NewsFeeder

Consumer Reports yanks Recommended status on recalled Toyotas

19 posts in this topic

Filed under: Car Buying, Recalls, Toyota

consumerreports.jpg

This could help quell some criticism against Consumer Reports being biased in favor of Toyota when handing out its valuable "Recommended" status to vehicles. The popular consumer products review magazine announced today that it has temporarily suspended Recommended status for all eight vehicles involved in Toyota's accelerator pedal recall. Just to refresh, the vehicles involved include the Avalon, Camry (except the Hybrid and some other models), Corolla, Highlander (again, except the Hybrid model), Matrix (and by extension the Pontiac Vibe), RAV4, Tundra and Sequoia. Here's what Jim Gues, President of Consumers Union, the publisher of CR had to say:
"Although incidents of sudden acceleration are rare, we are taking this action because the vehicles have been identified as potentially unsafe without a fix yet being available to consumers, and in general our position is that you shouldn't compromise on safety."

The status suspension, however, is temporary and CR expects to reinstate their recommendation of these vehicles once the problem is fixed, though with so many questions still unanswered, we wouldn't expect that to be any time soon. The consumer pub also notes that instances of unintended acceleration are not exclusive to Toyota vehicles, and recommends their handy guide called "How to stop a runaway car" in case it happens to you. Of course, they also reported in December that 40% of sudden acceleration claims involve Toyota models.

[source: Consumer Reports]

Consumer Reports yanks Recommended status on recalled Toyotas originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:50:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=_zuSTdf6ApY:_ljJSnDGLaI:wF9xT autoblog?i=_zuSTdf6ApY:_ljJSnDGLaI:V_sGL
_zuSTdf6ApY

View the full article

Good for them! I knew they would finally take the appropriate action. I also expect a nice writeup in next month's magazine.

It is relevant to all of the people who take it it seriously, and there's a LOT of the buying public that do.

It is relevant to all of the people who take it it seriously, and there's a LOT of the buying public that do.

Yes, most of my friends are big time CR fans, using it as a buying guide for everything from home appliances to driveway appliances..

I have been asking all my Toyota driving colleagues:

"Do you or your Toyota ____ drives you to and from work?"

I have been asking all my Toyota driving colleagues:

"Do you or your Toyota ____ drives you to and from work?"

I talked w/ my manager today about the recall, he didn't seem too worried. Between him and his family, they have owned around a dozen Toyotas over 25 years, apparently. He was going after work w/ his 16 yr old son to look at used Camrys, his son really wants one (his 18 yr old has an Echo).

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

That's changing.

I see CR's rep as linked to toyoyo's. Both have had recent deceptions come to light despite vehement denials to the contrary. Where both will end up remains to be seen, but it's not going to be an improvement.

Would've been significant news if CR was relevent.

+1

The sooner that mag burns in a fire, the better.

Balthazar is right. This announcement by CR is nothing but a rat jumping from a sinking ship.

thumbsup.gif

And I bet as soon as the pedals are "fixed" CR will reinstate the Recommended ratings and still give Toyota the free pass when an all new model comes out.

You know - when GM/Ford puts out an all new version of a vehicle the dependability rating is "Too new to tell." When Toyota puts out an all new model on an all new platform they get an "Excellent" rating "because of past ratings."

And I bet as soon as the pedals are "fixed" CR will reinstate the Recommended ratings and still give Toyota the free pass when an all new model comes out.

You know - when GM/Ford puts out an all new version of a vehicle the dependability rating is "Too new to tell." When Toyota puts out an all new model on an all new platform they get an "Excellent" rating "because of past ratings."

When I noticed that, I vowed never to buy another new car guide from them.

Balthazar is right. This announcement by CR is nothing but a rat jumping from a sinking ship.

You Guys got it rt on the head the RAG sux Consumer Guide is a lot less biased.

And those people are the ones that go to their dealers INFORMED at least that's what they tell their coworkers :rolleyes:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead