NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: Entry-level Cadillac model to come in four flavors

78 posts in this topic

01/28/2010, 12:25 PMBY DREW JOHNSON

The Cadillac CTS may be priced along the same lines as the BMW 3-Series, but the four-door Caddy is actually more in line – in terms of size – with BMW’s 5-Series. As such, General Motors’ luxury division is readying a true entry-level model, with new details on the project surfacing on Thursday.

Believed to be based on GM’s long-rumored rear-wheel drive Alpha platform, the ATS is being designed as a direct competitor to vehicles like the BMW 3-Series and Audi A4. Powertrains for the new model remain unknown, but a new report has shed some light on what body styles the ATS will be available in.

“We’re finalizing the four-door showcar of the ATS first,” an inside source told Inside Line. “Then we’ll follow quickly after with a wagon, a coupe and a convertible.”

Moreover, it sounds as if all four body styles have a real chance of making production. In fact, Cadillac engineers are currently deciding if the convertible variant should have a hard or soft-top. In all likelihood, the convertible will feature a conventional rag top for weight and space issues.

A concept version of the Cadillac ATS will be completed in the coming months, with the entry-level sedan expected to make its world debut at the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-entry-level-cadillac-model-to-come-in-four-flavors.html

A concept version of the Cadillac ATS will be completed in the coming months, with the entry-level sedan expected to make its world debut at the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show.

off to Orbitz.com....

If done right, there are lots of advantages to having a wagon and coupe with not a lot of extra engineering costs.

If done right, there are lots of advantages to having a wagon and coupe with not a lot of extra engineering costs.

This is the first non-excuse vehicle, which has been conceptualized post-bankruptcy. GM has to get it right.

The rest of the vehicles making rounds in the show circuits so far have some stages of their developments prior to bankruptcy.

I am very pleased to see GM expanding the use of multiple bodystyles for a single nameplate.

I believe in this approach wholeheartedly.

Question is, will it be priced in the $35-50,000 range? Because that is CTS territory, hopefully they move the CTS up to put the ATS in it's proper place. Otherwise, what if the Caddy is $27-$37,000, then it's Cimmarron time all over agin.

>>"...then it's Cimmarron time all over agin."<<

Incorrect! Your implication is that the problem there was price overlap.

'83 Cimarron : $12215

'83 Coupe Deville : $15970

Don't bother coming back with "price range"- Deville option list was 3 times the scope & 4 times the cost of the Cimarron's.

Luxury cars almost never sell for base prices... average transaction price is far more relevent here. I cannot see the ATS (non-V) getting anywhere close to $50K.

Edited by balthazar

And plus, the only way it would be a Cimarron all over again is if it's a rebadged Cruze.

Question is, will it be priced in the $35-50,000 range? Because that is CTS territory, hopefully they move the CTS up to put the ATS in it's proper place. Otherwise, what if the Caddy is $27-$37,000, then it's Cimmarron time all over agin.

The CTS is going upmarket to compete with the 5-series, which is why it will be receiving all the features that the STS had in the next revision.

The CTS is going upmarket to compete with the 5-series, which is why it will be receiving all the features that the STS had in the next revision.

I hope that is the case, but does GM have the guts to price the CTS V6 in the $50-60,000 range. And the ATS at where the CTS is now? Then where does the XTS fit in?

I hope that is the case, but does GM have the guts to price the CTS V6 in the $50-60,000 range. And the ATS at where the CTS is now? Then where does the XTS fit in?

Most CTS sales are around the 45k mark. This should be the new base price, with more features added to make a fully-loaded model close to 60k.

The New Age of Multiple Bodystyles, starting at the top with the CTS and spreading throughout General Motors Company... that's what I want to see.

Fewer nameplates, more bodystyles. That's the ticket.

It's going to HAVE to play an increasing role, ocn- 15M sales/year are seemingly a decade off at best. This whole thing about 'Car A is 4" too long to compete with Car B' has been ridiculous from the very first person to claim it.

Actually, I think the ATS can be a darn decent car at $32,000~$35000. Basically, it'll be priced similarly to the IS250 and TSX. Maybe $48,000 for the ATS V carry non-supercharged Small Block power, putting it at about $12000 more than a Camaro SS. It's not a bad positioning strategy.

I'll dump the typical laundry list of option packages and a few standard configurations though (ala Acura). I'll drop the V6 too.

Three Trims

• $32,000 - ATS 2.0T
  • $35,000 - ATS 2.0T w/Navigation, HID & Moonroof
  • $45,000 - ATS-V (Navigation & HID std on ATS-V; Moonroof not available)

Standard Features: Leather seats, wood or aluminum trim, power seats/windows/locks, rain sensing wipers, keyless entry, two zone climate control, heated seats, ABS, Electronic Stability Prgm, Electronic Differential Lock, 17" Tires/alloy wheels, Bose Acoustics 9-speaker audio system with CD & 16GB flash, auto dimming side/rear mirrors, 6-speed 6L50E Automatic Transmission w/paddle shifters.

ATS-V Exclusive Features: Sport seats, Helical LSD, 5.5 liter V8, sport exhaust, sport suspension, 4-piston sport brakes/rotors, 18" wheels/tires, 8-speed dual clutch automatic gearbox.

Two Engines

• 2.0 DI-VVT-Turbo DOHC-16v I4 - 275hp / 270lb-ft - 20 / 30 mpg
  • 5.5 DI-VVT-AFM OHV-16v V8 - 432hp / 423lb-ft - 17 / 25 mpg

Edited by dwightlooi

Looking forward to seeing where they go w/ the ATS.. so MY 2012 maybe for the sedan?

Actually, I think the ATS can be a darn decent car at $32,000~$35000. Basically, it'll be priced similarly to the IS250 and TSX. Maybe $48,000 for the ATS V carry non-supercharged Small Block power, putting it at about $12000 more than a Camaro SS. It's not a bad positioning strategy.

I'll dump the typical laundry list of option packages and a few standard configurations though (ala Acura). I'll drop the V6 too.

Three Trims

• $32,000 - ATS 2.0T

Standard Features: Leather seats, wood or aluminum trim, power seats/windows/locks, rain sensing wipers, keyless entry, two zone climate control, heated seats, ABS, Electronic Stability Prgm, Electronic Differential Lock, 17" Tires/alloy wheels, Bose Acoustics 9-speaker audio system with CD & 16GB flash, auto dimming side/rear mirrors, 6-speed 6L50E Automatic Transmission w/paddle shifters.

ATS-V Exclusive Features: Sport seats, Helical LSD, 5.5 liter V8, sport exhaust, sport suspension, 4-piston sport brakes/rotors, 18" wheels/tires, 8-speed dual clutch automatic gearbox.

Two Engines

Considering how Audi and BMW are sticking with fours and sixes for their lineup, all indications appear that the ATS is also the same too. The torque on a small-block would mean extra weight in reinforcement on the ATS that it doesn't need just to handle the output. Lighter weight is much better than just adding hp.

Edited by aldw

twin turbo V6, twin turbo V6, twin turbo V6

2010_Opel_Insignia_OPC_Jalopnik-topshot.jpg

The 2.8T is single turbo. No DI or twin-scroll turbo, either.

Three Trims

• $32,000 - ATS 2.0T

Two Engines

A 2.0 with a lot of boost doesn't exactly scream luxury car though, it screams of WRX/Evo boy racer car. While I'm sure GM in the name of fuel economy (CAFE) will offer a 2.0T, I'd expect closer to 250 hp or maybe even less like in the Regal. That is acceptable for a base engine, but they need a V6 with over 300 hp. ATS needs every single feature/option available on the CTS now. BMW now has a 5-clutch gearbox and 4-wheel steering and regenerative braking, so Cadillac will have to really push the technology envelope. Also, they better make a legendary diesel six cylinder if they hope to sell more than 7 of these in Europe. ATS diesel needs to be near 40 mpg hwy while hitting 60 in 6 seconds.

Considering how Audi and BMW are sticking with fours and sixes for their lineup, all indications appear that the ATS is also the same too. The torque on a small-block would mean extra weight in reinforcement on the ATS that it doesn't need just to handle the output. Lighter weight is much better than just adding hp.

Well, if we look at the 2.0T and the 3.0 V6, the 2.0T has similar outputs and higher torque output (at lower revs too). From a performance or economy standpoint there is no reason to use the 3.0 V6. A 3.6 is better, but it is also provides just a tad more power and essentially the same amount of torque. For simplicity of the lineup, it too can be dropped.

A decent RWD chassis will be able to handle a small block without any issues. It's about the size of a high feature V6 so it'll fit fine too. The alternative is a turbocharged HF V6 -- that costs more, delievers equal or less power and is probably less desirable to performance buyers than a big bore 8-potter... especially when the V8 posts better fuel economy numbers.

The 2.8T is single turbo. No DI or twin-scroll turbo, either.

and yet look what they get out of it. hence my point for a twin turbo V6

I am very pleased to see GM expanding the use of multiple bodystyles for a single nameplate.

+1

Choice is very important....

Now if only they'd do it for the Malibu with adding a Coupe and Wagon next generation. This needs to be done more and more in the future as in the future the only vehicles really viable as sedan only are top size-tier vehicles LaCrosse/Impala/XTS.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor