Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

MW 1989: Chevrolet Caprice Spyshots

15 posts in this topic

First time I saw one in person was at the 1990 Baltimore Auto Show. It was a white Caprice Classic, roped off, and the trunk and interior were loaded full of brochures for the week-long show, giving it a lowered look. I was smitten, and I told the spokesdude I thought it was the best looking car at the show that year.

Yes, the design was ridiculed. When they opened up the rear wheel arches it lessened the bathtub look somewhat.

I try to think of it this way: the Step Down Hudson has become a minor classic, maybe this Chevy will gain status as time passes.

Yes, the design was ridiculed. When they opened up the rear wheel arches it lessened the bathtub look somewhat.

I try to think of it this way: the Step Down Hudson has become a minor classic, maybe this Chevy will gain status as time passes.

It already has. There are a LOT of '91-'96 B-bod fanatics.

The ridicule ended as other cars modernized and the Caprice was just another car... one with lots of space and a fast engine.

The 1990 Caprice is one of my favorite designs from that era!

Its both retro, and modern. And I love the skirted rear wheels! When they started changing it around to make it more acceptable to the public, the design lost its edge in my mind.

The only good thing was the updated interior it got later.

I would love to have this original bodystyle, with the redesigned interior. :duck:

That's what got me jazzed when I first sawr it, that blend of modern and retro. It knocked my socks off. When the wheel arches were opened up, they were handled badly, as you can tell they were an afterthought... the wheel is not positioned properly in the open arch.

The 1990 Caprice is one of my favorite designs from that era!

Its both retro, and modern. And I love the skirted rear wheels! When they started changing it around to make it more acceptable to the public, the design lost its edge in my mind.

The only good thing was the updated interior it got later.

I would love to have this original bodystyle, with the redesigned interior. :duck:

Ted you can have just that car its called a WAGON though :jump:

It already has. There are a LOT of '91-'96 B-bod fanatics.

Exactly!

Many of them being fans of the 9C1 package....

I considered the '91-'96 Caprice when I was looking for my winter beater, but I much prefer the '77-'79 body style, though I wish I had found a coupe instead of a sedan.....

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * my radio show.03/13/10 *

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The rhythm of the rails is all they feel" ... Steve Goodman ... 'City Of New Orleans'

Back in early 1991, a neighbor of mine who had nothing but Impalas and Caprices, bought a new-for-'91 Caprice Classic LTZ (top of the line model). It was maroon with a burgundy interior and had all the bells & whistles at the time. I was totally in love with his car, and subsequently the Caprice Classic in general. Even the local police department began buying 9C1-equipped Caprices in '91, replacing all of their older late '80s Caprice patrol cars too. Like TED, I have always loved the '91-'92 Caprice design and hated the rear wheel opening for the '93 models (yes, GM gave in too soon to the public's outcry; I do, however, like the '94-'96 Impala SS the way it is). I'm a stalker of this one '91 or '92 Caprice Classic (white exterior) in the town I live in. It's owned by an elderly couple that also have a late '90s Oldsmobile Cutlass (Malibu clone). I see the elderly man driving around in it from time to time, so I know it's still operational. I drive by it at least once a week or so, just in case he ever decides to put a "For Sale" sign in it. Yes, I like the newer interior much better over the original '91 dash layout, but don't like the Caprice bodystyle as much after '92.

EDIT: Found some pictures of what my neighbor's Caprice Classic LTZ looked like:

chevrolet-caprice-11.jpg

1991.chevrolet.caprice.1859-E.jpg

chevrolet-caprice-12.jpg

1991.chevrolet.caprice.2479-E.jpg

Now one more 'eye candy!' pic:

chevrolet-caprice-13.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Hmmm! Somethings grow better with age and some some don't.

I loved the 80's when I lived it but looking back things were not as good as I thought they were.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room