Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
balthazar

1986 Monte Carlo SS

14 posts in this topic

Offering this here first, for a friend. Will have more pics within a few days.

MC SS, Z37 code, black with grey cloth/ vinyl interior. Brand new GM crate 350 motor w/ Edelbrock SP2 intake, Accel/MSD ignition. Body in excellent shape overall, some minor repairs needed: a few dings/ rust bubbles, only rot is in pass rear quarter, otherwise fenders & rockers are excellent. Clear coat is peeling on the hood & decklid. Rubber/plastic body pieces (nose/ spoiler) are excellent. 15" AR 200-S rims in excellent shape. Interior needs some TLC (headliner, minor bits, good cleaning) but doesn't smell at all. Has a trunkful of brand new brake parts (rotors, drums, pads, shoes, hardware, cylinders, hoses, backing plates) plus some other new parts. Undercarriage looks excellent. LSD rear, I believe these came with 3.73s. Clear title. $3900.

86MCSS1.jpg

Ugh, yer killing me. ;-)

Where is it at? How is the nose holding up?

My GF loves these (and so do I).

Car is in the town of Middlesex, NJ, near New Brunswick, in Middlesex County. That's in central NJ.

I can show it to whomever is interested during 'business hours'.

Nose is very nice, straight, just some very tiny stress cracks @ the upper corners by the fender edges, and down by the turn signal openings. Should be easy to remedy.

As those who might kno me from this board could attest; I'm not attracted to '80s cars, but I have to admit this one is pretty slick. Twice I caught myself behind the wheel making motor sounds. ;)

Edited by balthazar

As those who might kno me from this board could attest; I'm not attracted to '80s cars, but I have to admit this one is pretty slick. Twice I caught myself behind the wheel making motor sounds. ;)

Yeah, I prefer the '64-'74 era, but to me, these G-bodys were the last TRUE musclecars.

Only the '04-'06 GTO and new Challenger come close, but they feel line pony cars to me, as with the Mustang and Camaro. And muscle cars don't have four doors, so the Impala SS and G8 aren't really muscle cars to me, either.

If I was working and had room, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. No pun intended.

These G-bodies do feel like the last musclecars (of the original defintion) except for one thing- not much power. Poking around the 'net I saw : 180-HP 305 HO & quarter mile in 15.5. Not that that can't be easily remedied, of course.

Big power was the only thing they lacked WRT being musclecars.

Seems this one has taken a step in the right direction in that department.

I had an '86 (in '87) - nice car.

In going thru Olds ads this weekend, I have to commend Olds for keep a 'performance' flame alight a LOT more than I recalled. But the '83 Hurst/Olds was a wild, impressive car (Lightning Rods FTW!)- it looked great and aggressive.... but was saddled w/ the same meager HP (vs. today). Imagine these babies w/ circa 325 HP instead of 180.

Agreed!

I imagined such things often when I owned these cars (yeah, I had some plans). I remember an article about a guy that bought a new Monte SS ('86, I think), and yanked the motor with 2 miles on it. He replaced it with a real ZL-1 big block 427!

What could have been...

As for the 442s, they had a great exhaust rumble even with the anemic 307s. That's what made me look twice at the G-bodies.

Back then I heard a rumble behind me one day and was shocked to see that it was coming from a new 442!

I stopped what I was doing and just stared a while.

The real crime against these G-bodies was that they were cheated out of the TBI and TPI engines of the day that were bringing some real performance back.

Major missed opportunity there.

Edited by Camino LS6

I assume by '83-84 when these came out that the planning for the FWD '88s was already rolling... so even putting TPI on these would not have stayed their execution, I believe (maybe by a year).

I would be all over that car if I wasn't so preoccupied with other things. I really love the MC/SS, especially in black or white. And your friend really made the right decision with ridding the car of the anemic 305. '80s model computer-carburetor engines are junk.

Edited by whiteknight

I assume by '83-84 when these came out that the planning for the FWD '88s was already rolling... so even putting TPI on these would not have stayed their execution, I believe (maybe by a year).

It wouldn't have stopped the execution, but they would have sold more cars.

305 TPI swaps are quite easily done one G-Body cars (as are LT1 swaps). I've seen a few and it's a very logical swap to make. It wasn't like it was a engineering nightmare for GM to do either; they could have and should have.

I could almost guarantee that a theoretical 305 TPI MC/SS could be found in good mechanical condition today versus the CCC 305 H.O. models. Look at the F-Body cars for proof of that.

Edited by whiteknight

>>"It wouldn't have stopped the execution, but they would have sold more cars."<<

Perhaps. BTW; Chevy sold 41,164 SSs in '86. I would've guess about half that, but again- it's me & the '80s.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0