NewsFeeder

Report: Mercury planning C-segment vehicle for 2012

16 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Hatchback, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Rumormill

Lincoln Concept C
Lincoln Concept C - Click above for high-res image gallery

According to Automobile Magazine, Ford is putting Mercury on its list. Sorry, we couldn't help ourselves. Specifically, the list in question contains the names of 10 vehicles the Blue Oval plans to build off its global compact car platform. Mercury will supposedly be getting one of the new C-segment vehicles based on the architecture used for the recently unveiled 2012 Ford Focus, which also shares its guts with the Ford C-Max and Grand C-Max MPVs.

Says Lincoln-Mercury spokesman Mark Schirmer, "Certainly, one [variant of the global compact car architecture] will be a Mercury... It'll give us something to put into showrooms, and help energize the Mercury brand." We're glad to hear that, as the Mercury brand is in some serious need of rejuvenation.

Best guesses for what form the new compact Mercury for 2012 might take range from a slightly upmarket version of the Ford Focus (we certainly hope it'd be more than just a shoddy badge-job) or something along the lines of the Lincoln Concept C from the 2009 Detroit Auto Show. If it's going to be one or the other, we cast our official vote for the latter. We'll see.

[source: Automobile Magazine]

Report: Mercury planning C-segment vehicle for 2012 originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 30 Jan 2010 15:24:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=5TLRUtpJEAM:Ns8g7ej-exs:wF9xT autoblog?i=5TLRUtpJEAM:Ns8g7ej-exs:V_sGL
5TLRUtpJEAM

View the full article

Seriously, I'd rather have a Focus sedan and coupe with waterfall grille and ribbed taillights than... that tiny monstrosity.

Maybe I've been watching a bit too much Top Gear, but I kinda like that Lincoln from some angles, I've never been one for tiny hatches, but from that low angle front 3/4 view it looks quite nice for what it is... or I could just be sleep deprived.

A sporty 3-door liftback coupe that revives the "Capri" name would be awesome for Mercury. I would love to see this brand take on a sportier niche role instead of its current fancy rebadged U.S. Ford clone role. If Ford is planning on merging Ford/Lincoln/Mercury into a one dealer network configuration in the future, all those blatant rebadges that FoMoCo dumps on Mercury will quickly become redundant and unnecessary. Mercury has the potential to become a distinct and relevant niche brand if FoMoCo will commit to making it happen.

As far as Lincoln is concerned, I hope nothing remotely as hideous as the Lincoln C Concept appears in its lineup. I would use the MKR Concept as design inspiration and create a classy compact sedan for the brand off FoMoCo's c-car architecture (maybe with a stretched wheelbase) to compete with the Volvo S40, Acura TSX, and Buick's upcoming compact car.

"Capri"? Really? There's another name that has about a 99% chance of revival, and it ain't that. Here's a hint:

OC-MelindaClarke-01.jpg

"Mercury Transsexual" doesn't have the same ring to it though. Maybe they could shorten it to "TS"?:huh:

"Mercury Transsexual" doesn't have the same ring to it though. Maybe they could shorten it to "TS"?:huh:

Uh, that's Melinda Clarke.

Oh. Who is Melinda Clarke? Is she a Turnpike Cruiser?

Apparently Ford has re-registered Tracer, Lynx, and Cougar. So I'd say this C-segment car has a very good chance being named either Tracer or Lynx.

Whatever they do, if the Cougar is in any way half-assed such as rebadging a Focus coupe and calling it a Cougar, I hope Ford doesn't even bother. I wouldn't be opposed to a FWD/AWD Cougar as long as it has two doors, unique sheet metal, EcoBoost, and an upgraded suspension. A modern AWD sports car could do some good for Mercury.

Apparently Ford has re-registered Tracer, Lynx, and Cougar. So I'd say this C-segment car has a very good chance being named either Tracer or Lynx.

Personally, I like the cat motif, Mercury Lynx, Mercury Cougar... maybe Mercury Bengal...

Oh. Who is Melinda Clarke? Is she a Turnpike Cruiser?

No idea..a one-armed hottie apparently...looks like a bit like Polly Walker (English actress from 'Rome')

Oooo... if Mercury gets back into the "Sign of the Cat" marketing theme, I'll be all for it! Mercury Lynx and Cougar, come on back, you've been missed!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room