Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Langues?

mute

How many languages are you speaking /in the process of learning  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How many languages are you speaking /in the process of learning

• 10 +

french, spanish, russian, portugese, english

not all of em perfect but im can understand all of em spoken and i can speak a bit of french spanizh and portugese and write a bit of french and spanish

i cannot write russian but i can speak it moderately

I can barely speak and write english.

besides I really dont see a need to learn another language. like Spanish. Thats why I get pissed off when i buy a tv and i cant find the english part in the manual to set the channels or use the fricking remote.

(Here probably comes an up roar of hate posts)

In order of fluency:

English

Italian (always spoken at home)

Spanish (been to Spanish speaking countries and have enough Spanish speaking friends to have pushed up to fluency level)

Portuguese (conversant; had no problems last summer in Portugal as a result)

French (conversant; 3 yrs in high school with A's, not enough chance to practice, overtaken in desire and ability by Portuguese, also decided I don't like the French now that I've been there, but I do like the Quebecois)

Comments:

1 - no desire to learn other languages besides these - the above is NOT a big feat as they are all on the same root and have common words

2 - I'll bet Nick speaks Spanish very well

AS XP puts it... I don't habla. (make sure to pronounce the H)

I speak English, I know "un petit peu" of French, and "hablo español" even less...but I throw it out there.  Often.

What he said, plus Cantonese Chinese. I've taken four years of Spanish, but if any Hispanic ever heard me trying, I think they'd snort, point, and openly laugh.

In order of fluency:

English

Italian (always spoken at home)

Spanish (been to Spanish speaking countries and have enough Spanish speaking friends to have pushed up to fluency level)

Portuguese (conversant; had no problems last summer in Portugal as a result)

French (conversant; 3 yrs in high school with A's, not enough chance to practice, overtaken in desire and ability by Portuguese, also decided I don't like the French now that I've been there, but I do like the Quebecois)

Comments:

1 - no desire to learn other languages besides these -  the above is NOT a big feat as they are all on the same root and have common words

2 - I'll bet Nick speaks Spanish very well

if you speak 5 then why am i the only one with 5 on the poll?

In process of learning French.

Call me ignorant if you wish, but I will hesitate to learn a non-phonetic language for as long a spossible. If I can't look at it and have an idea of what to do with it, not interested yet.

7 years of French.. and I still don't know the language.

Starting next year.. I hope to start Chinese (either Cantonese or Mandarin...whatever my college is teaching)

I hope to visit the country one day. I want to be a little prepared when I do.

if you speak 5 then why am i the only one with 5 on the poll?

I counted Portuguese and French as .5 each.

Eu falo quatro e meia idiomas, mais o menos

je parle plus o moins quatre langues e demi

Still, I couldn't get on effortlessly in France or Portugal the way I do in Italy or Spain/So. America.

Cool idea for a thread.

Ich spreche meistens englisches.  Deutscher bildet keinen Spaß.  Deutscher ist zum rememer die Semantik und die Syntax hart. Ich spreche deutsches wenig.

German is a kick, though I have no desire to learn it. It's so entertainingly guttural. I could listen to Dr. Ruth for hours -- just for her accent.

First thing I learned in German (sitting in a coffee shop in Champaign IL with an Austrian grad student and I pointed across the street - how do you describe that person in German?)

Response:

"Ine gros schwarze frau"

Later learned:

"Der Italianer sind lustig und verruckt"

Edited by trinacriabob

ahh yo farle portuges

i meant how many do you know so that it can be used practically and how many your learning and pursuing learning

i dont mean effortlessly i mean enough to get by with less than 5 major misunderstandings a day lol

It's a great love for the topic and my intense interest in the language / people / cultures of those places. I'm a little limited in that regard: those places are the closest to my roots and obnoxiously forward Mediterranean personal style, so I want to "dig in." In some ways, I would have much rather been a college professor of 1 or more of these languages than do what I do on a daily basis.

I took 2 yrs Spanish in HS and 2 yrs in college..I can read Spanish better than I can speak it... I need to brush up on it, as it is fast on it's way to becoming the unofficial second language in the US.

I want to learn Italian..I've learned enough phrases to get around (I've been there twice) and I want to learn more as I want to go back again...same with French.

Besides American English, I can also speak British English and Canadian English.. :)

Edited by moltar

How about Australian English?  Yikes. (Sorry, James B, from those of us across the water with a "twang")

I haven't been there yet or worked with any one from Oz, so I haven't had a chance to pick up the distinctions.. after working with a group of Canadians for the last 4 years, I find myself saying prOcess, prOject, aboot, agAIN without thinking about it... :)

1. English

2. Spanish (I'm from California and Latino)

3. French (college)

4. German (more college)

5. Japanese ( weakest of all but 4 of my friends growing up from Grade school- on were Japanese or 1/2 Japanese so I had a lot of parents speaking to me in this)

I speak English and since I took 2 years of it in high school, a very limited out of French. Due to the fact that I changed my major I have to learn a language. I'm thinking about Arabic since it will guarantee a job for a fairly long time (I'd love to work for the government) but it all depends on whether I stay in school or not.