Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM challenges Ford to heavy-duty pickup tug of war

6 posts in this topic

GM challenges Ford to heavy-duty pickup tug of war

Pickuptrucks.com sat down with Tom Stephens, General Motors' vice chairman of global product operations at the Detroit Auto Show, and during the course of the conversation, Stephens began espousing the virtues of the General's new Duramax diesel, due to be fitted to the 2011 Chevrolet and GMC Heavy Duty pickups.

Obviously, it's not rare for an exec to speak highly of a new engine, but in a rare moment of brand fervor, Stephens issued a challenge:

"You know what I want to do to prove it? I want to take our truck and Ford's [new Super Duty] and chain them together back-to-back. Then I want to have them pull against each other. I know our truck will beat theirs."

After making sure Stephens was serious, the site's intrepid editor, Mike Levine, contacted Ford to see if it was interested in the challenge. He hasn't gotten an official response yet, but he's ready to play referee and set up an event in Texas to pit the two H-D haulers against each other. Consider the gauntlet thrown. Ford? We anxiously await your response...

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/19/gm-challenges-ford-to-heavy-duty-pickup-tug-of-war/

The only way he'd know that was if he's already done it.

I like this new GM style of going around picking fights.

I've always viewed the whole truck "tug of war" as pretty silly. I'll all comes down to traction and weight (more weight giving more traction). Heck, all Ford has to do is drop the pressure in the Super Duty's tires down to half of stock pressure and they'll have the upper advantage instantly. Height of the chain hook up will play in also. The truck with the taller hitch point will pull up on the truck with the lower hitch point causing a slight loss of traction to the rear wheels.

Whatever.... Load em down each with a large enclosed trailer loaded with 20k lbs and run em at a drag strip to the 1/4 mile, that'll show true power.

This kinda reminds me of the Ford "28 mph box flex test video" that we all saw awhile back. Why 28mpg? Bcause that's the speed that the harmonics work best for Ford's suspension.

Edited by BuddyP

It also comes down to the type of tires being used. We know Ford's truck has higher towing capacity as fact. So this would be a stupid but amusing test.

the chain hookup point is very good, though I imagine they'd set a rule that everything has to be as delivered.

I am sure they have already tried this with very good results. They would never make a challange they knew they could not win.

By making the challange they look good in not just making the Challange but in Ford not accepting and if they do winning because they already know the results.

The bottom line it makes for some good press even if it does not happen.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0