Sign in to follow this  
Guest Josh

GM To Work On "Creation of a line of small, agile,

Guest Josh

GM has said in their fastlane blog that they plan to work on a line of "creation of a line of small, agile, rear-wheel-drive cars." One can only guess what this may spawn, but my guess is a complete line of kappa based cars ranging from the Solstice, to a hatch, to even a wagon-esque type of vehicle.

Things could get interesting.

I'd love to see that happen, with one of those cars being the production version of the Nomad concept. I'm not sure if it'll happen on Kappa as we know it, as AH-HA, evok, and thegriffon have all said that, in order to keep the cost down, the current Kappa was made to be rather inflexible. Perhaps there is work being done on a "Kappa II" of sorts?

I hope this means that Pontiac could get a small sedan or coupe to slot below the G6. I could see a small sedan/coupe that would come standard with the turbo 4 in the Soltice GXP and then offer the fine 2.8L tubro V6 that Saab has.

Even if priced similar to the larger G6 it would sell well. I would buy one in a heart beat.

Hopefully this is a move in the right direction. Actually this can be the beauty of having a large portfolio of brands and global reach: leverage development resources and give each brand what their 'personality' needs.

I hope he is successful so this thing can happen soon.

GM needs to start where they can make the biggest profit. This means Cadillac, Buick and then Chevrolet last. Why water down a new platform and have people say "That is a rebadged Chevy such-and-such" when you could later sell the same car and people would say "this car has the same underpinnings as the Cadillac..."

I mean really, this is not rocket science. Its basic marketing.

THERE IS A GOD!!! Edited by Sixty8panther

It's dumb they even posted that. We already have the Solstice and Sky. We know what they're capable of. Maybe they're just telling this so they can spark discussion of upcoming models, like you all said, Nomad and hatchbacks.

I have a feeling that this might just be trick to get GM back on track.

Though.. these vehicles should also have AWD as an option if and when they come out. Of course, we'd have to wait for Kappa 2.0 to be introduce for that to happen because I'm not sure if it can support AWD. Can someone validate my info?

Bring back the NOVA!!! I think Josh has a point with the AWD comment start with a BTS Caddy AWD/Rwd 4 door, then give the divisons versions,hybird for saturn, maybe a TDI AWD wagon/hatch for Chevy? Possibilities!

I hope by small GM means something a little bit larger than Kappa, which seems a little too small. Then again, perhaps I'm just judging size based on the roadsters and I am wrong.

Nomad is my choice. Nothing for Saturn and Buick. I might get some flack for that but I believe Buick should have a large RWD Velite-like vehicle and sedan, nothing smaller than the LaCrosse.

Not that this is bad news, per say, but I think they need the RWD'ness to head more towards the GP/Impala and bigger lines. Granted, a lot of their cars at that end are still fresh or new (Lucerne, Impala, DTS, etc.), but I still hope the RWD is in the pipelines and will be out before long.

Then again, it was mentioned in the other thread that 2 different preliminary designs of the next Impala have already been done, one based on it staying FWD and the other being RWD. Wondering what THOSE look like...hopefully not as dumpy as the current one.

It's dumb they even posted that. We already have the Solstice and Sky. We know what they're capable of. Maybe they're just telling this so they can spark discussion of upcoming models, like you all said, Nomad and hatchbacks.

I agree. I don't really see what purpose this release serves, except to pique interest. Otherwise, there isn't really much to get excited about: No specific info on the cars, no timeline, no models named, no nothing.

GM has said in their fastlane blog that they plan to work on a line of "creation of a line of small, agile, rear-wheel-drive cars." One can only guess what this may spawn, but my guess is a complete line of kappa based cars ranging from the Solstice, to a hatch, to even a wagon-esque type of vehicle.

Things could get interesting.

So this means they're going to make a rebadge of the Solstice for each of their brands?

small, agile, stylish RWD sedans and coupes are just what the doctor ordered.

the revolution will officially be in full swing when that happens

imagine actually seeing GM cars on magazine covers again, aside from the vette and v-series.

imagine seeing exciting and beautiful and exotic machines in the mid teens to the twenties, something everyone, not just the wealthy and upper middle class can afford.......lower and mid middle class still make up the bulk of the nation [croc that was specifically for you]

imagine cars worth getting your pants wet for

imagine a pontiac 1-series RWD that does the brand justice finally....

funny, I've been asking for this for at least going on three years now...

GM can and will make a competetive Lexus LS fighter for $27,000!

Look at the Solstice.

It is important for Pontiac of all the brands to recieve a compact RWD coupe/sedan. Price them around 20-25k like the solstice, taking out the covertible hardware frees up costs for additional standard equipment that is expected, like A/C and power windows. Make them beautiful and sporty, even offer factory rollbars and encourage auto-x'ing like subaru does with the WRX. If young adults can afford them, or others can afford them as a sporty secord or third car, it will do very well. I personally would rather see a full-time awd car like the WRX since I live in the north east.

If the small sedan/coupe would be about the size of a 1-series, a cloth entry level model with power windows and such, I would like to see it start around 17k, or even slightly less if possible. That would be murder to all the cheap compacts out there, and a delicious alternative.

I think it is supremely more important to replace the aged W-body Impala/GrandPrix/LaCrosse. Those are the cars that sell in volume. Those are the cars that usually get their asses handed to them in reviews. Those are the cars that have to go up against the new Camry.

That said.... I'll take a Kappa Caddy please.

I want my compact Pontiac coupe... as styled like my idea... with the Solstice GXP's turbo 2.0L Ecotec and a 6spd manual... for under $25k, please. :D

GM, are you listening? You better be, this time...

I want my compact Pontiac coupe... as styled like my idea... with the Solstice GXP's turbo 2.0L Ecotec and a 6spd manual... for under $25k, please. :D

GM, are you listening? You better be, this time...

that'd be a damn good competitor BV, except for the styled like your idea part, I'd rather have it styled like my idea :AH-HA_wink:

okay, we can take a look at your proposal.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook