Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Officially Official: Mini unleashes the floodgates on Countryman crossover

21 posts in this topic

Filed under: Crossover, Mini

minicountryman000opt.jpg
Mini Countryman - Click above for high-res image gallery

Following yesterday's leaked images and teaser video, Mini has today officially opened the floodgates of pictures and information on its new Countryman crossover. According to parent company BMW, the Countryman is "a new dimension" and "genuine crossover [that] bridges the gap between the classic concept of the Mini and a modern Sports Activity Vehicle." Judging from the images, it's hard to argue with that assessment.

As you can see, the Countryman gets four regularly hinged doors plus one conventional tailgate. We can also see that the CUV sits a bit higher off the ground than other Mini models and the company says it's raised the seating position a smidge. The other big alteration from Mini's previous models is the addition of all-wheel drive that can send up to 100 percent of the torque to the rear wheels.

Speaking of torque, the Countryman seems likely to get the full suite of available Mini engines both here in the United States and abroad. That means we'll see both a normally aspirated 1.6-liter as well as a turbocharged 1.6 that will come with fully variable valve timing for the first time, bumping power to 184 horsepower. Unfortunately we can't say for sure if the U.S. model will get that power increase, or the Brake Energy Regeneration and Auto Start Stop features that Europeans enjoy.

Inside, the Countryman gets a typically Mini-esque dash, door panels and seat designs and is available with the brand's first-ever three-across rear bench. That back seat is a split-folding design, and cargo capacity jumps from 350 to 1,170 liters (12.2-41.0 cu ft) when it's down. There's plenty more to glean from the official press release - so typical of Mini (read it all the way through for a good morning laugh) - after the break, and be sure to check out our high-res image gallery below. We'll know more details, like pricing and availability, when the Countryman makes its official debut at the Geneva Motor Show in early March.

Gallery: Mini Countryman

minicountryman000_thumbnail.jpgminicountryman001_thumbnail.jpgminicountryman002_thumbnail.jpgminicountryman003_thumbnail.jpgminicountryman004_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Mini]

Continue reading Officially Official: Mini unleashes the floodgates on Countryman crossover

Officially Official: Mini unleashes the floodgates on Countryman crossover originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=TmLZ8qVY8j8:De8Umnm4vNw:wF9xT autoblog?i=TmLZ8qVY8j8:De8Umnm4vNw:V_sGL
TmLZ8qVY8j8

View the full article

Mini + Nox now that's a very bad combo I thought I get to see Mini do their version of Chevy's Nomad but this is not what I'd want in a wagon. Too tall it's just wrong IMHO.

Edited by 67impss

In a wierd kind of way I like it. The four-passenger seating would kill it for me though. Definitely want to check it out, I guess at the NYIAS in April?

BASTARDIZING A BRAND. IDIOTS. LIKE THE CLUBMAN WASNT BAD ENOUGH

So this is the size of what, a Suburban?:huh:

BASTARDIZING A BRAND. IDIOTS. LIKE THE CLUBMAN WASNT BAD ENOUGH

Ummmm.....the Clubman and Countryman date back to the 60's. Thats like saying GM is bastardizing the Camaro nameplate by offering a convertible.

Ummmm.....the Clubman and Countryman date back to the 60's. Thats like saying GM is bastardizing the Camaro nameplate by offering a convertible.

I have to side with Satty on this one.

If this were done Clubman-style (2-door), I'd find it pretty interesting.

I have to side with Satty on this one.

Agree on both counts. Mini is a good take on the bastardization called crossovers.

while staying sized right for a "mini".. i don't think this is bad.

i'd like to see specs to directly compare side by side the differences. assuming it's just a 4door slightly taller/bigger (and whatever room/weight comes with it)... it'd still be a ton of fun, more so with the turbo.

trying to make a real off-road vehicle out of the mini brand would be sooooo much worse than this.

I kind of like it. I'm not against the Mini brand branching out at all. I welcome it.

Thats an idea I can get behind.

Sounds like we need a chop, Satty.

This vehicle makes it so relevant the discussion we had about one small platform for GM a while ago.

I'm not a fan of this car. The styling looks like a Mini Compass. I don't like the regular Mini interior, and this version isn't much improved.

It's gonna be expensive, doubtless.

Oooohh...so THAT'S what they meant when they all said 'How are you going to do a restyle on a retro design??'

Edited by balthazar

I'm not a fan of this car. The styling looks like a Mini Compass. I don't like the regular Mini interior, and this version isn't much improved.

why don't we just call it retarded and end the thread.

It's gonna be expensive, doubtless.

a pointless market segment entry. the question nobody asked.

brand marketers dreaming up new ways to justify their existence.

zarella esque minis, yay