Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Report: AMG pondering RWD performance version of small FWD Benz

26 posts in this topic

Filed under: Mercedes-Benz, Rumormill

20mbsls63amgfdopt.jpgWhen we think of AMG, the first thing that comes to mind is a herculean 6.3-liter V8 engine that delivers hellacious thrust. We don't give rear-wheel drive much think time because with Mercedes-Benz and AMG, it's a given. That will change for Mercedes in the next couple years with the introduction of a new family of small, premium front-wheel-drive vehicles.

A report from Motor Trend claims that the next Mercedes A-Class and B-Class are reportedly among five new FWD vehicles based on the German automaker's forthcoming MFA platform. But while FWD platforms may be essential to Mercedes-Benz's goal of 1.5 million vehicles per year by 2015, MT tells us that AMG wants nothing of it. AMG will reportedly re-engineer the MFA platform for rear-wheel drive for future performance applications. That's right, you've read that correctly-re-engineer a front-wheel-drive platform for rear-wheel-drive fun. That sounds expensive and a bit impractical to us, but apparently the idea has legs within the hallowed halls of Mercedes' performance unit.

We figure the 6.3-liter is out of the question too, and MT says insiders at AMG insist that a turbocharged four-cylinder engine could be tuned to deliver the over the top torque and horsepower that customers have come to expect. Word is that a decision to modify the MFA platform for RWD is due by the end of the month, and we know what we're hoping for.

[source: Motor Trend]

Report: AMG pondering RWD performance version of small FWD Benz originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=ASZSlmpQgZY:s1BQfNnMKok:wF9xT autoblog?i=ASZSlmpQgZY:s1BQfNnMKok:V_sGL
ASZSlmpQgZY

View the full article

Good for AMG, I see they have higher standards than Mercedes does. It's certainly possible though expensive to convert a FWD platform to RWD (unless its designed for it like the early LH apparently platform was), but then again AMG products aren't cheap anyway, so who cares.

At least the Mercedes FWD models are just the small, entry level stuff (A- and B- class). The good stuff is still RWD. Though the FWD stuff should have been under the Smart brand, IMHO.

AMG is smart.

I just took a ride in an ambulance to the hospital, got checked in, examined, X-rayed, tested, evaluated, medicated & released... since my last post.... for chronic unstoppable gasping.

HOW COULD THIS BE ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

>>"Mercedes-Benz's goal of 1.5 million vehicles per year by 2015"<<

^ Of course, this is the motivation. mercedes does not compete in the FWD segments, and how many frickin more variants of the same few vehicles can mercedes pawn off on the market?? Anyone else have TWO nearly identical 2-seat roadsters in their portfolio ?

Everyone remember mercedes' slogan of a few years ago : 'In a perfect world, there'd be a mercedes in every driveway/garage' ?? {shudders}

Anyone thinking, suddenly, of toyoyo, by chance ??

Greed greed greed, and the inevitable undoing of another auto company. Should be fantastic fun to watch this one.

^ Of course, this is the motivation. mercedes does not compete in the FWD segments, and how many frickin more variants of the same few vehicles can mercedes pawn off on the market?? Anyone else have TWO nearly identical 2-seat roadsters in their portfolio ?

Everyone remember mercedes' slogan of a few years ago : 'In a perfect world, there'd be a mercedes in every driveway/garage' ?? {shudders}

Anyone thinking, suddenly, of toyoyo, by chance ??

Greed greed greed, and the inevitable undoing of another auto company. Should be fantastic fun to watch this one.

Sure they will reach that goal if they bring the prices down by 30%. MB, Audi, and BMW the overpriced, overhyped, overvalued, underperforming, trio of automobiles.

Hasn't the A-class been FWD since it was introduced in '97? I'd think 13 years is more than enough time for the shock to wear off.

Hasn't the A-class been FWD since it was introduced in '97? I'd think 13 years is more than enough time for the shock to wear off.

Yes. They called it the sandwich platform. What more, it was bashed for its rollover problems in EU nearly destroying MB reputation.

I wouldn't think you can blame rollover results on FWD more than the awkward tall, narrow and short design.

I wouldn't think you can blame rollover results on FWD more than the awkward tall, narrow and short design.

I was giving the history of the car. Yes the "tall boy" design with tiny 14" wheels were the main culprits. MB added stability control, bigger wheels, and stronger structure to prevent the rollovers.

Yes...I drove one in Italy a few years ago, decent little turd, but nothing special. For a Mercedes, the least I'd consider is a C-class.

Well, in Europe, they do compete in most every market segment...from the tiny A-class to ultra luxury models, SUVs, minivans, delivery vans, light trucks, semi trucks...been that way a long time.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

What do you mean, 'two nearly identical 2-seat roadsters'?? The SLK and SL are considerably different in design, size, and price point. The SLK is the entry level Z4 and Boxster competitor, the SL is high end...

The aforementioned tagline was on their USA website a few years ago..

-- -- -- -- --

So the A- & B- have been and will continue to be FWD... what are the other 3 "new FWD vehicles" ??? Doesn't 'C' come after 'B' ? ;)

The aforementioned tagline was on their USA website a few years ago..

-- -- -- -- --

So the A- & B- have been and will continue to be FWD... what are the other 3 "new FWD vehicles" ??? Doesn't 'C' come after 'B' ? ;)

Well, they had a 3rd one in Europe, the V-class mini MPV Vaneo. They will probably do a new version of it, and maybe a s mall B-class size sedan, and something else. It's too bad they didn't put all of these in the Smart range.

A FWD C-class would be a bad move, when compared to BMW and others. That would be as bad as if GM used Delta II for their new small Cadillac (ATS?).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I dunno- the piece already mentioned the B-class- whould they really bring out a 2nd overlapping B-class car ??

They have to ask themselves whether sales... or remaining RWD is more important. By the piece above, sounds like sales are it, baby.

M-B has already muddied their lineup with (seemingly) a dozen SUV/ CUVs, an ancient military cast-off and an outright minivan, plus they're now apeing Cadillac's A&S language increasingly.... FWD may be the next last frontier. I can see it now: "The Mercedes-Benz of FWD generica!"

God- this is so exciting !!

Edited by balthazar

I dunno- the piece already mentioned the B-class- whould they really bring out a 2nd overlapping B-class car ?

The current B-class is a wagon-ish 5dr. Maybe a B-class sedan also?

They have to ask themselves whether sales... or remaining RWD is more important. By the piece above, sounds like sales are it, baby.

Yeah, they cast off Chrysler which was supposed to be their volume profit center. Didn't work. Smart hasn't been as big as they hoped either...

>>"The current B-class is a wagon-ish 5dr. Maybe a B-class sedan also?"<<

Stands to reason that would be on the same platform, not a new one.

When are these 14"-wheel lil' daimlers coming to the US ?? It's gotta be in the cards, with the importance of the US market.

>>"The current B-class is a wagon-ish 5dr. Maybe a B-class sedan also?"<<

Stands to reason that would be on the same platform, not a new one.

When are these 14"-wheel lil' daimlers coming to the US ?? It's gotta be in the cards, with the importance of the US market.

Well, the B-class is already in Canada, so I'm sure it and the A- ..will be here eventually..

FWD makes sense when space efficiency is a priority, like it is on the A- and B-class MPVs.

The C-class sedan will stay RWD.

YAY!! The FWD mercedes' are COMING !!!

:dance::dance::dance:

'bout friggin' time; everybody :wub: FWD !!

Edited by balthazar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room