Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Gearhead Performance Group plans another Camaro-based Trans Am replica

13 posts in this topic

Gearhead Performance Group plans another Camaro-based Trans Am replica

How many Chevrolet Camaro-based Pontiac Trans Am replicas can what we assume to be a rather small market support? We've already seen Kevin Morgan's Phoenix T/A revival as well as our personal favorite, the Lingenfelter 455 T/A Concept that we saw last November at the annual SEMA Show in Vegas, and now it seems that we can add a third Trans Am to the growing list of replicas, this one from Gearhead Performance Group.

One thing that certainly caught our attention that the Gearhead T/A will supposedly offer as an option is a 900 horsepower 6.2 liter twin turbo LS9 V8 engine. Besides that, we see the typical and fully expected split front grille, fender vents, ducktail spoiler and snowflake wheels. There will also be a gaud gold-accented interior option for the ultimate in 1970s style. Just add a CB radio and you'll be good to go.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/20/gearhead-performance-group-plans-another-camaro-based-trans-am-r/

I can only hope the aftermarket can finally cook up a nice Camaro to Firebird conversion -- or better yet, one can come from the Oshawa plant in the near future ...

There is a market for a Poncho-badged sports coupe. Killing Pontiac will always be a big GM blunder.

Yawn!

Come on I wish these guys would give it up!

Edited by hyperv6

It's clear that there is a market for such a car.

It's also clear no one has been able to ace the execution of such a car.

Saw this one in Hot Rod yesterday- a quickie & it shows.

Edited by balthazar

Absolute waste of time and money. Some people are such idiots.

Using the F5 Camaro as a base, only a first gen styled Firebird will work.

Why is that so hard to understand?

This is so true and a 69 is the one best suited for it too. A 69 TA would look good on this.

But even then it would need a entire new front clip and other things to make it right. Then the issue of money comes in. At this point if you are going to spend that much other cars like a C6, Shelby and even any of the Tuner Camaro's become a viable option to just a rebodied Camaro many will forget in a few years.

There is a market for this car at the price of the donor Camaro not at the price of a Shelby, Future Z28 or C6.

Because everybody wants a Bandit car as this is what most people think of when you say Trans Am.

Because everybody wants a Bandit car as this is what most people think of when you say Trans Am.

In which case, they shouldn't bother at all.

These half-breeds do a disservice to both bodystyles.

Well, Smokey and the Bandit helped the T/A achieve icon status, so of course that particular late '70s T/A is what most people think of first when they think "Trans Am."

Do I think these conversions are good? Honestly, no, not really. They've all left me feeling a little cold. However, according to the Hot Rod article mentioned earlier, which I have next to me, the Kevin Morgan team is considering pursuing a '69-inspired Camaro conversion (yes, finally) and the Lingenfelter team is already developing another take on the F5 Firebird theme. Let's see how things pan out for round two.

The picture in that link makes for one ugly TA.

Edited by RjION

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0