Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: GMC Canyon sales rise in MA thanks to senator's win (w/video)

31 posts in this topic

Report: GMC Canyon sales rise in MA thanks to senator's win (w/video)

Never underestimate the power of a celebrity endorsement. Or, for that matter, a political one. Massachusetts senator-elect Scott Brown ® won an unprecedented victory Tuesday in the state's special election to replace Ted Kennedy, and he reportedly earned extra brownie points from voters for promising to keep his staid 2005 GMC Canyon pickup truck with over 200,000 miles on the clock as his daily driver in office.

"I'm Scott Brown, I'm from Wrentham, and I drive a truck," the candidate had been known to say. This was especially true after President Obama quipped that voters should "look under the hood" in reference to Brown's candidacy. Apparently, that nice, average guy persona sat well with the state's population – so much so that area dealerships are reportedly noting an increased level of interest in the oft-overlooked pickup truck from The General.

Al Cerrone, owner of a local GMC dealership, claims, "We've gotten eight to 12 phone calls from people asking, 'Do you sell trucks like that?''' To which we can only imagine he responded with, "Yes we can!" Click past the break to watch a video from Scott Brown's campaign featuring his GMC Canyon pickup truck. Thanks for the tip, Phil!

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/22/report-gmc-canyon-sales-rise-in-ma-thanks-to-senators-win-w-v/

Excellent all around!:)

I saw his him speak after he was declared the winner. I saw people in the crowd with signs that said I love the truck! followed by th network showing the GMC in the driveway. This is publicity you can't buy.

This is is the kind of stimulas that works and is very low investment. Lets just hope he is better at driving over bridges as that seems to be a problem for some in MA. :scratchchin:

Does that men GMC is not the Political Grade Truck? :lol:

The dude tried whoring out his daughters in his acceptance speech, seems like I could make a corollary joke, but I shant.

It's borderline frightening that a person would actually consider buying a vehicle they paid no attention to before, merely because someone seen on TV does in an anecdotal manner. Oh well, it works for BMW & mercedes, why not ? ;)

The dude tried whoring out his daughters in his acceptance speech, seems like I could make a corollary joke, but I shant.

I'm glad you and I saw this the same way. I put it up on facebook but I forgot about posting it here.

Kind of shows a lack of commitment on GMC's part if the only way the citizens of Mass know the Canyon exists is to see it on a political ad. GM marketing at its finest, blah.

"My" former BG dealer has at least four new Canyons in stock right now, more than I've seen there in like forever. I just rode through last night and checked out a Merlot Jewel SLE-1 ext cab 4X4, pretty truck, but alas it was a 2.9L.

Kind of shows a lack of commitment on GMC's part if the only way the citizens of Mass know the Canyon exists is to see it on a political ad. GM marketing at its finest, blah.

"My" former BG dealer has at least four new Canyons in stock right now, more than I've seen there in like forever. I just rode through last night and checked out a Merlot Jewel SLE-1 ext cab 4X4, pretty truck, but alas it was a 2.9L.

Just shows the lack of development and marketing the Colorado and Canyon have recieved. Sorry but just adding a V8 was far down on the things to do list. At this point I would love to see a whole new truck.

I knew this was going to happpen, when I saw the commercial I figured this would help GM, and I was right. Anyways no matter what way you cut it this is good for GM and basically a free ad for them. Honestly I do wonder why so many people made fun of his American made truck that came from General Motors a company that we the American people own? In general there are a few things you don't do... As Jim Curcoe would say... "You don't tug on supermans cape, you spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the lone ranger, and you don't make fun of a mans truck..."

Edited by gm4life

Its just pathetic that the Canyon/Colorado are the best the domestics can do for a non-full-size pickup.

Its just pathetic that the Canyon/Colorado are the best the domestics can do for a non-full-size pickup.

The interior is what is the sad part. The actual truck itself isn't all that bad, seriously. It drives decent, has great pickup with the 5.3L and good fuel economy with the 2.9L but once inside the interior is not up to par. To be honest I always liked the Colorado/Canyon and liked the exterior as well, but the interior and lack a of six cylinder motor are the biggest down falls.

Edited by gm4life

I drove a Colorado, seats were by far the worst part about it, the rest of it was forgettable.

I love it when sheeple buy what the popular people are buying/own. I guess we should be happy its a GM product, but being happy about people blindly buying products is having a double standard, since we'd be condemning it if it was a Tacoma.

Tru dat

After the last couple of days, I am extremely impressed with the Frontier.

+1

These trucks made my old s-10 look good.

So GM sold an extra 20 trucks.......

+1

These trucks made my old s-10 look good.

So GM sold an extra 20 trucks.......

Which is better than not selling any extra...

I drove a Colorado, seats were by far the worst part about it, the rest of it was forgettable.

I love it when sheeple buy what the popular people are buying/own. I guess we should be happy its a GM product, but being happy about people blindly buying products is having a double standard, since we'd be condemning it if it was a Tacoma.

Just wondering - is the Canyon/Colorado even a domestic pick up? I'm currently abroad and I see diesel Isuzu versions of exactly the same truck, used quite frequently for all sorts of work.

IIRC They were developed i partnership with Isuzu, I think Isuzu's is called the D-Max.

I will say it again as owner of FIVE S-10 pickups and one Colorado (so far) : the interior plastics are better on the Colorado than on all of my S-10s, with a silkier feel as opposed to the hard, creaky stuff in the S-10. The dash is molded in color, as opposed to painted in the later model S-10. Just because the dash is simple and rather plain in the Colorado, does not mean it is made cheap. It's a truck, for God's sake.

At least GM's compact truck is small enough to offer the 4 cylinder in the extended cab 4X4. I think you have to get a V6 in the competitors' extended cabs, which hurts maintenance and economy, if that is your goal.

I do like the Frontier, too, even if I am put off by the fishnet upholstery. It has also gotten big, like the Tacoma.

I just wish none of the "small" trucks got so "big" as to make them redundant.

With that high mileage, the Senator-elect's Canyon proves the GMT355 is a damn good truck.

Edited by ocnblu

I never had an isuse with the Engine or how the new truck drove but there was no way I would buy one just after sitting in one.

I had a loaded S10 and a loaded Sonoma. While the new GM truck has more power even with only 5 cylinders the interior could not match up to my Sonoma Trim.

Even one of my co workers has a new quad cab and his leather has gone to hell. He even talked of buying Sonoma when I sold it to lose the Colorado. It was going out warranty and he had many issues with it.

In the 3 years I had mine and 44k miles, I had a sunvisor clip lose its grip and a radio replacement, both under warranty. No other issues with a first-year truck.

My 88 S 10 only had an issue with the Throttle Position sensore 2 days before I traded it in. I had it 9 years and 100,000 miles. I paid $9,300 for it and the Dealer still gave me $4,500 on it in trade. I had already made my deal on my Sonoma and had a kiler deal already set up on it.

My 97 Sonoma was a ZQ8 with the optional 4.3. It had every option you could get. I drove it 10 years and only had to replace the AC compressor. Heck it still had the original plug wires on it and they still tested good. I sold it for $5,500 with over 100,000 miles.

Both of these truck had somethings that could have been better like the 4.3 but over all I had great service out of both. I just wish I had liked the Colorado more as I like a small truck and will not buy non GM.

Ocn, do you have any experience with the 2.9? Other than "not as powerful as the I5", do you have any complaints about it? I ask because I'm seriously mulling over this

Ocn, do you have any experience with the 2.9? Other than "not as powerful as the I5", do you have any complaints about it? I ask because I'm seriously mulling over this

So the Senator influenced you too?

In all seriousness, the Atlas engines in the Co/Ca are build as rocks. They have solid reliability and the 2.9 gives excellent fuel mileage too. I have heard people getting 26 mpg on highway cruising. You will not go wrong with that engine. It is coarse and sounds unrefined, but does the job.

Ocn may confirm that.

So the Senator influenced you too?

Nah, I'm not that kind of guy. I've actually been watching this ad for a few weeks now. They've dropped the price by $1K twice in the last two weeks. I think I'm gonna need something to handle the Home Depot runs once I close on my house. Plus, it'll be nice to have to transport >1 bike and >1 person around at the same time. If the Canyon doesn't pan out, this 04 Colorado and this 04 Blazer ZR2 are also on the table. Plus, there are also a couple of new 2WD (w/ rear locker) 2.9L ext. cab Colorados where I bought my Cobalt, and I'm sitting on 2K of GM points and 1K of owner loyalty cash. I'm hoping I can keep things affordable enough where I don't have to part with the Cobalt.

Thanks for the info.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room