I need a storage garage in SE PA...hmm...for...

...a new car and some odds & ends for it. Gosh I'm good at having all new plans when I haven't even figured out the current :AH-HA:

Not locked in stone yet, but from a few cryptic notes I've made, my G8 that's seeing more and more miles soon will have a friend if all clicks through. Can't say what yet, but familiar. And, well, essentially new.

"It" currently lives in Bethlehem, PA with a retired guy I met over the summer up there & all my travels. To that extent, and because this was spurred by a deal of the millennium I never expected & had to jump on, planning still to move to the Philly/NE area as soon as possible, and just not having room, etc. where I live now--I want to keep it in PA and figure it out from there. Between the car and some big parts to go with, it makes everything that much easier too.

Beyond Craigslist (been browsing) for a private or other garage/warehouse space I can trust, or one of the typical "centers" of nothing but garage doors & storage galore, a big part of it means I have to figure out a place where to put it all & how much it'll cost me, as we work on the deal...any of you NE PA'ers have wild suggestions for a good car & parts keeping spot? Got a big garage yourself, heehee? Or do you just want to know what it is? Help me find the right place & maybe you can borrow it once in a while... :booyah:

Edited by caddycruiser

I'm guessing a B-body.

No...move up a decade and a half or so...maybe in years to come I'll pick up another one of those (or Roger's when he moves on?), but that's not it.

New. So new it has miles but half of what my G8 does, and so forth. Crazy deal from a crazy guy, but he's a lot like me when it comes to his cars and what he does with them, so like minds think alike. It being in SE PA was just a sign, if there ever was one, about the future...or at least a nice keeping spot. A lot of stuff to go with it that'll take some space but not an extreme amount.

Home, it needs a home, and a good one. Then I'll "figure it out" as time goes on, after paperwork and such, if all goes through.

Edited by caddycruiser

Now is that a decade and a half older or newer I wonder? I'm thinking CTS DI...

Essentially new, so, yeah, the year(s) should be self explanatory. That's NOT it though...but I LIKE the guesses! :confused0071:

Hope I can find the right home...I don't want to have to do a storage compound joint...but some place I can get to whenever I want, not worry about crime or just sticky fingers by other people around the space, and also not be paying out the nose...also be able to swap car #1 for car #2 at any given time, whenever I feel like it, just want to spread the miles, or whatever, until I move and so on in time to come.

Good thing we have such a high SE PA & NJ grouping on here...should be a big help here.

Edited by caddycruiser

Nice guesses guys, but I don't think anyone has it yet...or do they...?

Hoping everything works out, click, click, click. I have a "vision" for this one, that just makes me happy, and I won't accept a derailing :AH-HA:

Hmm, Let me know if the deal goes through. I may be able to help.

No promises.

Sounds good. Hope to have a few options or suggestions, from some who live in the area or that I just find myself.

Will need clean space for a car, about 2 full sets of extra wheel/tire combos, an exhaust system, and not much else.

caddycruiser's moving to New Hope?:mellow:

No...at least not that I know of :AH-HA:

Just tossing a 'crow-flys' PA town out there for reference ...

Yes. Appreciated :AH-HA:

I have some logistics to sort out, but keeping whatever it is right in PA after sorting out registration, etc. is easiest of all.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update to this. The potential deal on the "holy $h!, how is this even possible?!?" vehicle I first was talking about didn't go through, which stinks, but oh well. Now it's just time to shop otherwise :AH-HA:

Looking at my odometer, not to mention almost crashing today in bad weather, the G8 just needs a second friend period. All over the map right now, but considering a few things. Some impractical but cool. Others practical, stylish, etc. Just not sure.

Today was going to be a northbound shopping trip to the Philly suburbs & Jersey, but I made it 20 miles, got behind a salt truck & more snow, and came back home. I'll let everyone know what the #1 was eventually...

...have some shopping to do. Any new/newer GM suggestions, ey, that would be a great 2nd beside a G8 GT guys? Up for other ideas, of EVERY shape, size & kind :smilewide:

Terrain SLE1 AWD 4 cylinder.

After today calling my Jersey dealer back (hey, that might be a clue as to one of the new possibilities) to say I turned around & couldn't make it to check out what I was going to today...we talked about those and I said "maybe we can talk about a Terrain instead when I do make it up..."

I was looking at those after my hell trip home (look at my other lounge thread...), and still am, sorta. Of course, I, like Roger would want one tarted up nicely :yes:

Then I was browsing some CPO Envoy Denali's and even a TB SS...but...IDK...

And the NEW thing still is big...what I was going to check out today at a few dealers would so NOT be a snow vehicle...but garsh do I still want one...what a busty little bird...

As for what it was going to be, and was just about credit app signed & ready to roll? Well...

Edited by caddycruiser

My suggestions for a good snow vehicle

2010 Fusion SEL AWD

2010 Mercury Milan AWD

2010 Equinox/Terrain 2.4 AWD

Leftover/CPO Saturn VUE

Leftover/CPO Saturn Outlook if you don't mind the size

Trailblazer or Envoy 4WD

CPO Lincoln MKZ

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

My suggestions for a good snow vehicle

2010 Fusion SEL AWD

2010 Mercury Milan AWD

2010 Equinox/Terrain 2.4 AWD

Leftover/CPO Saturn VUE

Leftover/CPO Saturn Outlook if you don't mind the size

Trailblazer or Envoy 4WD

CPO Lincoln MKZ

GOOD ones! One of my best peeps with in PA who has a matching G8 and now works part time for a Ford dealer as a runner (gets to drive everything, swapping cars from dealer to dealer all over) recommended an AWD Fusion/Milan. Like so many other people, one of the favorites he always likes driving. Also the again suggested "with the G8, just do a 2 year lease on something so it's cheaper & you can swap it out every 2 or so years..." Not a bad idea, really, for what this 2nd car would be. He also suggested a Saab given the current crazy rebates and such, also not a bad idea.

Same for the Equinox/Terrain, as I was looking at some Terrain stuff today, just because I tend more to that side than another Chevy. The bowtie just doesn't speak to me in the same way, no matter how much I like them.

What I was going to drive, etc. today up north is pretty much the antithesis of all of these vehicles & so called wants, but I continue to want one. That rare, different, cool, etc. factor no matter how impractical also speaks to me. RARE, especially...hmm...

What I was going to drive, etc. today up north is pretty much the antithesis of all of these vehicles & so called wants, but I continue to want one. That rare, different, cool, etc. factor no matter how impractical also speaks to me. RARE, especially...hmm...

Maybe a Subaru WRX for ultimate fun in the winter, and your G8 for ultimate fun in the summer? I've driven my cousin's 2009 hatch (265 hp), and it's simple, down to earth, and very very brisk. Looks surprisingly good in black, too.

GOOD ones! One of my best peeps with in PA who has a matching G8 and now works part time for a Ford dealer as a runner (gets to drive everything, swapping cars from dealer to dealer all over) recommended an AWD Fusion/Milan. Like so many other people, one of the favorites he always likes driving. Also the again suggested "with the G8, just do a 2 year lease on something so it's cheaper & you can swap it out every 2 or so years..." Not a bad idea, really, for what this 2nd car would be. He also suggested a Saab given the current crazy rebates and such, also not a bad idea.

Same for the Equinox/Terrain, as I was looking at some Terrain stuff today, just because I tend more to that side than another Chevy. The bowtie just doesn't speak to me in the same way, no matter how much I like them.

You were up there shopping a Solstice Targa weren't you? :smilewide:

I would reco the Fusion to anyone. My aunt in Nova Scotia has a 2010 Fusion Sport AWD with the 3.5L. It's a VERY peppy car and I love the manumatic mode where you don't use paddles but the shift knob instead. Sangria Red with the Red/Black leather interior. I'd go with the 3.5L Sport over the 3.0L SEL because they have almost the same Fuel Economy but the 3.5L is much stronger. Handles real well and has better materials than the Malibu. The Leather especially.

You were up there shopping a Solstice Targa weren't you? :smilewide:

I would reco the Fusion to anyone. My aunt in Nova Scotia has a 2010 Fusion Sport AWD with the 3.5L. It's a VERY peppy car and I love the manumatic mode where you don't use paddles but the shift knob instead. Sangria Red with the Red/Black leather interior. I'd go with the 3.5L Sport over the 3.0L SEL because they have almost the same Fuel Economy but the 3.5L is much stronger. Handles real well and has better materials than the Malibu. The Leather especially.

I'll give it up, you're good. And YES :AH-HA:

Started with always wanting one, the year changing, the last of the last Pontiacs being left, and me looking around to see what was left. White loaded roadster at my Jersey G8 dealer they've had forever & at a killer price to me, and then a mixture of others I wanted to look at & drive. Need to compare the base vs. GXP for power, and real world space/roof deal with roadster vs. coupe. Still debating a loaded white "Pure" base convertible and a loaded black "Mysterious" base coupe...either one just drives me...I'd go negative on solving my yearly transportation deal, but look at them. The G8 would love a buddy like that...well, at least mostly as much as it would have what the original car this thread started for was :AH-HA:

There's so many GREAT new choices. Fusion/Milan, Equinox/Terrain, etc. All that I'd enjoy & would be great, even lease-able at nice numbers. My problem arises in the "not special" category...but it's hard to find something that's as wow as a Solstice for such a low price but that's also not another impractical RWD sports car...but then again I need to be practical at some point and not have 2 or 3 things I love on good days but can't use fully otherwise...

Edited by caddycruiser

Saab 9-3 XWD wagon? With a Thule roof rack on top?

thumbsup.gif

I could rock that. Most '09 Saabs left are going for at least $10k under MSRP, so it makes for a lot of possibilities in the $20k's. Somewhat more unique...but not hugely so...

Well you could always roll the G8 on winters with some extra sandbags and see where that gets you... maybe you just need to deck out the G8 in a way that doesn't welcome death :P.

Then if that works you can buy that Solstice anyways...

That was part of the plan before, but again now I'd like to slow the mileage on the G8, use it for less constant puttering around & more fun/cruising/etc.

To the Solstice end, RWD, top comes off or down, 2 seater, and more efficient 4-cyl...the G8 is a limo...I don't need another boat but something in between could be nice too.

Had a dream last night about the all black Solstice coupe, cruising with the top off, treating it mostly like my G8 but handling a chunk of my yearly miles...then in future years have an LS series GM V8 dropped into it. Or not. That rare bird collector factor means a lot too. It's perfect for the "ooooohhh" factor I demand, but can't check reality boxes off like an SUV would...IDK.

Gotta hit up some Ford dealers & check out some CPO things elsewhere too, hmmm...

Hahaha! I called it, well not here but in my e-mail to you after this post!! I knew back in November when you came over to fix the Caddy's windows and you were telling me about the white Solstice GXP at your dealership that you'd eventually start pursuing it. While the convertible is nice, and probably cheaper, the GXP targa will be the most collectible of all the Solstices because of the limted, one year run. Just my $0.02 there, but that's what I'd consider if I were in your place. My BPG dealership sold their last '09 Solstice Targa GXP (yellow) at the beginning of this month to a guy in Florida. If you want a new one, better act quick; used there are plenty around, including Saturn SKYs :AH-HA:

And as for Terrains, yes I'd love a fully loaded SLT-2 AWD V6, but I'm thinking that a well-optioned SLE-2 might be doable in the near future. Right now dealers are selling every single one they can order/get delivered, so I'm holding off primarily on that fact (okay, my credit & financial status really are the primary reason!). But yesterday I went to look at a used 2003 GMC Sonoma SLS Crew Cab 4WD @ a Toyota dealership and instead ended up at the nearby GMC dealership looking at a base Terrain SLE-1 (no options, FWD, 2.4L 4 cyl - $24,995e). I need to drive a SLE-1 or SLE-2 FWD 2.4L 4 cyl to see exactly how liveable it is for me. Snow is moderate here in southern NJ, and my work usually closes when there's more than 2" and plowing can't be done at all district buildings in time (about 15, including schools, district offices, bus garage, etc). So AWD would be nice, but not a required feature. I'd love to say with confidence the 2.4L 4 cyl would be good enough for me, but my '07 SKY had that engine and I always wished it had a V6 instead. The V6 adds $1500 to the cost, so well-optioned, FWD, 3.0L V6 would run me approximately $29,500 MSRP, whereas a well-optioned, FWD, 2.4L 4 cyl would run me $27,900 MSRP (the one option I'd like, the flip-up DVD player, is NOT included in that price due to being $1,295). Anyway, in time I hope to saveup some cash for a down payment, and sell the Cadillac and use what I can from that to assist me. I'd like to order a Terrain instead of finding one on a dealer's lot, and have always wanted to get a new car for Christmas, so that's my goal for this year.

You need protection.

holden_commodore_ve.jpg

Truth Stranger than Fiction

A friend of mine nearly totaled his older BMW hitting a deer and at the time was contemplating buying a G8 (ended up not buying one because you couldn't get a lower end one with a manual transmission) was going to purchase that very part to mount on it for protection.

Heehee, I thought about ordering one of those from Oz (where it's a normal GM/Holden accessory part :AH-HA: ) just for $h!s & giggles. Heh.

Holden Nudge Bar.

nudge-bar.jpg

Edited by caddycruiser

Today, online only however, in between working & Sunday chores, I browsed anything from used Avalanche's (mmm, a Bermuda Blue one would match the G8...and remains one of my favorite trucks/SUV/things ever), to Taurus's, to Milan's, to Lexus's (well...that's another crazy story...), Infiniti's, a Honda something or other and then back to the Solstice's.

So among all that, and still, price wise even though there isn't much size for the $$, nothing has yet to beat the deal of a last run Solstice nor do I want anything as much. Well, at least until later tonight when I change my mind again.

If you were buying a Solstice...spare me if you'd never, ever want one...2009, base 2.4L, automatic, loaded with everything else which of the following & why:

1) Pure (white) '09 base convertible, black leather. Nearby & $8k off. Great dealer. I've NEVER seen a white Solstice in person until this one at my dealer. (same car, just polish the wheels to be like #2)

3.jpg

white-sol1.jpg

white-sol2.jpg

2) Mysterious (black) '09 base coupe, black leather. 6 hours west, $7k off, final price $2k higher than #1...but it's a coupe...it's black...more cargo space?...dealer seems good, back near where I used to live. But it's also black, has an annoying roof...$2k higher final price than #1.

6.jpg

2.jpg

14.jpg

To keep this going & before I drive other things and may decide...take a gander...post away...I could use the Kappa pointers :blush:

Edited by caddycruiser

I second what Ocn is saying. Get the Hardtop if you get the soft-top you'll kick yourself until the day you die. The soft-top Targa section would do just fine. Furthermore you can make the G8 as winter ready as possible and spread the mileage out. If not you can also spend that money getting a 2000$ W-Body winter beater...

I second what Ocn is saying. Get the Hardtop if you get the soft-top you'll kick yourself until the day you die. The soft-top Targa section would do just fine. Furthermore you can make the G8 as winter ready as possible and spread the mileage out. If not you can also spend that money getting a 2000$ W-Body winter beater...

Wow, I really do think like a lot of you... :AH-HA: I was browsing "my dealer's" site today with the one Solstice and looked at a low mileage CPO '06 Impala SS of all things, heh. Then some older Grand Prix's, from about '02-03. That could be an even more affordable option & check off other boxes, albeit not exclusive unless a really rare model of some sort.

The goal of a #2 is not to be a winter car, a summer car, or just a trip car, but to have something that I enjoy & can spread some of the G8's extra miles onto. Of course, financially, just driving the G8 as much as I need or want to and let that be that costs less in the end...but I've done so much to it, I don't know, just want to preserve. And some days? Honestly? A 360+ horse, BIG sedan can be a bit much, great, but a bit much at times.

The coupe looks amaze me, but the top situation, etc. and the fact it would be more work to get one are what remains stacked against it. I need to do a back to back sit in & drive of each, and see from there. Funny, pics of the white roadster (yep, even Amana, err, GM Summit White) just looks good on this car with the polished wheels...and then can look completely drab & blah in others like above. That's white for you. At least it'd be easy to maintain. Here's a shot of the ACTUAL roadster in NJ, behind a Lucerne of all things...heh...fun shot:

7.jpg

Solstice remains the cheapest option, somehow, of other things I'd want. I never did like that 2.4L in our Malibu, though...mmm...but with the 5-spd, etc. it has to be different in a smaller, RWD Kappa. Hopefully just not a pig or as much of a slug as it was in the 'Bu...unless...

Edited by caddycruiser

The 2.4L 4cyl in my '07 SKY roadster (base) was decent enough for the car to move, but being a V6/V8 guy it was a change for me. Plenty of times I wished the SKY had a V6 instead. Some of the SKY Redline owners I got to know said that the turbocharged 2.0L 4cyl was quite the powerplant over the 2.4L and felt more like how a V6 would act. Going from a 6.0L V8 to a 2.4L 4cyl will likely be a big change! You'll have to adapt to different driving styles for each car.

Again, the Solstice Targa will be more collectible in the long run due to its one-year limited production run. After personally owning the SKY, I really like the targa over the roadster - from what I can tell from just seat time in my dealer's showroom, the open-airness is the same between the roadster and the coupe. It's basically what's behind you - with the roadster it's openess, with the targa its a roof & rear glass. I actually think you may have more cargo room with the roadster (top up of course), but the targa will give you the ability to carry larger items due to the glass hatch.

Oh how I envy you... getting to own that awesome G8 GT and now looking to add a Solstice!! Go ahead and just kill me - get a Terrain too!! :lol:

Oh, and i really like the white. I know the targa you've found is black, and unless you get your dealer to search for another color targa at another dealer, you really don't have a choice. My SKY was Silver Graphite Metallic, the dark gray that was offered only in calendar year 2006 (used on other GM vehicles, like the HHR). When I ordered it, I was stuck between that color and white - I had selected the black & red leather interior which would have gone with either exterior color - but when I saw how the chrome went really well with the dark gray on a HHR, I knew that was the color I wanted (with all the orders at the time, the supplier ran out of the black & red leather so I went with the all black). At the first Kappa gathering at the Delaware plant, when I saw several SKYs in white, and started to second guess my decision (I still loved that dark gray). The Kappas in white with chrome or polished rims look great.

I know I said the targa, but you can't go wrong with either model. Since you already have a sedan, you really don't need your 2nd car to be too similar. The roadster would still be a great Solstice to have, and even in that tiny dealership picture it looks great in white. If it saves you some money, how can you go wrong? And next time we meet, you'll have to bring the Solstice... and this time I will ask to take your car for a spin :P

Roger, I value your opinion on these the most...since you had one :CG_all:

I didn't like the 2.4L in our Malibu because it was a slurpy pig, but at the same time, in a car like this, it has to be better. The 2.0T is a standout, but of course, that's also why there are so few left to pick from...except for a white GXP roadster in northern DE with cloth seats (a plus for me) that I also liked & wanted to see. White would be a breeze for maintenance, black looks great but would drive me crazy too.

I like the idea of more structure behind my head, and a full hatch vs. a clam shell trunk with little space under it, but then at the same time having the hardtop you can't store in the car and the softtop being a $1,000 accessory and that it takes up the full cargo space if you store it anyway, there's not a perfect setup. Just those natural Kappa design flaws that make them actually attractive, plus that they're so small but I fit in them nicely.

"My" dealer had a Wicked (sport red) base coupe last year that really caught my eye, and was the car when I asked about it got the response of "yeah, as if it isn't hard enough to sell a convertible, no one wants to deal with the coupe roof...we dealer traded it off finally". They've had this white roadster for a long time, dealer traded in from PA some time back, and is their last Pontiac just as the black coupe is the other dealer's last Pontiac.

Whatever it is...even if it remains just the G8...next time we meet up, you can have at either. I promise!

Edited by caddycruiser

Go with the one at Pointe and see if they can make us both a deal:

I really like this 2008 GMC Envoy SLT, and it's in my favorite color - dark steel gray metallic (I wish it only had the black interior instead, but could deal with the "gray") http://www.pointenj.com/VehicleDetails/592064253

Or if I can't geta deal on that one, this 2001 GMC Yukon SLT would be nice too, and is cheaper! http://www.pointenj.com/VehicleDetails/582715233

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Go with the one at Pointe and see if they can make us both a deal:

I really like this 2008 GMC Envoy SLT, and it's in my favorite color - dark steel gray metallic (I wish it only had the black interior instead, but could deal with the "gray") http://www.pointenj.com/VehicleDetails/592064253

Or if I can't geta deal on that one, this 2001 GMC Yukon SLT would be nice too, and is cheaper! http://www.pointenj.com/VehicleDetails/582715233

Believe it or not...I was looking at those same TWO things earlier today :AH-HA:

I started to get an Envoy thing going on there for a while, heh. My guy Kevin there is great and I love the little place, so, you know...we could work something out. They like to deal, without much effort & it's just a friendly little place with some volume. Then times to come, they have apparently mastered the Terrain allocation system, so...

I REALLY like that Yukon...and the price...hmm... :confused0071:

I was about to send my guy there an email or call him today to say start checking on the financing for me, as they've had other bites on that Solstice in the meantime, but I still haven't had a chance to try them out & would forever wonder if that black coupe would just stick too hard in my head...

Edited by caddycruiser