Transitioning Buick Sees Sales Slide

Variance

Link: http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_transitioning..._sees/index.htm

By Brian Corbett

WardsAuto.com, Aug 25 2005

Through July, Buick sales are trailing year-ago by 4.3%.

DETROIT – General Motors Corp.'s Buick Div., a key factor contributing to GM's declining market share over the decades, likely will post another year-over-over sales decline in 2005, the brand's third straight annual decrease in the U.S.

Buick is one of only two GM brands – the other is Saturn – on the way to posting a decline in 2005 despite the raging success of GM's “Employee Pricing for Everyone” incentive program.

Through July, Buick sales are trailing year-ago's results by 4.3%.

'06 Buick Lucerne
Margaret Brooks, Buick marketing director, says the brand will be unable to overcome that small difference during 2005's remaining five months because the LeSabre large car is being phased out and replaced by the Lucerne.

In 2004, LeSabre accounted for 114,157 units of Buick's 309,639 overall sales.

“The thing that's going to limit our potential for the balance of the year is the transition between LeSabre and Lucerne,” Brooks tells Ward's.

“We have a unique set of circumstances when we have an area of the market that represents 40% of our business. The LeSabre is going out, and frankly, it's pretty much sold out right now.

“And we won't have the Lucerne in the showroom until the end of the calendar year,” she adds. “We don't expect to see an increase this year over last year simply given product availability is not sufficient enough to let that happen, given the transition.”

However, Buick's retail sales are up 3% this year through July, Brooks says.

Reducing commercial deliveries is a company wide initiative at GM, but it's especially important at Buick, given its relatively poor residual values caused by numerous stodgy products, a lack of investment and an aging buyer demographic.

“We really are reducing the amount of business we do in the fleet market. We'll still do some fleet business in certain markets, especially when there is nothing else in GM that can do that job, like the Rendezvous (cross/utility vehicle,)” Brooks says.

“Whatever we do, we're going to do it judiciously. We did some premium fleet business with the LaCrosse (midsize sedan), and we'll do a little with Lucerne. But we're going to reduce that part of our business. It's critical to helping the resale value of our products.”

Besides the LeSabre, Buick has discontinued production since last year of the Regal and Century midsize sedans and the Park Avenue large car. During the same timeframe it has added the Terraza minivan to its lineup.

“When we launch Lucerne, when customers come in for that, what they're going to see is a totally different showroom – one that is totally different than their expectations,” says Brooks.

To urge consumers to give the brand a chance, Buick has been promoting GM's Employee Pricing for Everyone program more than any other nameplate. Buick has aired several TV commercials featuring GM employees who work on Buick products.

“When we looked at the corporate messaging for the employee pricing, we just thought there was an absolute perfect synergy and the Buick-specific messaging because Buick is really communicating sophisticated quality as the foundation upon which we're going to build this brand,” Brooks says.

“It was perfect timing. We picked up J.D. Power (Initial Quality Survey) and longer-term durability awards earlier this year.”

Buick has been awarded with huge monthly increases in June and July vs. like-2004 results – up 31.1% and 20.4%, respectively.

“One of the things we've seen during the last two months, 50% of the people who bought a LaCrosse told us that if they didn't buy a LaCrosse, their second choice was a non-GM product. So we're able to maintain buyers in the fold.”

Shock! Shock! Shock! Buick's in a real predicament right now-I see a lot of LaCrosse's and increasing amount of Terazza's around here, but they're just junking their huge flowing styling potential, and that could be a major problem for Buick, along with the lack of products, namely more relevant ones to catch smaller, more-popular models so that Cadillac doesn't have to take the dive and risk their increasing 'Standard of the World' luxury status. Also, Lucerne is going to have to depend on how the CX trim looks inside and out (base models still sell the most, you know) and how the price will justify a 2006 full-size, front-drive car with a weak V-6 and a now-outdated 4-speed automatic transmission. And every LeSabre buyer had a front split-bench seat, which is now optional-not sure if it will be extra cost here or not, but if it is, I can surely bet Buick will lose more and more sales. I mean, what are the advantages here? Lucerne lost trunk space compared to the previous LeSabre and Park Avenue, now at 17.0 cubic feet. Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

Link: http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_transitioning..._sees/index.htm

[post="5926"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

"PREMIUM" rentals...?

I see LaCrosses all over the Hertz lot....and I can guarantee you they are NOT part of Hertz' "Premier" rentals....they sit alongside the Taurus in the "fullsize" rental category.

Also, the article states that Buick has been the biggest advertiser for the Employee Pricing promo? Isn't it ironic that I haven't seen a SINGLE Buick ad for this promo....not a one....

Who the heck is this woman, this "Margaret Brooks?" Does she HAVE a clue? Edited by The O.C.

I was at a Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership recently....the Buicks just sat there all very ordinary, nothing to make you walk over and take a look closer. They all look 5 years old. The Rainier is not a Buick, the Terazza is not a Buick, the Randezvous is all awkward looking. The Lucerne is not here yet. So what are you left with? Ancient LeSabres with terrible interiors and the new LaCrosse....it's ok, but ordinary. Not much to get excited about. It's all very sad really.

Well that's a surprise to me... After Pontiac being the only brand to not see increases in June I figured Pontiac would surely have a decline. But no... it's [b]Buick[/i] and [b]Saturn[/i] only. I guess that's good, but is that correct? I can see Saturn having it, but not Buick, and definitely would have thought Pontiac would have been... :blink: :wacko:

Satty, I only see Chevy and Pontiac ads. Every once in a while I'll see a Saturn one, but never a GMC or Buick one. :huh:

I've only seen Cadillac, Saturn, and Chevy ads for employee discounts, but NOTHING for Buick or Pontiac. There isn't even anything to get people into the dealerships at this point--the LaCrosse, although a huge step forward from the Century, is just average. The Lucerne, not there. Rainier, well, who needed it?! Sales will prove my point. Terraza? C'mon. Make the Saturn Relay have all the features/luxury the Buick one has, then drop it from the Buick lineup. Rendezvous, well, they styling has grown on me, but it's time for a change. I know, I know, it's coming, but then they're changing the name as well? Silly. It has such a strong following!

At least, if only there was a 6 speed auto tranny in the Lacrosse and the 3.6L standard.

[post="6014"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That better be standard for 2007.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a Pontiac or Buick EPP commercial. They had been running the Saturn one where people are running around the lot calling dibs on various cars a lot during July, but seem to have cooled on those in August. All of the Chevy ones I see talk about how you can get a new Silverado for like $13k, all the GMC ones are for the Yukon. It kind of makes sense for Saturn to have a decline, the L series was dropped, so thats like 20 sales a month out the window, plus '05 VUE production had to send sometime so they could make the needed changes for the '06, which seem to be slow in getting to lots. That leaves a minivan that almost nobody knows exists and a sub-par compact car.

I've seen a lot of EPP commercials. The Saturn "Dibs" one, at least one GMC one where they talk about being professional grade, quite a few Chevy ones (mostly Silverado and Cobalt), Buick with the LaCrosse (waterfall one with a thing at the end about the EPP), a Saab one, and I think that's it. I've never seen one for Cadillac or Hummer. As for Buick sales sliding... well it took a while until the LaCrosse began selling at the same volume of the Century and Regal, plus add in a few lost sales from the Park Ave, LeSabre sales falling because it's so old, dismal sales from the Terraza and Rainier, and obviously they aren't having much success. With the Lucerne and Lambda X-Over, I think Buick will be ok. The premium Theta SUV could do well and really help cement Buick's future. I see it possibly becoming the RX of the Buick brand if it is well received.

Its becoming obvious someone seriously fucked up the timing of Buick's transition.

You never, ever leave a gap like the LeSabre/Lucerne, especially when it accounts for almost a whole fucking third of your sales.

“One of the things we've seen during the last two months, 50% of the people who bought a LaCrosse told us that if they didn't buy a LaCrosse, their second choice was a non-GM product.”

A non-GM product like what? A Sable?

This has me pretty livid that these people think the Rainier and a minivan would really sell. Think about how well Buick did when its lineup consisted of four sedans on two largish platforms and two of them looked nearly identical! This product infusion is a joke because the product is trite and meaningless.

You know things are in sad shape when the only full frame, V8 RWD Buick is an SUV.

Well, Buick didn't have a RWD V8 model at all for about 7 years... (last Roadmaster was '96). And isn't the Rainer AWD only (or is there a RWD version for the Sun Belt states?)

Interesting... Pontiac cut 5 models for '06, Buick 3, and GMC 2... 10 models cut from PBG for '06 and only 2 added....

Pontiac cut 5 models? Aztek, Bonneville, Sunfire, and what else? Buick cut Century, Regal, Park Ave, and LeSabre. GMC cut the XUV and what else?

And there were more than two added: G6 coupe, Solstice, Torrent, Lucerne.

Pontiac cut the Aztek, Sunfire, Bonneville, and Montana (the old Montana carried over for '05 after the SV6 was added). Buick cut the Century, Park Avenue, and Le Sabre (the Regal was cut for '05). GMC cut the XUV and Safari.

I forgot the Torrent and G6 coupe... Edited by moltar

Well, Buick didn't have a RWD V8 model at all for about 7 years...  (last Roadmaster was '96).  And isn't the Rainer AWD only (or is there a RWD version for the Sun Belt states?)
Interesting... Pontiac cut 5 models for '06, Buick 3,  and GMC 2... 10 models cut from PBG for '06 and only 2 added....

[post="6301"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wait... I think you've miscounted...

For 06 added will be:

- Pontiac Solstice
- Pontiac Torrent
- Buick Lucerne

And somehow, they like to count these as new vehicles:

- G6 Coupe
- G6 Convertible

Still... trimming a LOT from these divisions.

Okay... to break some of this down... let's see:

1) Sales declining:

Through July, Buick sales are trailing year-ago's results by 4.3%.

but

However, Buick's retail sales are up 3% this year through July, Brooks says

This means Buick has been selling less to fleet and more to customers... hence the percentage drop in overall sales. GM announced years ago that Buick would be slowly backing off from high amounts of fleet sales. GM NEVER stated they would increase retail sales to compensate on a "1 to 1" level with fleet sales. Retail sales are more profitable to GM so this is actually GOOD NEWS.

Buick's goal right now is to increase retail sales. That will determine Buick's market viability. Buick is increasing retail sales.

Plain and simple: More individual customers have bought a LaCrosse, LeSabre, Terraza, Rendezvous, & Rainier this year than customers who bought a Regal, Century, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Rendezvous, & Rainier last year.

2) Product cuts, what does it really mean:

For 2005 Buick has disco'd 3 sedans, added 1 new sedan and 1 new minivan.

Besides the LeSabre, Buick has discontinued production since last year of the Regal and Century midsize sedans and the Park Avenue large car. During the same timeframe it has added the Terraza minivan to its lineup.

Yet, retail sales are up from 2004 and Fleet sales are down???? That's actually pretty DAMN spectacular. For those who think the Terraza is selling poorly, it's selling better than the Saturn Relay and equal to the Montana SV6 that's sharing the showroom floor with the Terraza.

The Relay doesn't even have a separate minivan to compete with in the Saturn showroom.

3) Who are buying the new Buicks?

“One of the things we've seen during the last two months, 50% of the people who bought a LaCrosse told us that if they didn't buy a LaCrosse, their second choice was a non-GM product. So we're able to maintain buyers in the fold.”

Besides the Sable joke, the fact is the LaCrosse attracted A LOT of non-GM buying customers in June and July. That's the type of penetration GM needs with Buick's new products. More retail sales to the non-traditional Buick buyer. More retail sales from customers NOT CROSS-SHOPPING OTHER GM PRODUCTS.

Yes... actually A LOT of good news in this article.

Sometimes personal observation does not equal reality. The article even explains that is what they're doing:

Reducing commercial deliveries is a company wide initiative at GM, but it's especially important at Buick, given its relatively poor residual values caused by numerous stodgy products, a lack of investment and an aging buyer demographic.

“We really are reducing the amount of business we do in the fleet market. We'll still do some fleet business in certain markets, especially when there is nothing else in GM that can do that job, like the Rendezvous (cross/utility vehicle,)” Brooks says.

“Whatever we do, we're going to do it judiciously. We did some premium fleet business with the LaCrosse (midsize sedan), and we'll do a little with Lucerne. But we're going to reduce that part of our business. It's critical to helping the resale value of our products.”

Buick started doing this in 2003... notice that 2005 is the 3rd year in a row for market share drop/sales drop. 2003, 2004, & now 2005.

Q. How can retail sales be up when overall sales & market share are down?
A. Fleet sales have been reduced.

Buick is the only division I have not seen an EPP ad for. The lag between the phaseout of the LaSabre and the intro of the Lucerne is headscratching. GM must have known it would clear out dealer lots with the EPP program, it must have. The Lucerne should be here now. I really like the LaCrosse. It's grown on me a lot since it was introduced. The front end is somewhat bland but the rest of the car, plus the interior, is very nice. If I were "that age" it would at least be on my test drive list.

Just some thoughts: I tried a month ago to rent a LaX when my Honda (doh!) was in for some body work (doh! doh!), and I could not find any offered by anyone in my area (CT). None of the LaX's I see on the road seem to be rentals either. Saw a sharp black CXS in the highway yesterday with chrome package and wheels. I noticed it and thought it was really sharp. It stood out to me. Others have said that the LaX is nothing special and doesn't stand out. I disagree (yes I am biased). I'm on vacation next week and plan to test the CXS. I have an Accord V6, an although it is nice, it is far from the perfect car. The LaX has just as much appeal to me (I'm 44). Again, in CT, is see the Buick Employee Discount add all the time. Chevy and Buick mostly, as well as the generic GM add. In July I stopped in to a Buick only dealership in my area to look around. This dealership (Parsons in Plainville) is a large family owned dealership in business for years. Folks come from around the state and by multiple vehicles. I went back this weekend and the place was cleaned out. Very few vehicles to see. There were eight vehicles off to the side with SOLD in the window. As VenSeattle stated, I too think there is good news here. Buick continues to sell well in spite of what GM has done to undermine it's success. Be well.

I think people are getting worried for something that there is no need to worry about- Buick AND GM have both known the sales were not going to rise during the transition period. If you've read the article you've know Buick has heavily reduced fleet sales and this is good, however when you have less fleet sales you have less sales... oh PLUS we've gone from 4 cars to 2 with the spare tire known as the Terraza to help ease the pain. The Rendezvous, though the most popular Buick now (I'd guess- I have no statistics but the LaCrosse is new, the LeSabre is dead after this year and the Rainier and the Terraza, well, you know...) is getting old and is slowly losing sales yearly. The LaCrosse will not be at its peak sales this year and the Lucerne won't be at its peak sales next year. They will be on the up. The Terraza and the Rainier will not sell enough to keep Buick afloat but hopefully they can hold their own badge-engineered weight. I give them the equivilant sales to the Regal and the Park Avenue respectively. But the LaCrosse and the Lucerne have to make up not only the loss of the Century and the LeSabre but what the Rendezvous is now going to be lacking in its 4th year. and the LaCrosse won't make what the Century sold until at the earliest next year, probably the year after that, maybe not ever considering its increase in price because Buick moved upmarket slightly (which is ANOTHER thing we haven't even mentioned on why Buick sales haven't reached past sales). The Lucerne needs at least 2 years to get credibility but I highly doubt they will ever match LeSabre credibility. The name alone carried more trust and credibility than the best newest car on the market. GM and Buick are expecting whats happening now. Plus Buick RETAIL sales are up 3%! Thats amazing news during this transition! Plus Buick and Pontiac are supposed to become "smaller" companies anyways. However Flybrian is right- they shouldnt have left the gap between the Lucerne and the LeSabre but theres nothing we can do about it now. I think Buick is just as solid as it was a few months ago, a year ago, or 2 years ago... even moreso with the fleet cuts and such... or at the very least it's not slipping behind Pontiac as some people are willing to jump the gun and say Buick will get cut over Pontiac. Both companies are in a tight situation. Either, both, or neither could be chopped. Even though we all know the first one they should chop is Saturn... but thats beside the point. Buick's not doing that bad guys, keep your heads up!

OK, the Century and Regal NAMES were cut, not the mid sized Buick W body car line. It was RENAMED LaCrosse with the new styling. Late model Regal sales were so low, they should have just called it "Century Regal", and combined the numbers. Fact is when GM had all these car names that C&G misses so bad, market share dropped. Trying to keep all these names, when they are really the same car, wastes valuable development cash. Maybe they should have just kept calling the mid-sized Buicks "Special" as it was in 1961?

OK, the Century and Regal NAMES were cut, not the mid sized Buick W body car line. It was RENAMED LaCrosse with the new styling. Late model Regal sales were so low, they should have just called it "Century Regal", and combined the numbers.

Fact is when GM had all these car names that C&G misses so bad, market share dropped. Trying to keep all these names, when they are really the same car, wastes valuable development cash.

Maybe they should have just kept calling the mid-sized Buicks "Special" as it was in 1961?

[post="9137"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The names didnt kill the car, it was the fact that they went 7 years without a thing being changed on them. It was Buick's reputation that was getting tarnished, not the Regal, Century, or LeSabre... and it was for nothing more than lack of change in product.

• 3 weeks later...
I think GM needs to improve their product changeover. They always seem to have this gap where they stock out of the old product before the newone is up to production speed. It's not just a Buick related problem but it is especially strange when - - the Lucerne is based on the same platform as the LeSabre and built in the same plant - there was alot of warning about the changeover and - they cant have been production constrained - why can't they build up stock of the old one bfore changeover?

Who the heck is this woman, this "Margaret Brooks?"  Does she HAVE a clue?

[post="5964"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You apparently didn't get the memo with the GM Internal Codes.

Follow the bouncing ball.

Karen Francis/Olds
Cynthia Trudell/Annette Clayton/etc. Saturn
Debra Kelly Ennis/Saab
Lynn Meyers/Pontiac GMC

At the point and time when a division OTHER THAN CHEVY desperately needs a car person, GM picks a woman to temporarily 'groom' for management. That new hire then proceeds to learn the ropes by making EVERY SINGLE MISTAKE ever made in the past, infuriating dealers, destroying internal morale and setting the division on a path to even larger problems.

Just before the wheels fall off, GM rotates people and brings in someone with some actual experience to try and fix the damage. See Jim Bonnell, etc. Sadly, by then the damage has been done and help is years down the road.

The point of this isn't to pick on any of these people--they were/are all very nice people. However, not one of them is what you'd call a real 'car person.' Some of them had absolutely no business running a division.

GM has this weird history of using their weaker divisions as training grounds for questionable management candidates, often with disasterous results. You'd think that the losses caused by the problems at Olds, Saturn, Saab, etc would put an end to this. I'm not so sure.

Hopefully, Buick's fate will be better.