SMART

I hope that smart comes to the U.S. It's a cool little brand with big economy, and one of my peers from Quincy is ga-ga for the fortwo model.

I see at least one a day on my commute to Pickering. They have some very interesting interior colour options, I almost always notice the interior. It definately stands out when your car is black and grey, and the interior is grey and neon lime green!! On a side note, I'm really surprised how many of the new Outbacks I'm seeing.

....yeah.....SMARTs here are no news....I've seen a TON of them in L.A. and O.C.....all with "mfgr/dist" plates..... I think it could do well here....not just in cities like Chicago, San Francisco, and New York, but also very spread out places like southern California. We have 8-12 lane freeways and massive semi trucks.....and the SMART would be great to zip in and out of L.A. traffic.... Plus, if you did live near one of the congested beach cities like Laguna, Newport, Huntington, Manhattan, Santa Monica, Venice, and Malibu, the SMART would be great to zip around town in....!

The guy from 60 minutes tried out the Smart in the big city. He found it quite practical because he could park it sideways and most places only demanded ½price.

And the fuel economy is great!

[post="10772"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

so long as he didn't get a side impact hit from a suburban at 40 mph.......

so long as he didn't get a side impact hit from a suburban at 40 mph.......

[post="11100"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You know that accidents are the exception rather than the rule right? Besides, at 40 a Suburban would rip through many cars, including anything in your beloved Mitsubishi line.

The SMART makes sense in crowded cities, offer them out here in the middle of nowhere, I dont think sales will rise. How much money do people in NY/Chicago/LA pay for cabs/buses/trains? I'm sure that the SMART would, in the long run, save them some money. I'd pick one up to deliver in because they're small, economical, and seriously, is there a bigger chick magnet? Well, there probably is, but a woman who likes a man who is into space and fuel efficiency wouldn't be a bad thing. And if she like 'em small, I've definately got it there. :( :P :blink: :unsure:

In my area, Smart cars are as numerous as flies. Heck they kind of look like flies. Many opt for the cabriolet. You can't help but gawk at them as they drive by. They seem to me, to be a boutique car, a fashion statement. I would think twice about driving a car like this on the freeway and never on the open highway.

Posted Image

I'll take one with a GSXR-1000 swap, motorcycle-ish fuel ecconomy with Mitsu Evo FQ speed.

[post="11383"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And you'll look like a Power Ranger in the process, too. I have to admit, though, you need a $200K+ supercar just to get the hi-rev excitement of a $10,000 motorcycle.

And you'll look like a Power Ranger in the process, too. I have to admit, though, you need a $200K+ supercar just to get the hi-rev excitement of a $10,000 motorcycle.

[post="11446"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I want one just so I can see the look on people's faces after I take them to the cleaners in SMART car. They also make a Mini with an R1 engine

I like Smarts... Something about them intrigue me. They're just so... small, but that's why they're cool. I like small... They're kind of like a mix between an ATV and a car.

I'll take one with a GSXR-1000 swap, motorcycle-ish fuel ecconomy with Mitsu Evo FQ speed.

They also make a Mini with an R1 engine

That would be awesome... :D

So everyone should go buy a Park Avenue or DTS?

[post="11316"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

a cobalt or ion or focus can more than hold its own on the interstates at customary cruising speeds. and, if there's a crosswind, they won't blow off the road, either.

that's ok, if anyone in the US is driving a smart, hopefully their insurance rates are adjusted appropriately (i.e. MUCH HIGHER), so when the carnage does occur, we're not all stuck paying for the miscalculation. Edited by regfootball

a cobalt or ion or focus can more than hold its own on the interstates at customary cruising speeds.  and, if there's a crosswind, they won't blow off the road, either.

that's ok, if anyone in the US is driving a smart, hopefully their insurance rates are adjusted appropriately (i.e. MUCH HIGHER), so when the carnage does occur, we're not all stuck paying for the miscalculation.

[post="11682"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm sure they would be safer on the road than past small cars (remember shitboxes like the Geo Metro and Chevette?).... Smarts are engineered for safety..

• 2 weeks later...
In DCX's own crash test results, the smart fortwo, when involved in an off-set frontal impact with a Mercedes-Benz E-Class at 45 mph, the little sucker just bounced off. I was surprised.