Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I need a storage garage in SE PA...hmm...for...

Congrats on the Avlanche purchase. You're getting to own some of GM's nicest vehicles over the past year and a half!! I think the chrome door handles and chrome mirror caps would be a nice addition to the white exterior along with the other chrome trim on the vehicle. As for the interior color, it's a nice difference from the all-black of the G8, but it's funny to see a non-black steering wheel (kind of jumps out at you, in a positive way). I think you'll like this vehicle and nothing beats driving any GMT-900 as your daily driver :AH-HA:

As for me, it looks like I'm going to have to hold off for now on my purchase quest. I need to sell the Cadillac first and hopefully at a small profit (well, really to recoup some of the repair costs out of my pocket from November) so I have some money for a down payment on a CPO vehicle. For those not in the know, I went ahead to caddycruiser's NJ Pontiac-Buick-GMC selling dealership and selected their summit white 2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD. I really like the Envoy the best - not saying the Buick Rainier isn't nice, just that I'm a diehard GMC guy and will always regret not going for an Envoy over any of the other GMT-360s. The monthly payment is coming in too high for my needs, and without the sale of the Cadillac on my own for some down payment assistance money, I'm going to have to back away (trade-in value is not enough to cover the loan, let alone help with some down payment for the new loan, and no where else I took the car to locally helped out). I really can't afford to trade-in the Caddy at a loss (and bury some of its loan into the CPO loan), and with no bites from a potential buyer, looks like I have no choice but to put this plan on hold. If I could get back into leasing, man I wouldn't hesitate for one moment to do that (I hate owning/financing my cars!).

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

It'll happen, Roger, no doubt. Cases like mine were, well, insanity and I really did things too quickly, with the ability to do so.

At least you won't be like me after going "um...yeah...I probably should have thought about that more..." after. The Fleetwood will sell, we'll continue to work on it, and then at least you had the good chance to try out SEVERAL things and narrow it down to what you really want. That's the most important step, let's just keep getting ads, etc. up on the Fleetwood.

As for me...had a great last (I think?) day with Jack the G8 today, romping around running errands, and (as somehow always happens) I saw more new '07+ Avalanches and Z71 package new Tahoes & Suburbans (both decently rare sightings, really) all over, everywhere I went. Was parking at one of the outlets and saw this coming at me & then park...what a sign:

1267308944.jpg

I like the rear cladding "as is" better, but nice regardless. I've never seen a new white Z71 in person until now.

As for the white Av pic you posted, I like the rear flying buttresses and covered storage bins painted vs. unpainted gray plastic. I was at the bank today opening a new account for my step-son and a gray Av LTZ pulls up outside of the window. Fully loaded, 20" polished rims and all, in that steel gray color I like. the only thing that didn't look right with the whole monotone color theme of the new Av was the gray plastic flying buttress/covered storage bins. I can see where on the 1st gen Av's where that part blended in with the plastic gray lower body hardware, but when the 2nd gen went all monotone in color, the rear treatment should have been body colored too. The picture you posted verifies that for me, even though it is a Cadillac Escalade EXT rip-off.

Well, a good salesperson never gives up on the sale easily and so far Drew is falling into that category. He came back with a small increase in the trade-in value to help me get closer to my goal, but the payment is still far off that I can't take the plunge yet. So unless my FWB sells soon, I have no other choice but to walk away from this Envoy. The wife brought up CPO GMC Yukons with me yetserday. While I'd love to find a well-kept '05 or '06 Yukon (even an SLE trimmed model), I think getting one of those in the price range I need will be close to impossible (all online searches have shown prices $3-$4k higher than what I can comfortably spend). And while the Yukon would give me the closest "Sierra" ownership I so desire, again issues with fitting it into the garage, a little more gas consumption than the Envoy (and a bigger gas tank than the Envoy), and the fact no Yukon I've found has low mileage for it's age like the Envoy, prevent me from going that route right now. The Envoy is one of those perfect SUVs for me - not too small, not too large, just trucky enough for my needs, that going full-size doesn't make sense unless the deal was too good to pass up.

I'm at the point that while in theory buying the '96 FWB was a good idea last summer, it's not working out as I had hoped (much like how you thought the G8 would satisfy you when you really wanted a truck). i've always wanted a truck and nothing I buy that isn't a truck or SUV will satisfy me. i'm disappointed in that no one wants my FWB enough to buy it (not only here, but at other enthusiast sites, etc). For years all I've heard is how great these cars are and how in demand they are, but i'm not seeing it (maybe that only applies to Caprices/Impala SS). Or it could just be my curse, that whenever I finance or own a car no one is in the market for it when I decide to sell it :lol:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

New truck arriving any minute...oh what a Sunday night this shall be. I've been queasy since yesterday, "uh oh...".

G8 got a wash & otherwise, sorta ready to go, I didn't even get to take my stickers off...oh well...

It's here!

Last shot of Jack the G8...

1267401417.jpg

Met the driver (finance manager, actually, awesome guy) who drove the 11-12 hours, at a local gas station.

1267401357.jpg

1267401363.jpg

I LOVE it. Just drove about 10 miles home & it checks all my boxes & then some. The white Z71 look outside & the fully decked out 2-tone beige & no plood interior is sumptuous. Plus I have some SPACE...but it drives like a crisp enough luxury sedan. A big one. Rolling, silent tank. Like our '02 Z66 but 7 years of killer work since.

Jack is looking much too sexy in that last pic.

Have fun w/the Av!

He did...what a sexy motha, still. Between the G8 & the new temp tag'd Avalanche side by side, we were getting stares. But Jack was about to have a nice drive with a cool guy and should have a nice new warmer home down south. Signed the stack of papers in the Av, chatted about cars & the dealer, and then I gave a quick run down of how the G8's nav works. Awesome car. I was still smiling driving from my house to the gas station to meet him. But the truck, although clearly a truck, is just dreamy in a different way. I love it. I miss the G8 and the 6.0L's torque, but already enjoy the Av's interior, space, and look mucho.

I didn't tell anyone but here & my best friend what I did and when I showed the parents, what a reaction. A great one. "A truck? I don't see you in a truck...what kind of truck?" from mom. Dad asked a few $$ questions then wanted to go outside and stare at it. "Z71? But...how...aren't those...what is that? It looks so much better all smooth & painted than your mom's old one..."

Just set up some radio stations, got the floor mats temporarily sorted out until my Weathertech molded floor liners arrive and excited. Somehow the guy that brought it up had very similar tastes in the seat position, XM stations & even the radio settings. Nice.

Clear bra next...gotta protect the white beast...it did a killer job on the G8...

Edited by caddycruiser

The brood yesterday morning. The new beastly is...uh...TALL...towers over even other trucks at work...

I think the Camaro likes it. 2 hot noses :AH-HA:

1267444422.jpg

You need to flip out the white barge for a black one ( :AH-HA: ) to make that picture much better looking!! :lol:

How's the Avalanche doing so far? We need an update stat!

You need to flip out the white barge for a black one ( :AH-HA: ) to make that picture much better looking!! :lol:

How's the Avalanche doing so far? We need an update stat!

Oh, I've brought that up a few times, even show the pictures "look at THIS..." but they're not interested fully yet. I still would be, but then I also have a new $$ truck-o-saur that does it all...shame. Went to dinner with co-workers last night, after 3 days of side chatter "he got ANOTHER new car?!?" and it came up how people thought I'd never get rid of my '95..."we thought they'd have to pry it out of your cold, dead hands...then...well, you moved on..." Looked out my work window yesterday and saw a black '95/96 Brougham with black glass rolling down the highway, too. We have to find a buyer for you, we have to!

Avalanche is doing great, but what an adjustment. Woo. I love it. A really low, FE3 suspended, RWD, 6.0L sedan to essentially a Suburban with a bed is a big change. So far love the look and interior of this thing, most of which is just ritzier than in the G8 but the G8 was no slouch inside. The 2-tone cashmere is an eye catcher especially with brushed silver trim vs. crappy fake wood (thank you Z71...) and so bright & cheery after the dark G8. It's definitely looser to drive than what I'm used to as well, but the GMT-900's remain about the most solid, best riding & handling trucks out there and that's so true.

Even better, and part of why I really wanted a GMT-900 is the powertrain. It's SO down on power compared to my 6.0L G8, but with the high 3.08 rear end, 6-spd, and AFM in 3 days of my typical commute is already getting exactly the same mileage as my 93 premium drinking G8. Exactly. And it isn't a struggle to do so, right around 17mpg with 2-lane cruising, stop signs & lights is easy. It has an annoying bit of a dead spot from about 35-50 that makes me go "okay, come on now..." as you accelerate, but with the high rear axle it still steps off peppy and moves well at very low RPM once you are moving. Seems to be improving the more I drive, which is expected. Plus it's so darn quiet, I rarely if ever hear the 5.3L, at idle or when stabbing the throttle. Nice in a different way than the Corsa roar I was akin to.

1.jpg

Basically, just love it. The fact that I can drive a luxury liner 6k lb truck that can do everything but still get mileage like my car did before, that's terrific. Add in the rear camera (one of my favorite features), the rear sonar, and so on, it's even getting easier and easier to park.

One issue. The dealer drove it 750 miles from their lot to me and then my G8 back, which having met the guy, was just a great relaxed break in and no concerns from me. Even said "it was SUCH a great ride...love driving these". But from the first time I drove it, I noticed a sort of cross truck wobbling shudder vibration. Couldn't tell what it might be, but after 3 days feeling it so clearly in the seat, floor and steering wheel, something is really up but I don't know what. At least he didn't know anything, but when I drive on the smooth roads around here it feels like something is constantly quivering and enough to really bother me. Tried pumping up the tires a bit more but that seemed to only make it more pronounced. Having driven these before, it's not normal...but we'll see. I hope it's something as simple as tires. Made an appointment at the local dealer for Friday. Always something to start :AH-HA:

Other than the shake & bake wobble, everything else is tops. Smooth, silent, awesome paint & interior, fit & finish, etc. Classy truck. And my tarantula legs enjoy stepping on a board, up & over more than down into a car.