2007 Hummer H3

5000 pounds + I5= too slow to get out of its own way and horrible gas mileage, not really a great combo for a daily drive that includes onramps.

Size is another factor, between changing lanes and parking spots, something that massive would be a pain in the ass. Interior space isn't great for as large as the H3 is. The H3 is longer, taller and wider than my Jetta yet has less cargo space and roughly the same passenger space. Just seems like a massive waste in the name of vanity.

I once owned (leased) a 2001 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab 4wd "Highrider" (ZR2) from May, 2001 until November, 2003 (I took advantage of a GMAC pull-ahead offer for a 2004 all-new Malibu - D'oH!!). Out of all the vehicles I've owned/leased, that is the one I miss the most. As impractical as it was - thankfully my step-son was small enough at the time to fit in the back area somewhat okay - it's the one vehicle I really enjoyed driving and going places with (it was my first GMC too). While a used Sonoma is out of the question, I was out looking at a few certified '09 GMC Canyon Crew Cab pickups this past weekend. I stumbled upon a '07 Hummer H3 in red and it got me thinking about how much the Hummer reminds me of my old Sonoma Highrider and the H3 does have a nicer interior over theCanyon/Colorado (IMO). Anyway, I was just eliciting some comments/opinions on the H3. Feel free to comment or not!

5000 pounds + I5= too slow to get out of its own way and horrible gas mileage, not really a great combo for a daily drive that includes onramps.

Size is another factor, between changing lanes and parking spots, something that massive would be a pain in the ass. Interior space isn't great for as large as the H3 is. The H3 is longer, taller and wider than my Jetta yet has less cargo space and roughly the same passenger space. Just seems like a massive waste in the name of vanity.

You do realize that I am currently driving a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham as a daily driver, right? :lol:

But you do make some valid points about the H3. Thanks!!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

and yet the FWB is likely still more maneuverable.

As well as likely getting 10mpg better on the highway. The only downside to the Caddy is that it wont climb over those 30 inch boulders or ford those 12 inch deep streams New Jersey is notorious for.

You do realize that I am currently driving a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham as a daily driver, right? :lol:

But you do make some valid points about the H3. Thanks!!

The Caddy seems like it be a lot sweeter than a HUMMER posermobile...

• Agree 3

It basically boils down to this: would rather pretend to be the President or pretend to be the Governator? I'd rather pretend to be the chief rather than the injun.

If you want rid of the Caddy and want a truck, pull the trigger on buying a low-mileage dealer demo GMC Canyon Crew Cab V8. I wouldn't dare buy any GM compact truck without the 5.3L and I wouldn't dare spend money on a new one either.

If you're looking outside of GM for a truck, I'd give a lot of thought to a 2001 or so Dakota with a 5.9L V8. They're seriously nice trucks and have what I think is a perfect amount of interior space GM didn't match with the GMT355s. My dad actually traded in his '99 Dakota SLT 5.2L 4WD extended cab recently for a low-miles 2002 Dakota SLT 5.9L 4WD crew cab model and it's a seriously great truck. This makes his third Dakota and he's had great luck out of the first two. I would, however, try to avoid a 4.9L-powered Dakota without having it checked out first. I've heard a few stories about the reliability of the 4.9L and it seems to be a hit 'n miss kind of engine.

Edited by whiteknight

i looked at the H3 for awhile.

it's unique and fun, has a nice interior. cargo is a little sparse, yes visibility is an issue.

from what i have read, the biggest issue is fuel economy. and if that comes with less than desired acceleration, then it can hurt the overall love thing.

but they did upgrade the motor, even added a turbo at some point? bonus is that you can even get one with a stick.

its not a throwaway ride. you can buy one and know you have something with value you can own for many years. its durable and tough. looks good.

i think resale on those things will be good over time. maybe not right now, but deals can be had. you won't lose much money.

hope that was some useful insight (no pun intended) for you.

honestly it would be kind of blah to get just a small truck or blazer if you could get this for similar money.

Edited by regfootball

Don't let them question your manhood because you like the H3. Drive it, then buy it if you want it.

Exactly. Find & drive one Roger. There are now some good deals on barely used ones...to the extent even I was just intrigued by a local Ford dealer having a low mileage fully decked out black '09 H3 for $25k. I think you'd really like one, Roger. Really. Not perfect, but a cool package, and would have a lot & more like that Sonoma you loved. Not a Prius, not a rocket ship, but a great smaller package with room for at least 4 comfortably enough.

So, yes from me...find & drive to yay or nay the idea :AH-HA:

A Colorado or Canyon, with the right package, could also be a ticket but of course are more truck than SUV which changes the whole cargo, etc. deal and don't have that "baja" sort of feel.

Edited by caddycruiser

Thanks everyone for your insight, input, and opinions. I will definitely find the time to park my butt in one for a test drive to rule out whether or not I could live with one on a day-to-day basis.

I love the Caddy, as presidential as it is, but one thing that has continuously irked me is that it is not a new car. It's not even from this decade!! Hahaha!! An older used car is exactly what it is, and not being mechanical I am always worried what is going to happen "next" (caddycruiser knows exactly what I'm talking about - he's my 'phone-a-friend', a'la Who Wants to be a Millionaire).

Money is tight right now, so even if I like the H3 it doesn't mean I will buy one right away. I'm just considering the options that are available should the time come. I really want a new GMC Terrain, however the one I want (SLT-2, AWD, V6) is so far from reality it isn't funny (even a SLE-2, FWD, 4cyl would be hard to come by). The Canyon is nice, but not worth the money and so far the used ones I've found haven't impressed me. And I've found some nice used Sierra's, but between the cost of a monthly payment and cost of gas, it's not doable. If I'm going to buy CPO, it has to be something I will want to drive for a long time. Like I said, I truly miss driving my '01 GMC Sonoma Highrider (see the attached picture) and the H3 reminds me so much of my Sonoma that the gears started spinning.

As for the battle for the Caddy - bring on your best offers :neenerneener:

post-418-12646165626741.jpg

I love the Caddy, as presidential as it is, but one thing that has continuously irked me is that it is not a new car. It's not even from this decade!! Hahaha!! An older used car is exactly what it is, and not being mechanical I am always worried what is going to happen "next" (caddycruiser knows exactly what I'm talking about - he's my 'phone-a-friend', a'la Who Wants to be a Millionaire).

As for the battle for the Caddy - bring on your best offers :neenerneener:

I understand completely...old vs. new...especially with the same car. Never once had an issue except the one time early on 2 miles from home, but you just keep thinking "what if". Never happened, but regardless. It's serving the purpose intended, an almost cash very, very low payment used car that may not be 110% new perfect, but a tank and for used, about as cheap and easy to maintain as you can get without it being a base pickup truck...which will work until you decide on all accounts it's time to go new or newer again.

Glad to help, otherwise, when I get to my phone or email :AH-HA:

Sadly apparently something big & bad is happening with our '93 underhood (only got bits & pieces from my brother, who now has it, sort of) so maybe we could be on that Roger's Fleetwood offer list. Heh, maybe even me...people STILL talk about "that car" I had & with my recent 2nd car potential news flailing by a thread at this point, it could be an intriguing & familiar possibility.

I'd say a low mileage Sonoma like you had & pristine might not be a bad idea...just finding one and/or that mileage/age/etc. factor possibly not advancing you far enough forward is the main issue. A newer H3 would at least have that covered & hopefully some warranty, CPO or otherwise. Grr, now I want to car lot browse & shop too :rolleyes:

Edited by caddycruiser

Well, a quick call to my credit union was not as prosperous as I had hoped. Of course they told me if the loan on the Caddy was repaid, I could have some more (LOL!!). So for the time being I will continue truckin' on with the presidential-esque Caddy and hope & pray that nothing major happens. There are a few small problems that need my attention, and hopefully they don't turn out to be expensive fixes, but as a daily driver it fits the bill for now. I just hate the thought that when I go to start it it won't work, or as I'm driving something will go wrong. That's the risk you take with buying an older vehicle though.

Glad to see there's interest in the car from people here though!! (except you caddycruiser, I know you've liked the car from day one) :lol:

You really have this doomsday scenario with the FWB don't you? Thousands of old LT-1s start up just fine every day while thousands of brand new Toyotas' accelerators stick to the carpet.

Having a newer vehicle is no guarantee of starting every morning and getting you to work on time in once piece.

What were you going to pick up in addition to the G8, cruiser? Provided it's alright that I ask ...

Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

This is your thread...and a good one...

As for me, still can't say, but what it "was" is now up in the air & I may be going a different route. Not sure. We'll see. Abstract & annoying response, my specialty. I will say this. No Toyota's :neenerneener:

Reality check Roger...but keep the ideas flowing, you never know when :AH-HA:

Edited by caddycruiser

You really have this doomsday scenario with the FWB don't you? Thousands of old LT-1s start up just fine every day while thousands of brand new Toyotas' accelerators stick to the carpet.

Having a newer vehicle is no guarantee of starting every morning and getting you to work on time in once piece.

Since I've had the car, three times it has decided not to start for me (two of the times happened in the morning before heading to work). It has its moments, being an older car, and of all the leased/financed vehicles I've had May '99 - June '08, none of them have ever left me stranded. If you know me, I'm not the "bright and cheery" morning person. I am the type of person that leaves in "just enough of time" to make it to work. If the car doesn't start, I'm in trouble!! I've adjusted a bit since I began using the Caddy as my DD in November, but I still appreciate just getting into a vehicle and getting on my way.

Yes, the FWB is not a horrible car. It's unique and has character. But at the same time having nothing but new vehicles for 10 years, it is a change for me, and one I'm slowly adjusting too. I'm the type of person that keeps new car dealerships in business, but in this economy and with my bank account, I had to drop that role for now.

:smilies-38096: but I do miss the smell of a "new" car :lol:

And a point I forgot to make... I just need to take a deep breathe and work on repairing my credit once I climb out of the hole (debt) we're in and focus on saving some cash at some point for a new GMC Terrain when the dealers start carrying more inventory and deals start being made on them (so, about a year from now maybe?). That's the vehicle I like & want, and I'd consider leasing again if the price is right too. Patience, young grasshopper...

This.

If my wife's tattered old Cavalier can start and run every day without issue (Can't count the day the fuel pump died), I think you will be fine.

I was a bit worried when I picked up the Balt used, knowing the owner barely cared for it. But, with a little TLC, it's been a great little car.

You're Caddy should be just fine. You'll get used to it. She's just being picky.AH-HA_wink.gif