoto and Lane. I enjoy and appreciate the detail and quality of those models, my absolute favorite are the 67 or 68 Pontiac Firebirds.

So, are you happy with the outcome of the auctions?

LOL, I'm glad you got the Pontiac sign, GMTG. Had I been in better shape financially, I would have bid that into the stratosphere.

Once I'm back on more solid ground, I may have to make you some outrageous offers on it later. ;-) I have quite a few 1/24 and 1/25 scale Pontiacs that need a dealership sign to park at. ;-)

Automobiaman, you had some other interesting auctions going on. Those Camaro promos where pretty interesting... I was surprised the Geo ones didn't even get a single bid... they will be hard to find one day (like the '60s fullsize Pontiac promos are today).

Do you sell a lot of promos? You should probably let us know when you do. Also, I'd take photos of at least one promo, as I was very curious what level of detail they would be at.

Yes I have many more promo cars and trucks to sell. All GM and all from 80's and 90's. Just trying to thin out the collection, make it a bit leaner and focus on die cast and less plastic. Sorry, I didn't show any pics of the actual un-boxed cars but I figured just about anybody interested in them would know what they were. I have a nice collection of corvette promos I am going to put up for auction soon. Wish those Geo's would have got some kind of interest, but the market just isn't there I guess. Stay tuned!

LOL, I'm glad you got the Pontiac sign, GMTG. Had I been in better shape financially, I would have bid that into the stratosphere.

Once I'm back on more solid ground, I may have to make you some outrageous offers on it later. ;-) I have quite a few 1/24 and 1/25 scale Pontiacs that need a dealership sign to park at. ;-)

Automobiaman, you had some other interesting auctions going on. Those Camaro promos where pretty interesting... I was surprised the Geo ones didn't even get a single bid... they will be hard to find one day (like the '60s fullsize Pontiac promos are today).

Do you sell a lot of promos? You should probably let us know when you do. Also, I'd take photos of at least one promo, as I was very curious what level of detail they would be at.

Yes I have many more promo cars and trucks to sell. All GM and all from 80's and 90's. Just trying to thin out the collection, make it a bit leaner and focus on die cast and less plastic. Sorry, I didn't show any pics of the actual un-boxed cars but I figured just about anybody interested in them would know what they were. I have a nice collection of corvette promos I am going to put up for auction soon. Wish those Geo's would have got some kind of interest, but the market just isn't there I guess. Stay tuned!

Well, I roughly know what to expect with promos, but I don't generally look at the promos for the newer cars, so I wasn't sure if the hoods opened or if the details were crisp.

You wouldn't happen to have a '90s Caprice wagon or a late '90s Bonneville, would you? ;-) Maybe a '81 Bonneville coupe?

Again, had my economy been better, I would have bought both of your lots... I'm not that into Geo Storms, but I like oddball stuff.

Well, I roughly know what to expect with promos, but I don't generally look at the promos for the newer cars, so I wasn't sure if the hoods opened or if the details were crisp.

You wouldn't happen to have a '90s Caprice wagon or a late '90s Bonneville, would you? ;-) Maybe a '81 Bonneville coupe?

Nothing like those were ever made in kit or promo form. The Modelhaus makes a resin '90s Caprice wagon transkit that works w/ the Revell 1:25th scale Caprice police car snap kit. They also make a sweet Roadmaster wagon resin transkit as well.

Promos normally don't have opening hoods or engine detail, most are curbsides. Since the '80s, the selection of promos has been very thin---MPC in the '80 ('78-80 Monte Carlo, El Caminos), AMT in the late '80s-'90s (Silverados, F-series, Rangers, Explorers) but by and large, over the last 30 years most 1:25th scale promos have been Corvettes and Camaros, with the occasional variations like Berettas, Geo Storms, '89 Taurus SHO, Olds Intrigue, Olds Aurora (from Brookfield Collectors Guild), etc.

Nothing like those were ever made in kit or promo form. The Modelhaus makes a resin '90s Caprice wagon transkit that works w/ the Revell 1:25th scale Caprice police car snap kit. They also make a sweet Roadmaster wagon resin transkit as well.

Yeah, I knew about those... but that gets too pricy... and I get too carried away with detail on models I build myself. When I was looking at hundreds of dollars to build a fully detailed, lit, customized model, I figured I was better off working at 1:1.

Promos normally don't have opening hoods or engine detail, most are curbsides. Since the '80s, the selection of promos has been very thin---MPC in the '80 ('78-80 Monte Carlo, El Caminos), AMT in the late '80s-'90s (Silverados, F-series, Rangers, Explorers) but by and large, over the last 30 years most 1:25th scale promos have been Corvettes and Camaros, with the occasional variations like Berettas, Geo Storms, '89 Taurus SHO, Olds Intrigue, Olds Aurora (from Brookfield Collectors Guild), etc.

I didn't know MPC/AMT made the promos, as most of their normal kits are not curbsides. I got my hopes up when I found out that they made Geo promos. I thought there may be a few oddballs out there that didn't require building.

Lack of affordable model choice is what drove me out of the hobby. Granted, there is a lot of model choice out there if you look (and spend), but its gotten to the point where many of the kits are worth too much unbuilt to make one actually want to put it together.

I didn't know MPC/AMT made the promos, as most of their normal kits are not curbsides. I got my hopes up when I found out that they made Geo promos. I thought there may be a few oddballs out there that didn't require building.

Most promos since the '97 Corvette have been from Revell, though AMT has done a couple recently ('08/09 Challenger and Corvette).

Back in the '60s-70s, AMT, MPC, and Johan would make promos then make regular glue kits that were derived from them but with engine detail..most of the annual car kits in the 'annuals' era ('58-late '70s) were this way, though some annuals didn't have promo equivalents (like the AMT '67-68 Cougars). Sometimes promos were offered in unassembled kit form also (The AMT Craftsman and Jr Craftsman kits). Occasionally, they did promos but didn't do a kit version---like the '61 Impala 4dr ht, '65 Bonneville convertible, and more recently, the Geo Storm and Olds Intrigue from AMT.

Yes the auctions for the signs went well. I am glad that they will be appreciated in your collection! Sorry they are a little too tall for your display cabinet. I had noticed when passing my local GMC Buick and Chevrolet dealership that the base of the sign is shaped exactly like the Gray painted solid brass base of the Terex sign. Still the standard all these years later. What scale die cast cars do you collect? I collect the 1:18 scale GMP, Exoto and Lane. I enjoy and appreciate the detail and quality of those models, my absolute favorite are the 67 or 68 Pontiac Firebirds.

Oh, they are definitely appreciated! 21 years ago I tried to buy a Chrevrolet dealership sign from Rick Kranz, a popular Promo dealer in Michigan, but my check arrived late and it sold to someone else. I always looked for these at larger car shows and toy shows, but never found any. I'm still surprised that I got these two! I did bid on the Buick/Opel sign, but there was no way I could afford all three. I noticed that too about the Terex's brass painted base - too bad they all didn't come that way. Do you know if there are other ones like the Terex, besides the normal GM ones? GMC Trucks is my next priority, if I'm lucky :P I've got mostly trucks in my collection, in various sizes (1/87, 1/25, 1/34, 1/50, 1/18) - First Gear predominately, but also Franklin Mint, Danbury Mint, Norscott & ERTL for my tractors (Caterpillar & John Deere, need some Terex's now ;) ). I've got only one of the Lane - the '72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - that is still NIB, and want one of those '68 Firebirds.

Thanks SAmadei, I think :blink: I only have a few Pontiacs on display, but Pontiac is in my blood, so it depends on how outrageous you get :lol: It reminds me of the Pontiac dealership sign in the town I grew up in (Ewing, NJ Mercer County, Cathcart Pontiac). I'm glad I had my birthday recently, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to buy any of them.

I considered the GEOs, because my wife's first car was a '91 GEO Storm in yellow. But I don't need the other ones, and put my money towards the two signs instead.

LOVE those signs, GMT ... now, if I could only find a Chevy one for my collection.....

Promos normally don't have opening hoods or engine detail, most are curbsides. Since the '80s, the selection of promos has been very thin---MPC in the '80 ('78-80 Monte Carlo, El Caminos),

Here is one of my 2 promo models, a brown 1979 MC

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/collection/cortmod03_jpg.html'>http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/collection/cortmod03_jpg.html

A friend painted the chrome and a few other highlights for me.

I also have a maroon 1980 MC promo model.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_04.16.11_Dwight.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My ticker's ticking like they say it should" __ Montgomery Gentry __ 'Lucky Man'

• 1 year later...

So, finally found eBay auctions for two more of these signs:

Buick

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181005768163?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

$T2eC16V,!ygE9s7HI7KkBQh02wjPiw~~60_57.JPG

Current price: $300.00 :o

Chevrolet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181005760823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

$T2eC16V,!)!E9s2fB+D7BQh0hZ8L2w~~60_57.JPG

Current price: $104.50 (Note: Reserve Not Met)

I'd pass on the Buick sign (not that $300 is available to me), but I want that Chevy sign. I'm sure that it will soon exceed the current price - which sadly is already out of my range.

When a GMC Truck sign makes an appearance, I will have to find the means to make that possible :smilewide:

What part of Ewing? I was near Moody Park, closer to Deli Delite. My parent's '83 GP LJ was from Cathcart; my sister almost bought a '89 Formula but they wouldn't meet her (or my dad's) price on the car and trade-in (she bought a Ford instead).

Cathcart Pontiac, Coleman Oldsmobile, Colonial Cadillac, Coleman Buick-GMC, Ed Cahill Chevrolet Geo... you wonder why I'm such a big GM fan!! All of these dealers were within a mile of each other and I visited them a lot once I was old enough to bike to them.

(Coleman Oldsmobile - still there, but not GM anymore since Olds closed in 2002; Cathcart Pontiac closed in 1996 and Coleman Buick-GMC bought the franchise; Coleman Buick-GMC-Pontiac moved to Route 1 in Lawrenceville in 2002 (near Quakerbridge Mall/Bakers Basin DMV); Colonial Cadillac lost the franchise about two years ago and Coleman Buick-GMC now has it; Ed Cahill Chevrolet sold to various other dealers in the late '90s and eventually moved to Route 1 with Coleman B-G-Cad in an "Auto Complex" - called Superior Chevrolet now (last was Princeton Chevrolet). No more GM in Ewing....

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Close: I lived in the neighborhood by Ewingville & Federal City Rds.

Dad's next new car after the '77 was an '89 LeSabre, not sure where he bought that one from tho.

I rode around the whole area- I knew all those dealerships, too. I was big into Cadillac, visited Colonial numerous times. Later on, as I got closer to car-ownership age and learned how expensive it was to restore a Cadillac in general, I ducked into the Pontiac camp, tho my family has long roots in Pontiacs, back to '55. Ewing has of course become much more of a bedroom community, dealerships in the last decade or 2 have been gravitating to major thoroughfares.

I worked for Coleman B-P-G from February '99 to July '00. That was owned by Dick Coleman, and his cousins Bruce & Gary Coleman owned the Oldsmobile/Jeep dealership. They were just starting to build the new GM Auto Mall on Route 1 when I left. Colonial Cadillac was owned by Jeff Feldman and he was a shady guy. GM tried for years to buy back the franchise but he fought them (even in court!). The original plan for the GM Auto Mall was B-P-G and Chevy on Route 1 front property, Cadillac/Hummer in the back with Saturn squeezed in there. Bob Maguire (Chevrolet & Saturn dealership owner in Bordentown) had the Saturn franchise for Lawrenceville but refused to be put in the back. He pulled Saturn out of the Auto Mall; Feldman refused to have Cadillac in the back too and refused to move his Caddy dealership there. Coleman B-P-G went ahead and the former Ed Cahill Chevy dealer (forget their last name) moved to the Auto Mall and was now called Princeton Chevrolet (that's where I got my '04 Malibu at in Nov '03). Soon after "Princeton" was changed to "Superior" Chevrolet. SInce the back parcel was not being built for a GM brand, and Coleman B-P-G also had a Suzuki dealership, they were offered the lot and a Suzuki dealer was added. A couple of years later Suzuki was dumped and it was a used car showroom; somehow, Feldman parted with Cadillac (GM finally won!) and Coleman B-G was offered the franchise. The former Suzuki dealership is now a Cadillac dealer. Hummer never materialized beyond the "on paper" stage, and Saturn was to open nearby Greenfield Dodge/Isuszu on Business Route 1 (but the ground was never broken). So the GM Auto Mall in Lawrenceville has all of GM's current brands in one place - Buick, GMC, Cadillac on one side, Chevrolet on the other.

Wow.. $338XX for the Buick sign, $228xx for the Chevy. I'd hate to part with my Pontiac sign, but at least I know it's worth a couple hundred bucks if I can find the right buyer. Maybe I'll consider selling the Terex one if I need some cash, though I'd like to hold onto it (and not sure there are Terex fans out there like with the Buick crowd). Does not give me hope for finding an affordable GMC Trucks sign.

• 2 months later...

So on a whim I decide to visit eBay yesterday, type "GMC" in the toys catergory, scroll down a bit and find this:

$T2eC16VHJGQE9noM,LBzBQ7z9CPCcw~~60_57.J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-TRUCK-SIGN-MADE-OF-PLASTIC-PROMO-12-HIGH-/160953804718?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item25799827ae

It was super cheap at the time, though it had some bids ($25-ish bucks). I bid and a little while later the bid went up; I counter-bidded and on and on... I'm getting my ass handed to me by another GMC fan :lol: I don't have much more cash on hand for this, so I will more than likely be losing out. Can't say I've seen a GMC Trucks sign on eBay before this auction.

Well, I won the auction!! I decided that I couldn't pass this up, as it's the one sign I really wanted for my collection and I've never seen any others on eBay in the years I've been searching these out. The money I received for my birthday & Christmas, along with money I had put aside to upgrade my 3-year old Motorola Driod phone, have found a new purpose.

I want to keep my Terex sign (posted above), but I may part with it on eBay for the right amount to help off-set the costs of the GMC sign and get me back on track for replacing my outdated cell phone :lol: