Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GMC to drop TV, harness the power of the interwebs to market Granite. You know, if it gets built.

5 posts in this topic

GMC to drop TV, harness the power of the interwebs to market Granite. You know, if it gets built.

GMC has always been General Motors' truck and SUV marque, but the brand could break new ground if it decides to build a small urban vehicle based on the Granite concept from the 2010 Detroit Auto Show. The Granite would likely be smaller and less rough-and-tumble than any other vehicle in the GMC lineup while also carrying a lower base price tag. If GM's "Professional Grade" brand builds a Granite-like vehicle it could take the marketing road less traveled; television-less advertising.

Buick-GMC advertising director Steve Rosenblum has reportedly told Automotive News that the next step for GMC could be a four-passenger vehicle that slots below the Terrain, and the Granite certainly fits that bill. Rosenblum went on to hypothesize that a Granite-sized vehicle would be heavily marketed to car buyers under age 35, and that its marketing campaign could be focused almost entirely on the Internet. And the tried-and-true "Professional Grade" tagline? GMC could exclude it from Granite ads, says Rosenblum. Hmmm...

GMC could also focus its marketing dollars on "smart phone" advertising. Rosenblum says that by 2011, two-thirds of cell phone users under age 40 will own a smart phone. One application the ad team designed is a brochure for the Granite with bar code designs that can be read by smart phones. The codes would then lead interested parties to a website with features about the Granite, along with a social networking site where interested parties could chat with designers.

Is the Granite a smart direction for GM to be taking with GMC, or is it a bridge too far? Have your say in Comments.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/18/gmc-to-drop-tv-harness-the-power-of-the-interwebs-to-market-gra/

With all the old people driving the Element and Xb they ad better market in the AARP magazine too.

GM needs not to make the same mistake that Honda and Scion did by thinking only collage kids would buy. By the loks of things the under 50 crowd is in the minority.

I don't know what the actual figures are, but it seems that most people under 40 typically buy used cars. Most new car owners I know have been older people who aren't raising a family and have started to earn bigger amounts of money. People under 30 (such as myself) are paying college bills and just starting out, they don't have big money to spend. If they did, I can't see many buying this car. Like the Scion, its a great car for older folks who have things to carry around with them, but why would a young person buy this when they could have a nice Camaro/Mustang/Challenger, or a Fit/Fiesta/etc or even a nice used car for $20-25k?

Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but I see this as another youthful car for older buyers.

I don't know what the actual figures are, but it seems that most people under 40 typically buy used cars. Most new car owners I know have been older people who aren't raising a family and have started to earn bigger amounts of money. People under 30 (such as myself) are paying college bills and just starting out, they don't have big money to spend. If they did, I can't see many buying this car. Like the Scion, its a great car for older folks who have things to carry around with them, but why would a young person buy this when they could have a nice Camaro/Mustang/Challenger, or a Fit/Fiesta/etc or even a nice used car for $20-25k?

Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but I see this as another youthful car for older buyers.

They have tried to sell the boxes as activity vehicles to the you. You know a dorm room on wheels is often quoted.

the fact is the older people like them since they are affordable, easy to drive, easy to get in and out of and have room to haul things that they can't haul in any of the new cars.

I agree the young want sporty and don't really care for practical. THey all see car seat soon enough and need to live while they can. I got my first two seater when i was 22 years old because I could live with it with no problem. I also could afford to buy a new truck at the same time too. It was nice to have money and buy two new cars in two years Cash! When you are single you also have more mad money for the impractical.

Edited by hyperv6

With all the old people driving the Element and Xb they ad better market in the AARP magazine too.

GM needs not to make the same mistake that Honda and Scion did by thinking only collage kids would buy. By the loks of things the under 50 crowd is in the minority.

+1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0