Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I need a storage garage in SE PA...hmm...for...

Well, that Envoy has defintely caught my eye, but $25k would probably be a little out of the affordable range for me right now (especially with the caddy loan). Though it is exactly how I want an Envoy - fully loaded in that color with those awesome chrome rims. Even if they lowered it to $20k it may be a stretch, but then I'd have to sell the Caddy quickly and make some cash off of it to use as a downpayment on the Envoy loan. Between this '08 GMC and the '86 GP in the AUCTION thread, my mind is doing some 'window shopping' right now!! :lol:

Well, that Envoy has defintely caught my eye, but $25k would probably be a little out of the affordable range for me right now (especially with the caddy loan). Though it is exactly how I want an Envoy - fully loaded in that color with those awesome chrome rims. Even if they lowered it to $20k it may be a stretch, but then I'd have to sell the Caddy quickly and make some cash off of it to use as a downpayment on the Envoy loan. Between this '08 GMC and the '86 GP in the AUCTION thread, my mind is doing some 'window shopping' right now!! :lol:

Heehee, you never know. Now that I took a third look at that insanely low mileage '01 Yukon SLT 5-seater, buttery leather seats and all (back in the years they had awesome leather), it continues to intrigue me.

I sent a late email to my guy there about moving forward with get me some % rates & we can chat from there on the Solstice, however that works. Sent an email to the dealer with the black coupe, too, with a similar request.

Or...maybe I'll just buy a 9 year old Yukon & call it a day :AH-HA:

Edited by caddycruiser

Turbo or NA?

Base 2.4L & automatic, most every other option.

In a perfect world, I'd want the DI 2.0T but to get otherwise what I want, still new & at a doable price, so far only base models have been the choice.

I had visions of cruising in this coupe after I got the pic...grrr...;-)

As sweet as a Solstice would be... Do you really want another RWD/performance car? If this car is really intended to keep the miles off the G8 then I would get a car you can really drive to work and in the winter. So that would remove the Solstice, sorry. I think a CPO Envoy Denali (love 'em) or Trailblazer SS would be a much better fit, still sporty with lots of go, but they can haul and tow! Plus they are AWD for the worst of North Eastern winters, just my five cents. Finishing close after that would be a 2006-2007 CPO Monte Carlo SS or a new Equinox 1LT or Terrain SLE2. I don't no what your budget is but I have got a few '09 Impala SS's around me if you wanted to go new.

Good points, really. Roger made a good point to me earlier today that I should probably slow it down a bit, do some shopping, hit the Philly auto show, etc.

Mainly because I, like him, have automotive ADD. Pretty true.

That said, what it comes down to is what, if I'm going to the extent of taking on a 2nd car payment (albeit as low as possible), what could I get for that certain $$$ figure and feel it is WORTH every last cent, month to month? If used or older, unless really over the top, could I stand making a payment on something that's already been around the block several times? Cash, okay, but otherwise IDK. An SUV is practical, comfortable, roomy, all weather ready, etc. But usually no more efficient than my G8, there are a lot of stylish choices out there but none that really are what you'd call exclusive or rare (okay, aside from an Isuzu Vehicross...), and they're not exactly engaging to drive. The G8 is quite the multi talented beast, but sometimes I want just a bit more luxury, a bit more soft silence, etc.

Then there are also times I'm just doing my daily flailing around, and think, this is GREAT but a smaller little sport something could be even better. For "those" days, that is.

I'm a sucker for exclusivity, yet another reason why, of all my cars, I had the least passion for my Malibu. I don't do appliance & if I can go weeks without seeing myself? Check mate. Heh.

You guys are good, very good. I wish I could get a day or two off earlier & figure myself out without another full week to stew;-)

Another day almost done and I think I'm still stuck on one of these little go karts...

So many other things to consider, but in the end can I stand having something everyone else does? Or just another car that's "another car"? Not really. Grr, if only I could sit in & drive a few of these back to back, I could make up my mind better. Thought about VW's. Thought about Terrains. Thought about various Fords. Still not hitting it.

Driving the G8 home tonight, I realized how it really checked ALL the boxes off, from purring luxury car, to Vette acceleration, to room galore, etc. I just want something "else" to play with. If only there were a GXP coupe for a better price and closer by...that wasn't liquid red like the one that is available...

You know you want that Solstice coupe...

I do, I do...if only that damn roof were easier to deal with & didn't necessitate another $1k piece to make it stowable on the fly...

And if only it or one was closer, or at "my" dealer. The white roadster they do have that I've looked at 3 times still speaks to me too. All I need to do is sit in a roadster and then a coupe, and play with the roof on each and see from there.

Jumping ahead, I emailed my 3M clear bra guy in Philly for a quote and he's already set to go...heh...I told him white or black...and got offered a discount "since you have been a great customer"...yeah, the G8 has been cleared over over, up front 2x...can't have a car without the stuff.

The other 2 wildcards here...there's still a white GXP roadster a few miles from the base white one above, and another dealer in PA has 1 remaining coupe, a red GXP. It's too much $$ and red, but alas. Oh, if only I could get a Pacific Slate one... 8)

A fun new car would definitely be the Solstice, roadster or coupe.

A fun used/CPO car would be a G6 Convertible, preferably the GT or GTP model. Seeing as how you liked your '08 Pontiac G6 Coupe, a G6 Convertible would be larger & roomier than a Solstice, has a more usable trunk than a Solstice, and for those incelement weather days, you have the benefits of the hard-top rather than a soft-top. Plenty of aftermarket parts to keep you busy like you were with the G8, and you know the Epsilon cars have had little issues over the years (the Kappas used the Gen1 CTS rear which is prone to issues).

Yes, I agree with your thoughts on the SUV - too similar to the sedan you already have, minus the performance factor (unless "Denali" or "Escalade" were part of the name :AH-HA: ). Of course a nearby Chevy dealer has something I wish I could buy that offers moderate performance from it's 5.3L V8, some luxury options, and with a hard-top convertible to boot (no pun intended) - a silver 2004 Chevrolet SSR :lovey: As much as I want it, it's yours if you want a performance pickup truck!

You want something that is reliable, not too common, and most importantly offers you fun in a different way than the G8 GT. The Solstice and G6 Convertible would both accomplish that goal. And don't fret, the 2.4L 4 cyl in the Solstice roadster (or even in a coupe) has plenty of aftermarket support to whet your appetite!! :neenerneener:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

G8 6-cyl CPO. :smilewide:

Thought about it. Still do.

To finally let the cat out of the bag...the original car this thread was started about was another '09 G8 GT. Why special? Owned by a meticulous retired friend, Pacific Slate like mine but also with a sunroof, Pedders suspension, Corsa catback, 3 sets of wheels, and various other accessories. All with only 8k miles and to take over his CRAZY cheap 39 month lease (put a big $$ chunk down, wanted to finance but also liked the idea of dropping the keys & running away in 3 years) at not only at $150 less per month than my GT financed, but about 20 months left & a low end buyout too. Everything he had for it went with it, and it was like mine but pampered even more. What a deal. But in the end he mentioned it to his daughter after me (then regretted it) who turned out interested & took it instead. He has automotive ADD too & just bought himself a new black Jeep Wrangler, of all things, yesterday.

Funny part is, no matter what I could buy aside from the cheapest Solstice, I'll still end up paying more monthly than that modded & spotless G8 GT lease. Oh well. Just have to find a lightly used PSM GXP in times to come, instead.

GREAT post Roger...you & I would both enjoy & go crazy shopping together;-)

Ah. I know that Cochran has/had a Solstice Coupe in the showroom recently. I think it was a CPO.

If you wanted, I could get out to Smail and take more shots of it for ya.

I'll PM you...what an idea, if not too far or a hassle;-)

You know, my automotive ADD is in high gear right now. If I knew I could afford that Envoy, andcould get the financing for it, I'd be very tempted to make the leap. The financials plus my desire for a GMC Terrain are applying the brakes right now. But I'm really, really, really thinking about that Envoy (and I know it would fit in the garage :AH-HA:).

Here's a rather rare Pontiac, only 2900 miles.

auction

Heehee...there was a point in time...not long ago...when I heard the GM Card topoff earnings were back, and I thought "hmm"...hey...there's a cheap new...something...

Lasted about 4 minutes :AH-HA: You know though...I never have seen a G3 in the wild...

You know, my automotive ADD is in high gear right now. If I knew I could afford that Envoy, andcould get the financing for it, I'd be very tempted to make the leap. The financials plus my desire for a GMC Terrain are applying the brakes right now. But I'm really, really, really thinking about that Envoy (and I know it would fit in the garage :AH-HA:).

Heehee...well...I did just get 2 free Philly auto show tickets from the owner of Pointe...so...you know...we could both head there, figure out a car to grab each (the Pointe guys are financing pro's from what I've seen) and then hit the auto show to close the day out :CG_all:

Edited by caddycruiser

2008_GMC_Envoy_Denali.jpg

Okay, that's not a pic of the actual Envoy, but it is that color and has those great looking chrome rims.

Now, having leased a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT, I know first hand about this type of vehicle. I know how much gas it uses, what it feels like to fill up the gas tank when gas reaches $4.00/gallon (don't miss that at all), and that it is a heavy vehicle. But, I also remember how comfortable it was on long trips, how much cargo space it offers (especially with a baby on the way), three people can fit across the rear bench seat, and how much I enjoyed driving it on a daily basis (minus the gas costs, especially in 2008). Now a FWD, 2.4L 4cyl GMC Terrain may be a more practical and economical choice, and I definitely love them, so do I want to sacrifice the Terrain for an Envoy? This is what has been going through my head.

Finance wizards, is that right Derek?

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Okay, that's not a pic of the actual Envoy, but it is that color and has those great looking chrome rims.

Now, having leased a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT, I know first hand about this type of vehicle. I know how much gas it uses, what it feels like to fill up the gas tank when gas reaches $4.00/gallon (don't miss that at all), and that it is a heavy vehicle. But, I also remember how comfortable it was on long trips, how much cargo space it offers (especially with a baby on the way), three people can fit across the rear bench seat, and how much I enjoyed driving it on a daily basis (minus the gas costs, especially in 2008). Now a FWD, 2.4L 4cyl GMC Terrain may be a more practical and economical choice, and I definitely love them, so do I want to sacrifice the Terrain for an Envoy? This is what has been going through my head.

1070224483.jpg

Yes, sir. I'm a stickler for just the right "combo" and this is an example of one of them, interior color aside...but even that I like.

On the financing, yep, I've never had to do anything special...but I've seen them take on anything & everything, in my various visits. Not that you're anything & everything, but it never hurts to ask at all. John is their guy when it comes to %'s...or just let you get on his computer to print out insurance cards because you forgot them otherwise, heh;-) We both have ADD, but in situations like this, again, never hurts to ask. I asked for ball park % rates they'd expect to get on the Solstice and got a guesstimate via email, just then depends on me personally when bounced off the different banks.

I still want that black coupe...still do...I wish it were at Pointe...but until I can sit in & drive both body styles, still can't say for sure. That goes for anything else I might spot & want to try along the way, including some new Fords...

Today I talked myself into how much the 2.4L would be great, how fun these would be to drive, and even how nice it would be to have the USB input on the black coupe's head unit as I was driving home, tinkering with my iPhone & aux. cord in the G8. Round and round we go.

Edited by caddycruiser

One to drive, one to store for 40 years then sell at auction as one of the last EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-mobiles?

Presumable but you couldn't tell based even though they had a full page ad in both papers. The picture in the ad was of a Sierra 1500 with a G3 haphazardly chucked in the bed. I've got to find the ad and post it.

If I were you and looking for a daily driver right now I'd be trying to maximize fuel economy. As of now the Crude Oil futures for December 2010 are reaching near 100$/barrel again. That wouldn't stop me from buying a V8 Cadillac as a fun sort of project/weekend car but certainly from purchasing a new car that was that bad on gas.

Presumable but you couldn't tell based even though they had a full page ad in both papers. The picture in the ad was of a Sierra 1500 with a G3 haphazardly chucked in the bed. I've got to find the ad and post it.

Well I guess they aren't offering two anymore... this was the ad double posted in the paper and on their website.

excitement.jpg

If I were you and looking for a daily driver right now I'd be trying to maximize fuel economy. As of now the Crude Oil futures for December 2010 are reaching near 100$/barrel again. That wouldn't stop me from buying a V8 Cadillac as a fun sort of project/weekend car but certainly from purchasing a new car that was that bad on gas.

Oh, trust me - I know all about the Envoy's thirstyness. The '05 Envoy SLT 4WD we had liked gas but when it was cheaper in '05-'07 it wasn't much of an issue. Zoom to late winter/early spring of 2008 and gas prices spiked - I was putting between $60-$75 in gas fill-ups per week, depending on the price. So I am being cautious in that sense, since I don't really have the cash for a higher monthly payment AND a bigger gas bill at the same time. One of the reasons why I go back and forth between this '08 Envoy and a new Terrain - the Terrain gives me enough 'truck' without the gas needs of the Envoy. Of course Terrains are not plentiful right now, sales incentives are non-existant, and the one I want (though not fully loaded or AWD) would be $5-$7k more than the price of this '08 Envoy that is fully loaded and has 4WD.

I need patience, and once I've got the car buying bug under grasp I should be fine for a few days :lol:

Oh, trust me - I know all about the Envoy's thirstyness. The '05 Envoy SLT 4WD we had liked gas but when it was cheaper in '05-'07 it wasn't much of an issue. Zoom to late winter/early spring of 2008 and gas prices spiked - I was putting between $60-$75 in gas fill-ups per week, depending on the price. So I am being cautious in that sense, since I don't really have the cash for a higher monthly payment AND a bigger gas bill at the same time. One of the reasons why I go back and forth between this '08 Envoy and a new Terrain - the Terrain gives me enough 'truck' without the gas needs of the Envoy. Of course Terrains are not plentiful right now, sales incentives are non-existant, and the one I want (though not fully loaded or AWD) would be $5-$7k more than the price of this '08 Envoy that is fully loaded and has 4WD.

I need patience, and once I've got the car buying bug under grasp I should be fine for a few days :lol:

I wish there was rehab for our disease Roger...heh :AH-HA:

A co-worker just got a new '10 Escape over the weekend, and having ridden in it everyday since Monday several times, I can even more now see the appeal of current small/mid-size crossover 'utes with space and very efficient powertrains. I like the "crotchedy old but updated" '09+ Escape so much, especially even with the 2.5L/6-speed, it makes me really wonder how really how great a new Equinox/Torrent winning accolades is.

And I got a killer quote on a new '10 Fusion Sport of all things today, heh. Round the world. Again, STILL want a Solstice, and still will go for one if nothing else strikes me, but in the low $20k's & new...there are a lot of different choices. From an award winning midsize "everyone has one" sedan to a little roadster that could win a design award but also full of "uh..." points to some new mini CUV's.

lol @ the mention of "automotive ADD" in this thread. I'm the walking definition of it. XD

At the moment its looking like the Cutlass's spot will become vacant and quickly as soon as finances become a touch more stable ...

Exactly. So far, the only pill I could imagine working is to own a big car dealer...heh...take what you feel like, day to day :AH-HA:

So a stack of something falls off a shelf in my bedroom this morning. I knew it was magazines, but when I go to pick them up, look which one was on top...

solstice-mag.jpg

A sign? Heh...at least a good re-read.

Cool. Camino mentioned a while ago that if I was going to plow with an Avalanche, I should get a 2500... that's why I was going that route.

Edit: I would just be an extra money making thing in the winter if I ever leave the CubeLand day job I'm in right now.

I've resumed my search for an Avalanche... preferably a 2500 so I can put a plow on it.

Me too. Bermuda Blue, loaded but still with cloth, Z71, etc...sign me up.

After today? Yeah, you bet so...sitting in the dark, trusty iPhone my only link to the world...

Heh, too bad you couldn't look at that Solstice coupe for me today, ey? Hah. At least my dealer with the white roadster joked "at least no one else will be shopping for our last Solstice in this kind of weather!" after I said I couldn't make it up, second time in a row.

Solstice, LSD, automatic...no weight...but still has to be kinda sorta maybe snow worthy in a pinch...;-)

Edited by caddycruiser

Solstice, LSD, automatic...no weight...but still has to be kinda sorta maybe snow worthy in a pinch...;-)

I think starting in late summer 2006, traction control was added to all Kappa's. I know my April 2006-built 2007 Saturn SKY Roadster had the optional LSD rear, but no traction control was offered at the time. Many an owner "lost it" in the twisties without the traction control's assistance. I drove my SKY in the snow once - the day I sold it to its new owner - and it handled the 1" to 2" on the ground pretty okay (though it was a short drive). I think a 2009 Solstice with LSD, auto, and traction control would allow you travel abilities in some small amounts of snow (was Stabilitrack ever offered on the Kappas?).

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/year-model-options-lsd-stabilitrak-56652/

Yep, changed over the years, but for '09 ABS, Stabilitrak and the G80 LSD were all standard.

Day 2 without power, had visions of a little Solstice on Blizzaks, romping around the snow piles. Then I eventually go...but why the expensive G8 too?

Doesn't matter, doing something regardless. Well, other than going stir crazy right now, connected only by phone.

Got your message, why not go for that '08 Envoy at Pointe then? It sure does look like a beautiful truck from their pictures. That Envoy 4WD will get you through the snow just fine, and any other type of inclement weather you run onto in your travels. The G8 will be your fun vehicle and still can be used in inclement weather, but the Envoy can get you through the worst stuff. I want it, but there's nothing saying I'm going to get it, and I'd be happy knowing it went to a really good home ( :AH-HA: ) Plus, the '01 Yukon SLT they had apparently sold already...